[lojban] Re: Question on "ro"

Jorge Llamb�as

Nov 7, 2003, 6:10:47 PM11/7/03
to lojba...@lojban.org

--- "Stefan \"1of3\" Koch" <OneOf...@gmx.net> wrote:
> coi.
>
> Some time ago there was a discussion on this list whether "ro" is importing
> or not. I wasn't able to follow the discussion at that time since I didn't
> have enough knowledge of logics.
>
> By now I am a student of math (and Latin but that doesn't matter here) and I
> can see the problem. I just don't know what the result of the discussion
> was. I don't want to start the discussion all over again but I want to know
> whether any consensus was found.
>
> ki'e mu'omi'e ctefan.

You may or may not find the answer here: :)

<http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meaning+of+ro>

http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meaning+of+ro

mu'o mi'e xorxes

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

And Rosta

Nov 8, 2003, 8:38:58 AM11/8/03
to loj...@yahoogroups.com
xod:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jorge Llamb�as wrote:
>

> > --- "Stefan \"1of3\" Koch" <OneOf...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > coi.
> > >
> > > Some time ago there was a discussion on this list whether "ro" is
importing
> > > or not. I wasn't able to follow the discussion at that time since I
didn't
> > > have enough knowledge of logics.
> > >
> > > By now I am a student of math (and Latin but that doesn't matter here)
and I
> > > can see the problem. I just don't know what the result of the
discussion
> > > was. I don't want to start the discussion all over again but I want to
know
> > > whether any consensus was found.
> > >
> > > ki'e mu'omi'e ctefan.
> >
> > You may or may not find the answer here: :)

<http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meani
ng+of+ro>

http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meanin
g+of+ro

> Whether or not a consensus was found probably depends on whom you ask.

There was consensus that it is appropriate to have a cardinal number
that expresses whatever is the cardinality of the set the number
is applied to; that is, meaning "(For) as many x as there are". There
was slightly less than unanimous agreement that this should be the
meaning of the word {ro}, the dissenters being John Cowan and pc,
who held that {ro} should mean "Each of the at least one x". The
issue was pretty thoroughly discussed, so I imagine that if this
issue gets attended to by the BF, then it would go a straight vote,
where nonimporting ro would win.

--And.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GSaulB/TM

Invent Yourself

Nov 7, 2003, 6:51:40 PM11/7/03
to lojba...@lojban.org

--
Implicit in the term "national defense" is the notion of defending those
values and ideals which set this Nation apart.

Stefan "1of3" Koch

Jordan DeLong

Nov 7, 2003, 8:23:37 PM11/7/03
to lojba...@lojban.org
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 06:51:40PM -0500, Invent Yourself wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jorge Llambías wrote:
> > --- "Stefan \"1of3\" Koch" <OneOf...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > coi.
> > >
> > > Some time ago there was a discussion on this list whether "ro" is importing
> > > or not. I wasn't able to follow the discussion at that time since I didn't
> > > have enough knowledge of logics.
> > >
> > > By now I am a student of math (and Latin but that doesn't matter here) and I
> > > can see the problem. I just don't know what the result of the discussion
> > > was. I don't want to start the discussion all over again but I want to know
> > > whether any consensus was found.
> > >
> > > ki'e mu'omi'e ctefan.
> >
> > You may or may not find the answer here: :)
> >
> > <http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meaning+of+ro>
> >
> > http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=quantification+and+the+meaning+of+ro
>
> Whether or not a consensus was found probably depends on whom you ask.

Note that this is one of the types of things the bpfk was supposed
to make official statements on, as a contradiction can be found in
CLL on the topic: it both asserts that ro is importing and declares
rules for naku boundaries which require it to be nonimporting.

--
Jordan DeLong - frac...@allusion.net
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u