Any idea when this will be available in the Android Market in other countries?

Paul Sainsbury

Aug 20, 2009, 4:37:11 PM8/20/09
to listen-discuss
Hi,

While this seems to have been made available in the USA already, it's
not yet on the South African Android Market. Any idea how long it
will take to appear in the other markets?

From
Paul

Edson

Aug 20, 2009, 10:11:02 PM8/20/09
to listen-discuss
Good question.

I'd love to have this app but it is not available in Brazil yet.

Edson

El Androide Libre

Aug 20, 2009, 10:13:27 PM8/20/09
to listen-discuss

itsnotvalid

Aug 20, 2009, 10:32:03 PM8/20/09
to listen-discuss
It is even worse than Apple App Store that Android Market doesn't even
allow me to buy apps in my country. Not to mention that non-USA people
couldn't try the newest toy from Google or Voice search in Google
Maps.

El Androide Libre

Aug 20, 2009, 10:54:40 PM8/20/09
to listen-discuss
Friends: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/

Listen for the Other Countries

Thanks for all by El Androide Libre

tylerstyle

Aug 21, 2009, 1:23:27 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
Not available in Germany, either....
That sucks!

In the times of the internet and generally available information, it
is crucial to have worldwide release dates. If you don't want to
localize it directly to every possible language, then at least go for
english, but release you should!

On Aug 21, 4:54 am, El Androide Libre <paolocorrey...@gmail.com>

Ha55an

Aug 21, 2009, 3:12:17 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
Man i am getting tired of this, everytime i get excited about an app,
i get to hear itś US only. WTF. Talk about android being an open
platform.

Ha55an

Aug 21, 2009, 6:06:11 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
a workaround is available for people with rooted phones:

http://groups.google.com/group/listen-discuss/browse_thread/thread/c8bfeef0c3e63efd

linuxluver

Aug 21, 2009, 8:43:04 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
I'm in New Zealand and would like this app - and many, many others.
But, like South Africa, New Zealand has no access to paid apps.

This is becoming very annoying as the Apple App Store offers
everything that is available anywhere. I know Apple has been putting
that together for years. There was a long time when Apple hardware and
software had to be "fake" bought via Australia by New Zealanders......

I know Android Market has some large legal / tax issues to handle in
order to offer paid apps.

But at the same time, I know that if I root my phone, I can by-pass
all that and do whatever I want.

Looks like the answer is obvious....

Ha55an

Aug 21, 2009, 9:11:46 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
a direct link to the apk is available from the link above.

Vorik

Aug 21, 2009, 9:16:06 AM8/21/09
to listen-discuss
The exclusive availability of lab-applications to the US is really
annoying. I didnt buy a phone running on an open-source platform to be
excluded like this.

kristgy

Aug 23, 2009, 7:35:10 AM8/23/09
to listen-discuss
I just want to echo the general sentiment in this thread. Google is
sure succeeding in annoying their customers by this behavior. I was
attracted to Android because of it's supposed openness (in contrast to
Apple's approach to the iPhone). Now, without root access to my own
phone and not being able to view and download paid and many free apps
in the Market, I really wonder if I made the right choice. Of course
it is possible to "root" the phone and enable all parts of the Market
by cracking the operating system, but that is exactly the kind of time
wasting I wanted to avoid by buying an Android phone.

Tigraine

Aug 23, 2009, 4:04:28 PM8/23/09
to listen-discuss
I totally agree. I've been very happy with my Android so far, but not
being able to install a free google application is quite annoying :(

clacks

Aug 24, 2009, 4:09:32 AM8/24/09
to listen-discuss
Here is a link to download the app if it is not available in your
ergion.

http://rapidshare.com/files/270129235/com.google.android.apps.listen.rar

ack

Aug 28, 2009, 12:05:21 PM8/28/09
to listen-discuss
I too would like to know what is up with these language/country
restrictions on Android Market apps once and for all.
Yes I know that for such a general question I probably need to use a
more general group but Google Listen seems to me to be a very good
example to use.

People who want to use Google Listen have probably read about it
somewhere, then visit the GoogleLabs page to find out more. They
(should) know that it currently indexes only English audio and
podcasts (and is probably available only in the English language). So
what? If they still want to use it, they will put up with these
'restrictions' alright, so why keep it off of 'regional' Markets?

To me personally it's like wanting to buy an egg timer, only to hae
the salesperson explain to me in English that s/he can't sell it to me
because the English manual isn't in my assumed preferred language.
Pointless!