[lojban] Re: grammar oddity challenge

Rob Speer

Mar 24, 2004, 12:39:28 PM3/24/04
to lojba...@lojban.org
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:00:04PM -0800, Jorge Llamb?as wrote:

> Find a brivla which can appear ONLY at the beginning of a text.

Does "bu zei broda" work?
--
mu'o mi'e rab.spir

Jorge Llamb�as

Mar 24, 2004, 1:39:44 PM3/24/04
to loj...@yahoogroups.com

--- Rob Speer <rsp...@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:00:04PM -0800, Jorge Llamb?as wrote:
> >
> > Find a brivla which can appear ONLY at the beginning of a text.
>
> Does "bu zei broda" work?

{bu zei broda} can be used anywhere, because zei acts before bu,
but you were close. The answer I had in mind was any brivla of
the form {zei zei <any-word>}.

For example:

zei zei lujvo fa lo selbri be di'u
The selbri of this sentence is a zei-lujvo.

But if we try to put something in front of the brivla
{zei zei lujvo}, we get:

lo selbri be di'u zei zei lujvo

which tries to attach the brivla {di'u zei zei} with be,
or:

lo selbri be di'u cu zei zei lujvo
The selbri of this sentence type of cu-zei type of lujvo.

which is just a sumti.

There is a way to cheat, however:

lo selbri be di'u cu zo zei zei lujvo
The selbri of this sentence is a "zei"-lujvo

which works because {zo} acts before {zei}.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Jorge Llamb�as

Mar 23, 2004, 5:00:04 PM3/23/04
to loj...@yahoogroups.com

Find a brivla which can appear ONLY at the beginning of a text.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

Jorge Llamb�as

Mar 24, 2004, 4:23:00 PM3/24/04
to Craig, lojba...@lojban.org

--- Craig <ragn...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:00:04PM -0800, Jorge Llamb?as wrote:
> >
> >The answer I had in mind was any brivla of
> >the form {zei zei <any-word>}.
>
> Is that even a brivla? Because, technically, it doesn't valsi.

If it is, it is indeed a boundary case.

It is a brivla at least in parser terms:
"a. Token sequences of the form any - (ZEI - any) ..., where
there may be any number of ZEIs, are merged into a single token
of selma'o BRIVLA."

Also, for example in the rule
lerfu-word = BY | any-word BU

{zei zei lujvo} is a case of "any-word". So {zei zei lujvo bu}
(but only at the beginning of text!) is a lerfu-word.