[lojban] Re: Quoting "zoi"

sshiskom

Apr 21, 2003, 9:49:23 PM4/21/03
to loj...@yahoogroups.com
I wrote:
> On IRC, I tried to quote the word {zoi} and wrote {zo zoi}.
> Surprisingly, jbofi'e didn't parse it. So I checked Reference
> Grammar, and it seems ZOI takes precedence over ZO.

Jordan DeLong replied:
> Where's it say that? The bnf looks like they should be at the same
> level. It's just a bug in jbofi'e. The official parser supports
> it (though it does use an older version of the grammar).

It is stated at Chapter 21 of Reference Grammar. You are right in
that in BNF, they are at the same level, but RefGram states:

> In case of discrepancies, the YACC version is official.

So let's look up the YACC version. Following is a verbatim copy
from RefGram:

----
Step 2 - Filtering

>From start to end, performing the following filtering and lexing
tasks using the given order of precedence in case of conflict:

a. If the Lojban word ``zoi'' (selma'o ZOI) is identified, take the
following Lojban word (which should be end delimited with a pause for
separation from the following non-Lojban text) as an opening
delimiter. Treat all text following that delimiter, until that
delimiter recurs *after a pause*, as grammatically a single token
(labelled 'anything_699' in this grammar). There is no need for
processing within this text except as necessary to find the closing
delimiter.

b. If the Lojban word ``zo'' (selma'o ZO) is identified, treat the
following Lojban word as a token labelled 'any_word_698', instead of
lexing it by its normal grammatical function.
----

Note the phrase, "using the given order of precedence in case of
conflict."

mi'e sanxiyn.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/GSaulB/TM

sshiskom

Apr 21, 2003, 4:10:24 AM4/21/03
to loj...@yahoogroups.com
On IRC, I tried to quote the word {zoi} and wrote {zo zoi}.
Surprisingly, jbofi'e didn't parse it. So I checked Reference
Grammar, and it seems ZOI takes precedence over ZO.

Is there any reason for this? It makes quoting the word {zoi}
difficult -- I am obliged to say {zoi gy. zoi .gy} or something
like that. On the other hand, if ZO takes precedence over ZOI,
the word {zo} would be {zo zo} and the word {zoi} would be
{zo zoi}. I see no disadvantage and one advantage of this
idea over current baseline.

Jordan DeLong

Apr 21, 2003, 10:15:35 AM4/21/03
to lojba...@lojban.org

--
Jordan DeLong - frac...@allusion.net
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u