year of LODLAM

Jon Voss

Sep 26, 2011, 5:54:48 PM9/26/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
It's been amazing to see how much Linked Open Data is showing up everywhere lately!  And it's people who are working on it in very different ways starting to bump into each other to realize they can leverage each other and see what they can work on together.

On Sept. 16th, we did a day of LODLAM at the Smithsonian, and I gave a presentation on the Introduction to LODLAM, or, let the dj in the library (feel free to use or tweak the presentation or any of the slides for you own presentations!).  That afternoon, a lot of folks from this list and others got together for open sessions to share notes and continue to move the conversation forward.

One thing I realized at LODLAM-DC the other week is that there are enough people that get it and want to look into moving forward that we need to make sure that we've got vendors and consultants offering services, and workshops to start building things, built into the day long retreats and meetings we're convening.

To that end, have you seen this great project, Free Your Metadata?  I just heard about it this morning.  Seb Chan of the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney has a little intro and interview.  It seems to me that these kinds of screen shares and workshops keep us moving in the right direction: toward implementation.

I keep meaning to post a list of all of the various conferences and such that people are putting together LODLAM-like workshops or talks...  feel free to post any you're doing here.  A few people have contacted me about doing things at Museums in the Web in San Diego April 11-14... I'm thinking there may be enough interest to do a day of LODLAM there with various sessions and especially workshops.  Let me know if you'd be into that.

Some other things I know are coming up...
--Tomorrow: Kris Carpenter Negulescu will be in DC tomorrow to give a 2 minute talk on proceedings of the LODLAM Summit at the NEH ODH lightning talks....
--Oct. 6 LODLAM-London at the Open Knowledge Foundation
--Oct. 31-Nov 2 DLF Fall Forum has mad Linked Open Data sessions and workshops
--Nov. 16-19 Museum Computer Network will have several LODLAM workshops, plus a THATCamp where I'll be throwing in at least one LODLAM session.
--Dec 1 all day LODLAM-NZ in Wellington, following the New Zealand Digital Forum

Thanks! Jon

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco

www.historypin.com
www.wearewhatwedo.org

Antoine Isaac

Sep 26, 2011, 6:18:28 PM9/26/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

While we're at banging drums and celebrating awareness to LOD in the field (A Good Thing, thanks, Jon!), there's also quite some other stuff on the European side of the herring-pond, these days.

Next week, a couple of related presentations and discussions at the coming EuropeanaTech:
http://www.europeanaconnect.eu/europeanatech/

Of course it was a core topic of interest at two conferences last week:
- Dublin Core 2011 (http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/dc-2011)
- UDC seminar (http://seminar.udcc.org/2011/)

And I expect it to be also present at this week's TPDL (http://www.tpdl2011.org/) notably through these two workshops:
- http://sda2011.dke-research.de/
- http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/pages/research/hypermedia/nkos/nkos2011/

Cheers,

Antoine

PS: Having gone to all these I'll have to miss the London event, sadly :-/

> Hi everyone,
> It's been amazing to see how much Linked Open Data is showing up everywhere lately! And it's people who are working on it in very different ways starting to bump into each other to realize they can leverage each other and see what they can work on together.
>

> On Sept. 16th, we did a day of LODLAM at the Smithsonian, and I gave a presentation on the Introduction to LODLAM, or, let the dj in the library <http://lod-lam.net/summit/2011/09/15/intro-to-lodlam-talk-live-from-the-smithsonian/> (feel free to use or tweak the presentation or any of the slides for you own presentations!). That afternoon, a lot of folks from this list and others got together for open sessions to share notes and continue to move the conversation forward.

> One thing I realized at LODLAM-DC the other week is that there are enough people that get it and want to look into moving forward that we need to make sure that we've got vendors and consultants offering services, and workshops to start building things, built into the day long retreats and meetings we're convening.
>

> To that end, have you seen this great project, Free Your Metadata <http://bit.ly/pxB0l9>? I just heard about it this morning. Seb Chan of the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney has a little intro and interview. It seems to me that these kinds of screen shares and workshops keep us moving in the right direction: toward implementation.

