Significant vote from European National Librarians

Richard Wallis

Oct 3, 2011, 3:30:45 PM10/3/11
to lod-lam
Something that could be significant in the furtherance of the LOD-LAM cause in European National Libraries seemed to go mostly unnoticed last week was a vote in Copenhagen to support the open licensing of their data.

"….it will mean that vast quantities of trustworthy data are available for Linked Open Data developments"

That of course if they go about it in the right way: http://tinyurl.com/6kwgjvb

--
Richard Wallis
Technology Evangelist, Talis

Paul Keller

Oct 3, 2011, 4:01:17 PM10/3/11
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On 3 Oct 2011, at 21:30, Richard Wallis wrote:

> Something that could be significant in the furtherance of the LOD-LAM cause in European National Libraries seemed to go mostly unnoticed last week was a vote in Copenhagen to support the open licensing of their data.
>
> "….it will mean that vast quantities of trustworthy data are available for Linked Open Data developments"

this development actually goes further than just the European National Libraries realm. On 22 november the EDL foundation (that this the foundation running Europeana) has approved the new Europeana Data Exchange Agreement (DEA) which requires that Europeana's data providers authorize Europeana to republish all the metadata that they provide to Europeana under CC0. There is a bit of a transition period from the current - much more restrictive - agreements to the new DEA but Europeana expects that they will be able to publish all their metadata under CC0 by june of next year.

The EDF's announcement has started to trigger announcements by other organizations that they will adopt the DEA (the CENL statement mentioned by Richard is one of them, but there have been other for example by the EUscreen consortium. We hope and expect to see more announcements of this type in the coming weeks… best/paul

--
Kennisland | Knowledgeland
t: +31205756720 | m: +31641374687