Listen 1.1 subscription debugging

Bill Schilit

Feb 18, 2010, 12:58:16 PM2/18/10
to listen-...@googlegroups.com
Here are things to try:

1. reboot the phone (long press the power button then "phone off")
2. connect your phone over wifi
3. access your @gmail.com through the gmail app
4. open listen and try subscribing (long press on item) to a
search/popular search result
5. visit reader.google.com make sure @gmail user on the top right of
the page is the same as step 2

If you don't see a "Listen Subscriptions" folder under "Subscriptions"
section in Reader then if you have the SDK installed do "adb bugreport
> bugreport.txt" after issuing a subscribe action in Listen and
pressing the "fresh items" refresh button. Post the bugreport here.

Bill and Anlu

Bill Schilit

Feb 18, 2010, 1:53:05 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
It is better to email the bugreport.txt files to me rather than
posting here.

Bill

Message has been deleted

jrickner

Feb 18, 2010, 3:41:28 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
I had this same problem-

then i subscribed to the podcast feeds in google reader and created a
folder called "Listen Subscriptions" to put them in.
after that, i opened up listen and viola.. all the podcasts i
subcribed to in google reader are now there.- and they download/stream
very quickly without skips or lags.

On Feb 18, 1:23 pm, chrisdaida <chris.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not only do I not see a "Listen Subscriptions" folder. Everytime I
> check Reader, Listen wipes out all subscriptions when I go back into
> the app. This is incredibly frustrating.
>
> I followed the directions you outlined above, I also performed the
> following actions in order:
>
> uninstalled Listen
> cleared out ALL of my subscriptions and folders in Reader
> logged out of all Google sessions from the browser and cleared the
> browser cache
> restarted my phone (Nexus One with the update)
> reinstalled Listen
> retried the instructions in this post.
>
> Same result. Reader shows no folder, and when I back out of Listen and
> relaunch the app, any subscriptions I've added are wiped out. I
> actually see the subscriptions vanish one by one. In other words, when
> I go into My Subscriptions, I see the list, but a second later, the
> list begins to depopulate right in front of my eyes.
>
> I am really displeased with this product. It's been nothing short of
> one headache after another.

Anlu Wang

Feb 18, 2010, 4:42:56 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
In addition to the steps above, try the following:

Go into Dialer and enter the number *#*#CHECKIN#*#*. This will make
sure your phone is up to date. There will not be any visible
confirmation. After this try subscribing again.

We're still very much interested in tracking down these problems. Send
us mail or post on this board with any additional information, please
include the Device Type and Build Number (found under "Build Number"
in About phone in the system settings).

Anlu

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Len M.

Feb 18, 2010, 5:05:50 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
Well, this is a viable workaround for me as well. As jrickner
suggested, I added a podcast RSS feed in Google Reader and assigned it
to a new folder named "Listen Subscriptions". It correctly shows up in
Google Listen.

However, I am still unable to subscribe to podcast feeds from Listen
itself.

Thanks, jrickner =)

Message has been deleted

Mark

Feb 18, 2010, 7:36:52 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
By any chance is your Android Phone synced to a Google Apps (i.e.: not
GMail address) email address? My Nexus One was setup using my Google
Apps account, and I had no luck getting Listen to sync with Reader as
well. However, I reset my phone to use my GMail account, and now
Listen works great - syncing of podcasts between Listen and Reader
works both ways.

BTW, my Google Apps email address is listed as an alternate address
for my GMail account. For example, I can log into Reader using my
Google Apps email address, but the address listed in the upper-right
is my GMail address.

Message has been deleted

Len M.

Feb 18, 2010, 8:41:10 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
I can confirm this as well. When I turned off Wifi on my Nexus One and
added a subscription (on AT&T EDGE), the subscription was successfully
added to my Google Reader account. Great find, Chris!

On Feb 18, 7:16 pm, chrisdaida <chris.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anlu,
>
> I went through an EXHAUSTING round of factory resetting with my
> regular Google account, all ending with the same result.
>
> What I discovered next just makes no sense, but it is the only thing
> that works. You're going to think I'm crazy, but I've narrowed down
> the issue, at least on my setup, to syncing over a wifi connection!
> I've repeated this several times and I am just beside myself.
>
> With my regular account, whenever I would add a subscription, the sync
> notification that would appear in the notification bar would appear
> for no more than a second. I did a factory reset on my phone and
> signed in with an alternate Google account. With the second account,
> the sync icon would appear for much longer (then I would check Reader
> and find that the subscription was indeed  added). So I thought there
> was an issue with my regular account. But then I realized I was
> connecting over 3G with the second account and wanted to rule out a
> slower connection as the cause of the extended duration of the
> appearance of the sync icon. I connected over wifi, tried to add a
> subscription, and, sure enough, the icon flashed for no more than a
> second and my subscription was not added to Reader (and the
> subscription subsequently vanished from my Listen list moments later).
> Puzzled, and worried that now my second account was borked, I turned
> off wifi and tried to add a subscription in Listen over 3G. The
> subscription took!
>
> Then I did another factory reset, signed in with my regular account.
> Tried to add a subscription over 3G. Guess what? THAT worked too!
>
> What in the world is going on? Am I the only one having issues
> connecting over wifi?
>
> Chris
>
> On Feb 18, 11:55 am, Chris Daida <chris.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I just tried the manual folder creation in Reader. The subscription
> > worked, but only one way. Any subscriptions I add in Reader shows up and
> > stays in my list in the Listen app, but subscriptions added in Listen get
> > deleted upon relaunching.
>
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Chris Daida <chris.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Anlu,
>
> > > Thanks. I just tried your suggestion. I received a "Checkin success" alert
> > > in the notifications pane, but the subscription still vanished. I'm going to
> > > try creating the folder manually to see what happens.

Len M.

Feb 18, 2010, 9:10:27 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
It now appears adding with Wifi enabled works as well. So I don't know
if Google fixed something on the backend in the meantime or if getting
one successful subscription with Wifi off did. Either way I'm a happy
camper now! =)

Len M.

Feb 18, 2010, 9:33:29 PM2/18/10
to listen-discuss
Welp, it's broken again. I know I'm not crazy because the two
subscriptions I just added (one on EDGE, one of Wifi) are still there.
But I just tried to add another and it's back to failing (on both Wifi
and EDGE). I'm also unable to Unsubscribe from Listen. So I'm guessing
my two successes were during some window of opportunity that has since
closed. I'll stop flooding this thread now, hope you guys can get this
fixed soon. I appreciate all the hard work it takes and know it isn't
easy. Thanks.
Message has been deleted

jrray

Feb 22, 2010, 6:37:02 AM2/22/10
to listen-discuss
Thanks for that.

I was not getting a "Listen Subscriptions" folder in Reader, and all
my subscriptions added inside Listen would be deleted after quitting
Listen and reopening it.

I tried disabling wifi, and once I added a subscription in Listen with
wifi off, the "Listen Subscriptions" folder was created in Reader.

Any new subscriptions I add with wifi on will not survive a Listen
restart, and do not appear in Reader. But, any new subscriptions I add
with wifi off will survive a restart and do appear in Reader. Bizarre
bug!

Message has been deleted