> I keep meaning to post a list of all of the various conferences and such that people are putting together LODLAM-like workshops or talks... feel free to post any you're doing here. A few people have contacted me about doing things at Museums in the Web in San Diego April 11-14... I'm thinking there may be enough interest to do a day of LODLAM there with various sessions and especially workshops. Let me know if you'd be into that.
>
> Some other things I know are coming up...
> --Tomorrow: Kris Carpenter Negulescu will be in DC tomorrow to give a 2 minute talk on proceedings of the LODLAM Summit at the NEH ODH lightning talks....

> --Oct. 6 LODLAM-London <http://lodlamlon11.eventbrite.com/> at the Open Knowledge Foundation

> --Oct. 31-Nov 2 DLF Fall Forum has mad Linked Open Data sessions and workshops
> --Nov. 16-19 Museum Computer Network will have several LODLAM workshops, plus a THATCamp where I'll be throwing in at least one LODLAM session.

> --Dec 1 all day LODLAM-NZ <http://lodlamnz.doattend.com/> in Wellington, following the New Zealand Digital Forum
>
> Thanks! Jon
>
> *Jon Voss
> Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director*
> ph. 415-935-4701

> *We Are What We Do** *
> London | San Francisco
>
> www.historypin.com <http://www.historypin.com/>
> www.wearewhatwedo.org <http://www.wearewhatwedo.org/>

jal

Oct 3, 2011, 10:01:40 AM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

These are great resources! I have to make a presentation on Friday to an audience of non-technical folks who know nothing of linked or open data, and I can use some of this stuff for inspiration.

Are there any sites or presentations that people can suggest to help me sell linked data, linked data in action, visualisations, that kind of thing?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Julie

Francisca Hernández

Oct 3, 2011, 10:50:41 AM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you try this
http://www.stanford.edu/group/ruralwest/cgi-bin/drupal/visualizations/us_newspapers
This visualization plots over 140,000 newspapers published over three centuries in the United States. The data comes from the Library of Congress' "Chronicling America" project, which maintains a regularly updated directory of newspapers.

Regards
Francisca Hernández

Jodi Schneider

Oct 3, 2011, 11:07:09 AM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julie & all,

There's a list of presentations here:
http://w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Presentations

Eventually this will move to a public wiki page which is editable; it could use some curation/organizing!

Good luck with your presentation, and send us a link so we can add it to the list!

-Jodi

Jon Voss

Oct 3, 2011, 12:21:11 PM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com, jal
Just to add one more to the mix, I really like this presentation I stumbled across not too long ago from Emily Nimsakont:
http://www.slideshare.net/enimsakont/what-is-linked-data-and-what-does-it-mean-for-libraries-alao-tedsig-spring-meeting

One of the things I realized at the LODLAM-DC meetup the other week was that everyday users expect so much flashy animated visualizations from the web at this point, that it's tough to sell something that amounts to an investment in infrastructure. While we see the importance and the need and the way Linked Data has the potential to change the way we use the web, a museum or library administrator may expect to see something that knocks their socks off. It's just not there yet.

I like Francisca's shoutout to the rural newspapers visualization... it shows that people can build all kinds of things from Open metadata, and the more that is out there, and the more it is Linked, the more data we can discover and build upon.

Let us know what you come up with!

Jon

Francisca Hernández

Oct 3, 2011, 12:30:57 PM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julie,
I have just receive this announcement and could be useful for you

“UK repositories contain a wealth of high quality research papers. This service should help make it easier for researchers to discover and explore this content. CORE is an exciting demonstration of how JISC’s investment in emerging semantic technologies is being harnessed to benefit researchers.”

