Discussion on current-progress

Message has been deleted

Local

Apr 25, 2008, 12:25:15 PM4/25/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
Hi All,
In an attempt to organize the dicussion forum so it has some sort of
logic to it I have made the following new "Pages" for the discussion
group:
1 - Current Overall Progress, Plans & Needs - The
LocalSustainability.Com Pages
2 - Concerning General Resources That Supports The Local Concept
3 - Concerning Getting A Neighborhood Forum Started
Anything Specific To Events Or The Events Page
Anything Specific To The Artisians & Crafters Page
Anything Specific To The EAT OUT Page
Anything Specific To The Green House Page
Anything Specific To The LOCAL GROCERIES Page
Anything Specific To The Public Space Page
Anything Specific To The Read, Listen, View Page
Anything Specific To The ReDuce, ReUse, ReCycle Page

Each theme page in LocalSustainabiliy.Com has its own discussion page
here. Please try to discuss and reply to discussions based on the
topic and discussion page theme.

There is also one general page, 1 - Current Overall Progress, Plans &
Needs - The LocalSustainability.Com Pages (This is the page I am using
to send out this email.) We can use this to keep everyone up to speed
on what is going on with the web structure of
LocalSustainability.Com.

One of my current goals is to start getting more people to become part
of our discussion so we can help them understand what the pages are
about and get their insights. The easy part is that we can send them
an "invite" via these pages or tell them to come to the discussion
page and add themselves. Once they do that they should receive an
email of postings. This also allows them to reply to those postings.
The biggest difficulty is that they do need to click on a link in the
email that takes them to this discussion forum, and then take a couple
steps to join. In some cases people have not seen the link or they
did not fully join. Therfore there are some "members" who are not
getting emails yet because they need to do a couple more steps to
"Join". It is more useful to use a Gmail account but it appears that
any email account will work. I will sort through this to see if there
is an easier way to make interested people "members".

So...if you know of anyone who might be interested in what we are
doing please try to help them become "members" of our discussion group
by using the "Invite Members" menu link on the right sidebar of this
page. Or, by having them come to the page and adding themselves
directly. (Our page link: http://groups.google.com/group/local-sustainability-synergy
)

Thanks and have a great day!

Paul
Message has been deleted

Local

Apr 25, 2008, 1:13:28 PM4/25/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
ONE MORE THING...

After playing with Google Groups to find out the best way to View and
Reply to discussions I have discovered that the "Discussions" page is
the friendliest one (on our Google Groups Page [Local Sustainability
Synergy]). Therefore, I have moved that menu item up to just below
the "Home" menu item in the right sidebar. So here are the best ways
to participate in a discussion:

1 - If you receive an email with a particular discussion topic in the
subject AND you want to reply to that discussion then simply hit reply
and send. It should go in the proper discussion.
*NOTE if you want to discuss another topic then DON'T reply using that
email or it will change the discussion topic. Instead go to our
group's page, click on the discussion topic you want and post from
there.

2 - If you have something you want to share you can go directly to our
google group page, find the topic you want under "Discussions" and
post in there.
*NOTE avoid using the "+ New Post" button because that will start a
completely new discussion topic. Instead click on a topic already
listed and respond to that.

I have deleted all the past discussions so we could start fresh and
have discussions that are all organized under the discussion topic
listed.

Sorry about the confusion. I think they could have layed this out
better so it would be harder to make a new discussion topic. Or at
least so it was clear one was doing that.

Keep in mind that no matter what discussion topic you post to an email
will still go out to all full members just as it did before. The only
difference will be the post will stay with the discussion topic.
Message has been deleted

Local

Apr 29, 2008, 10:10:47 AM4/29/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
I have automatically set it up so now everyone will get only one email
from this discussion per day. If more than one posting or email reply
takes place during a given day you will only get one email with a
summary. Hope that helps keep this simple and useuful. Have a great
day!
Message has been deleted

Local

Apr 30, 2008, 2:59:33 PM4/30/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
Hi All,

*Thanks to my friend Bill we now have a contact form for people to
email the pages. I was advised to NOT post the site's email directly
because it allows for spam and could over load us with junk mail.
Every page now has a menu item "Contact Us" which takes them to the
form to fill out. Thanks Bill!

*I cleaned up the Discussion page so people can better view the
discussions. This is where the contact form is also located (The menu
on each page takes one to this page and the form).

*Had a great conversation with Jaki and Rob of Earthwood Building
School (see the Green House page). They gave me some ideas and
contacts and encouraged our work.

Have a great day!

Paul
> > Paul- Hide quoted text -

Message has been deleted

Local

May 7, 2008, 11:34:48 AM5/7/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
Hi All,

I met with Jane from Underwood Herbs yesterday. She is also the
director of the Adirondack Farmer Markets. She was very supportive of
the sites and had many useful ideas. We got her set up with the
beginning of a web site so hopefully soon we can see all the great
things she makes. She also has the Adirondack Botanical Sanctuary in
Chateagay and will be doing Tours in May, June, July and September. I
will get that up on the site as soon as I can get to it. You can also
visit her this weekend at the Plattsburgh Artisians and Crafters
Market downtown this Saturday.

Here is the latest Eat Out place I have visited and added to the
site.
Quiche Et Crepe. It is amazing. Fine French food for and extremely
inexpensive price! It is in the South Gate Plaza just south of
downtown on Route 9 (before you get to Yando's Big M - near the Dry
Dock). My mouth was watering. It is only $4.50 for a home made
asparagus crepe and that includes a salad! Please check it out, I
would hate for this place to go out of business simply because not
enough people know about it. While you are at it check out Michele's
across the plaza. They do take home meals and they looked great too
but it is hard to know they are in the plaza so it is worth spreading
the word.

Got to go eat my lunch. My mouth is literally watering thinking about
both places.

Peace,
Paul

Local

Jun 14, 2008, 6:23:54 PM6/14/08
to Local Sustainability Synergy
Hi All,

Just a quick message to say I am holding off on using this discussion
forum too much until there is a greater need. However, it still shows
support for the site and the "going local" movement by joining the
group and listing yourself as a member. So thanks for adding yourself
and try to get as many others to join as well.

Part of the problem is that for some reason people are still having
difficulty being able to get emails when they join. I am looking into
other options. In the meantime I might use a group email just to let
people know when something significant is taking place.

Have a great day!

Paul