autorespond solutions

wat...@fongaboo.com

Nov 20, 2006, 1:31:43 PM11/20/06

wondering what everyone's recommendations for autoresponder solutions are
with postfix. before i switched to postfix, i was using the autorespond
that is in FreeBSD ports along with qmail. Don't think that can be made to
work with postfix tho.

-FONG

shot through the heart ooh baby do you know what that's worth
and you're to blame ooh heaven is a place on earth
darling you give love they say in heaven love comes first
a bad name we'll make heaven a place on earth
ORBITAL "Halcyon Live"

LeonardoRodriguesMagalhães

Nov 20, 2006, 2:41:43 PM11/20/06

Almost everyone's recomendation about autoresponders would be: DONT.

But if your stupid boss demands it, i would recommend yaa
(http://frost.ath.cx/software/yaa/). It's not that trivial to configure,
but works just fine after some hours of fighting with the confs :)

--

Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
Leonardo Rodrigues

gert...@solutti.com.br
My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

Evan Platt

Nov 20, 2006, 1:45:15 PM11/20/06
At 10:31 AM 11/20/2006, you wrote:

>wondering what everyone's recommendations for autoresponder
>solutions are with postfix. before i switched to postfix, i was
>using the autorespond that is in FreeBSD ports along with qmail.
>Don't think that can be made to work with postfix tho.

Honestly, this is discussed about once a week.

IMHO, as Barbara Bush said, Just Say NO!

I can't tell you how many lists I'm on where I end up getting a "I'm
out of the office" reply. It's annoying.

Charles Marcus

Nov 20, 2006, 1:47:44 PM11/20/06

Totally unrealistic answer.

The fact is, many big corp execs will *demand* this kind of
functionality. Besides, if it is implemented properly, most list

Best regards,

Charles

Evan Platt

Nov 20, 2006, 1:56:04 PM11/20/06
At 10:47 AM 11/20/2006, you wrote:

>The fact is, many big corp execs will *demand* this kind of
>functionality. Besides, if it is implemented properly, most list

A ISP I worked at a few years ago had a autoresponder for our
engineering department to open up trouble tickets. An occasional spam
got through, no biggie. It based it on the subject, so if you sent
two e-mails, you'd get two tickets.That was the intent. Obviously, if
you replied, it would add to the ticket.

One customer of ours sent a e-mail to engineering, then turned on
some auto responder, then left the office. The autoresponder didn't
keep the subject the same, and munged everything else, so basically
he sent his e-mail, our ticketing system sent a reply. His auto
responder replied, we opened another ticket and auto responded, he
autoresponded, we autoresponded, etc.

I think since it happened on an evening, over 700 tickets were opened
before we temporarily shut down the auto responder, and modified our
ticketing system to I think blackhole him. :-D

Charles Marcus

Nov 20, 2006, 2:01:30 PM11/20/06
>> The fact is, many big corp execs will *demand* this kind of
>> functionality. Besides, if it is implemented properly, most list

> A ISP I worked at a few years ago had a autoresponder for our
> engineering department to open up trouble tickets. An occasional spam
> got through, no biggie. It based it on the subject, so if you sent two
> e-mails, you'd get two tickets.That was the intent. Obviously, if you
> replied, it would add to the ticket.
>
> One customer of ours sent a e-mail to engineering, then turned on some
> auto responder, then left the office. The autoresponder didn't keep the
> subject the same, and munged everything else, so basically he sent his
> e-mail, our ticketing system sent a reply. His auto responder replied,
> we opened another ticket and auto responded, he autoresponded, we
> autoresponded, etc.

Heh - yeah, I'm not saying that there aren't broken implementations,
thats for sure...

An intelligent auto-responder also won't respond to messages from the
same sender every time - some are configurable - ie, you could set it to
not reply to the same sender more than once every 4 hours...

--

Best regards,

Charles

Alexandre Balistrieri

Nov 20, 2006, 2:03:52 PM11/20/06
On Monday 20 November 2006 16:31, wat...@fongaboo.com wrote:
> wondering what everyone's recommendations for autoresponder solutions are
> with postfix. before i switched to postfix, i was using the autorespond
> that is in FreeBSD ports along with qmail. Don't think that can be made to
> work with postfix tho.
>
> -FONG

My example.