Francisca Hernández

Yves Jaques

Oct 3, 2011, 12:35:03 PM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
You might be interested in our OpenAgris beta, that uses metadata in bibliographic records and links to our AGROVOC LOD Vocabulary along with other things like DBPedia:

(Just click on the OpenAgris link at the top)

cheers,
Yves

2011/10/3 Francisca Hernández <fhcar...@gmail.com>

--
"Ethos anthropoi daimon..."
- Heraclitus of Ephesus

Ross Singer

Oct 3, 2011, 8:57:52 PM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
2011/10/3 Francisca Hernández <fhcar...@gmail.com>:

> Maybe you try this
> http://www.stanford.edu/group/ruralwest/cgi-bin/drupal/visualizations/us_newspapers
> This visualization plots over 140,000 newspapers published over three
> centuries in the United States. The data comes from the Library of Congress'
> "Chronicling America" project, which maintains a regularly updated directory
> of newspapers.
> Regards
> Francisca Hernández

Ah, neat. Jotting that one down.

Likewise, I always have found that Ian Davis' LinkSailor really turns
on lightbulbs over people's heads when they see it (and what it's done
is explained to them).

http://linksailor.com/nav

-Ross.

Roy Tennant

Oct 4, 2011, 12:23:14 PM10/4/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
I hate to say it, but Ian Davis' great work not only illustrates the
potential of linked data, but also the difficulty of getting this right. For
example, plug in this URI and see what you get:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/San_Francisco

Seems straightforward, right? And at first it looks good, but scroll down.

So...how does New Jersey fit in? That's right, among other things "Nearby"
is Weehawken, NJ. Guess I don't have to fly back east after all...

I guess the upshot is that the links are only as good as, well, the links
themselves and also how we process them -- for example, the assumptions we
make. It's clearly still early days.
Roy

Ross Singer

Oct 4, 2011, 1:48:22 PM10/4/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Roy Tennant <tenn...@oclc.org> wrote:
> I hate to say it, but Ian Davis' great work not only illustrates the
> potential of linked data, but also the difficulty of getting this right. For
> example, plug in this URI and see what you get:
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/San_Francisco
>
> Seems straightforward, right? And at first it looks good, but scroll down.
>
> So...how does New Jersey fit in? That's right, among other things "Nearby"
> is Weehawken, NJ. Guess I don't have to fly back east after all...

Actually, Roy, you just need some perspective. Compared to
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Alpha_Centauri, Weehawken is spitting
distance.

But, point taken, GIGO - although that's hardly isolated to Linked Data.

Take, for instance:
http://worldcat.org/identities/find?fullName=michael+jackson

First hit:
http://worldcat.org/identities/viaf-NLA|000035239611

Or:
http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n82-18890

Data is messy. We can't let that deter us from using it, though.

-Ross.

Thomas Baker

Oct 4, 2011, 3:23:44 PM10/4/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 09:23:14AM -0700, Roy Tennant wrote:
> I hate to say it, but Ian Davis' great work not only illustrates the
> potential of linked data, but also the difficulty of getting this right. For
> example, plug in this URI and see what you get:
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/San_Francisco
>
> Seems straightforward, right? And at first it looks good, but scroll down.
>
> So...how does New Jersey fit in? That's right, among other things "Nearby"
> is Weehawken, NJ. Guess I don't have to fly back east after all...

Hmm - I'm not getting the same results. My browser shows the nearest
cities to be:

dbpedia:Phillip_Burton_Wilderness
dbpedia:Candlestick_Point_State_Recreation_Area
dbpedia:Golden_Gate_National_Recreation_Area
dbpedia:Farallon_Islands
dbpedia:San_Francisco_Maritime_National_Historical_Park
dbpedia:Alcatraz_Island
dbpedia:Blue_Ridge_Berryessa_Natural_Area

??

Tom

--
Tom Baker <t...@tombaker.org>

Kevin Ford

Oct 4, 2011, 3:43:40 PM10/4/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
What Roy noted is true. Be sure to enter the URI he provided (versus
selecting the "San Francisco" link from the linksailor homepage - this
tripped me up too).

Try this: http://bit.ly/qc7Ens

Warmly,

Kevin

jal

Oct 8, 2011, 8:18:34 AM10/8/11
to Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives, & Museums
Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. My presentation
at the Tate, London went down pretty well and there was a really
engaged discussion afterwards.

If anyone is interested, my presentation is here: http://slidesha.re/oTv93R

Best,

Julie