8.0 & 8.2 side by side install

Jason Hendry

Sep 8, 2008, 8:21:24 PM9/8/08
to live...@googlegroups.com
LC'ers,

I've had a bit if a hunt around in various adobe documentation but everything I've read seems to assume an upgrade rather than simultaneous installations of 8.0 and 8.2 (Update 1).  I've tried the configuration manager and it detects the previous installation and provides upgrade or manual installation options.

I'm fairly new to the JEE and LiveCycle scene, so any any fundamental assumptions why you wouldn't want to do this (like incompatible system singleton components) need to be explained.  I'm ok with installing two instances of an application framework and database, better yet, if someone knows of a way to install two versions into a single instance, I'd love to hear it.  I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to a documented process that I can follow.

Thanks in advance,
Jason.

John Nesbitt

Sep 9, 2008, 6:37:06 PM9/9/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
I think you'd find that some of the J2EE things like default
webserver, JMS, etc ports would conflict if you tried to run two
instances at the same time.

I believe that when you upgrade to 8.2, the WSDL exposed by the LC
components are actually the 8.1 specs (and thus I assume all services
are backwards compatible so you essentially mimic having two versions
in the one instance as you wish). You have to append
"lc_version=8.2.1" to the WSDL request to get the latest version, so
it sounds like you can safely upgrade the application server without
being forced to upgrade your processes, forms, etc (I say "sounds
like" because I haven't tried it myself). See
http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/8.2/programLC/programmer/help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=sdkHelp&file=000276.html
for details.

Hope that answers your question,
John.

Jason Hendry

Sep 9, 2008, 10:24:12 PM9/9/08
to live...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.  I can appreciate that a turnkey install using defaults for  resources like ports, which can't be shared, will result in conflicts.  I was thinking more along the lines of Adobe LC components that may conflict when two differing or simultaneous versions are installed.  Otherwise, why would the setup process insist I uninstall the previous version or perform the install manually ?  Why not give me the option to reconfigure the ports for the turnkey install?

As for your comments on WSDL, I can't really add anything constructive, except that you seem to be suggesting the upgrade path, which wasn't what I wanted.  Thanks for the documentary reference, by the way...

So for the moment, the question remains, does anyone know of a documents that details a side by side installation of 8.0 and 8.2 ?

Jason.

Duane Nickull

Sep 9, 2008, 10:45:49 PM9/9/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
I am not 100% sure but I remember some Adobe people having done this with 7.2 and 8.0.  Not sure how successful it was but definitely the drain on system resources if they are both running concurrently would be horrid.  The port conflicts are an issue for sure if you plan to run them at the same time.  I would recommend using two different app server instances (a gut feel more than sound technical advice) but I am sure you could get both on the same app server if you tweaked the port for the mySQL server etc. so there are no conflicts.

Short of any definitive answer, it might be interesting to try to see where things go wrong and share with the group.

Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Duane's World TV Show - http://www.duanesworldtv.org/
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html

Jason Hendry

Sep 9, 2008, 10:48:53 PM9/9/08
to live...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duane,

Interesting, sounds like breaking new ground....  I'll set up a new JBoss instance and see how far I get.

Regards,
Jason.

fred.pantalone

Sep 10, 2008, 10:39:01 AM9/10/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Hey guys,

I can't see how two instances of LC could be installed on the same app
server. The data source be used by both installs because (I assume)
that the data source name is not configurable so both would be using
the same one - which won't work for a multitude of reasons.

Let me know if I'm wrong - this is an interesting thread and a very
good discussion.

Thanks,
Fred

Duane Nickull

Sep 10, 2008, 11:30:58 AM9/10/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Fred:

I would say you’re definitely right.  I recommended that he set up two app servers.

One issue might be CPU RAM.  If each requires a minimum of 2GB but optimally should use 4 GB, that means 8 GB to run them both at once.

I’m putting together a small list of items I think might be helpful.  This is really good stuff!!

Duane Nickull

Sep 10, 2008, 11:32:10 AM9/10/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
I got a reply from Matt, a friend of mine in LC engineering.  His exact words are:

“It's one of those things that could be made to work but unlikely that we'd support.

Thanks,

Matt”

Nevertheless, I am really interested to see how far you get.  Here are some ideas:

  • when you run the Configuration Manager, get the install log to note all possible port conflicts
  • Using two different instances of MySQL would probably be less messy.  You will have to use different ports.
  • Make sure that only one isntaller is running at a time
  • Make sure that no other instance of LC ES is running when the installer for the other is run.
  • Watch out for Workspace conflicts on ports and WSDL conflicts

Good luck!

Duane

On 09/09/08 7:24 PM, "Jason Hendry" <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:

Duane Nickull

Sep 10, 2008, 11:44:57 AM9/10/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Jason:

Not to put pressure on but there are a lot of people here anxious to hear about this experient.

;-)

On 09/09/08 7:24 PM, "Jason Hendry" <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jochem van Dieten

Sep 10, 2008, 11:50:11 AM9/10/08
to live...@googlegroups.com

I have simultaneous installs of different versions of LC on my laptop.
I just can't start them at the same time because of port conflicts. I
don't really know how hard it would e to fix that, I never bothered
since I didn't need that for my use case.
I'll try to wrap up some instructions this weekend.

Jochem

Jochem van Dieten

Sep 15, 2008, 5:14:09 PM9/15/08
to live...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> I have simultaneous installs of different versions of LC on my laptop.
> I just can't start them at the same time because of port conflicts. I
> don't really know how hard it would e to fix that, I never bothered
> since I didn't need that for my use case.
> I'll try to wrap up some instructions this weekend.

http://jochem.vandieten.net/2008/09/15/installing-multiple-versions-of-livecycle-es/

Jochem

Jochem van Dieten

Sep 16, 2008, 4:54:27 PM9/16/08
to live...@googlegroups.com

And the followup article about running them simultaneously:
http://jochem.vandieten.net/2008/09/16/running-multiple-versions-of-livecycle-es-simultaneously/

Jochem

Duane Nickull

Sep 16, 2008, 5:14:29 PM9/16/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers

jason...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2008, 10:51:30 PM9/17/08
to Adobe LiveCycle Developers
Thanks Jochem,

That was just the sort of thing I was looking for.

NOTE: I found an error in the LC ES documentation for preparing a
manual installation. In this document:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/8.2/prepareinstallsingle.pdf

Step 2. under preparing a MySQL data source suggests copying the data
source xml file to the deployment directory and Step 7 suggests saving
it under a different name, however it doesn't suggest removing the
original file. Not removing the original file generated an exception
suggesting an incomplete deployment.

Regards,
Jason.