Main.cf
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

/home/watson/.procmailrc
:0 hc
* !^FROM_DAEMON
| (formail -r -I"Precedence: Junk" \
-A"X-Loop: wat...@fongaboo.com" ; \
echo "Auto-respond text") | $SENDMAIL -t

--
[]s
Bali

Victor Duchovni

Nov 20, 2006, 2:17:47 PM11/20/06
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:01:30PM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

> An intelligent auto-responder also won't respond to messages from the
> same sender every time - some are configurable - ie, you could set it to
> not reply to the same sender more than once every 4 hours...

DON'T auto-respond:

- To the header "From:" or "Reply-To:" addresses, use the envelope
sender address (which may be present in the Return-Path header).

- When the envelope sender is <>

- When the envelope sender starts with "owner-"

- When envelope sender localpart ends with "-request"

- When the headers include "Precedence: bulk" or "Precedence: junk"

- When the headers include "Auto-Submitted: not-no", where "not-no"
is any value other than "no".

- When the headers include "List-Something:" headers (List-Help,
List-Unsubscribe, ...).

- When the subject includes text from your auto-response subject.

- When the subject matches popular "Out of office" subject patterns.

Read http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3834.txt

When auto-responding:

- Add "Precedence: junk"

- Add "Auto-Submitted: auto-replied"

- Set the envelope sender to <>

- Append a portion of the original subject (truncated if the total
length is too large) to your subject.

- Set the "From: " header to an address that does not elicit
auto-responses is perhaps rejected.

- Set "Reply-To:" to an address that is read by a human.

- Whenever possible don't autorespond to the same sender for some
time.

--
Viktor.

wat...@fongaboo.com

Nov 20, 2006, 2:41:34 PM11/20/06

Yeah the nice thing about /usr/ports/mail/autorespond for qmail is that it
had a limitation as to how many autoresponses could be invoked per hour or
something like that.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Charles Marcus wrote:

> An intelligent auto-responder also won't respond to messages from the same
> sender every time - some are configurable - ie, you could set it to not reply
> to the same sender more than once every 4 hours...

I know vacation email responders are not popular but I am actually using
autorespond for a different purpose as part of a larger M.O.

In order to stave off webcrawlers, I post my email address on my webpage
with a 3-digit number in the prefix. But once the spammers do get hold of
that particular permutation, I change it to a new number and then block
off the old one. But I also route it to an autoresponder with a message
telling people a temp address to resend to, for bonafide contacts who
might be straggling with the old address. It seems to work pretty well for
me.

-FONG

mouss

Nov 20, 2006, 5:00:19 PM11/20/06
wat...@fongaboo.com wrote:

> wondering what everyone's recommendations for autoresponder solutions
> are with postfix. before i switched to postfix, i was using the
> autorespond that is in FreeBSD ports along with qmail. Don't think
> that can be made to work with postfix tho.

If having a "local" setup, use the old BSD 'vacation' program. It's been
around for a long time.

If you want to implement yours, check the RFC by Keith Moore.

mouss

Nov 20, 2006, 5:10:15 PM11/20/06

so you send an autoreply to

- mailing lists such as this one (did you take the time to check this
the Precedence header of this list?)
- newsletters
- autoreplies
- spam (thus causing bacscatter)

bad, too bad.

Curtis Doty

Nov 20, 2006, 9:08:09 PM11/20/06
11:00pm mouss said:

> If you want to implement yours, check the RFC by Keith Moore.

Great tip, thanks. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834

../C

Mark Watts

Nov 21, 2006, 4:54:59 AM11/21/06

Alexandre Balistrieri

Nov 21, 2006, 5:50:56 AM11/21/06

:-(
I have ONLY one account doing that for temporary conditions.
"Postfix - Richard Blum - Part II Instaling and Configuring Postfix - Page 377
and 378".

--
[]s
Bali

Charles Marcus

Nov 21, 2006, 7:12:55 AM11/21/06
Wow! Thanks Victor - very specific and detailed list of do's and dont's
- it is much appreciated!

--

Best regards,

Charles