Re: save a copy of all mails processed by postfix in a file

peter pilsl

Mar 29, 2007, 12:33:01 PM3/29/07

there was a typo in my subject : I want to save a copy of all mails processed by
postfix, not by procmail. I currently doesnt use procmail at all in my mailchain
and if there is a way to solve my problem without procmail I would be happy :)

thnx
peter

Victor Duchovni

Mar 29, 2007, 12:36:10 PM3/29/07

Some combination of recipient_bcc_maps and virtual delivery to maildir
storage should be able to do the trick and avoid problems with mbox file
size limits and other limitations.

--
Viktor.

MrC

Mar 29, 2007, 12:41:51 PM3/29/07

I use a virtual mailbox to accomplish this:

main.cf:
sender_bcc_maps=pcre:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc
recipient_bcc_maps=pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual_mailbox_domains = bcc.recipient.maildir bcc.sender.maildir

recipient_bcc:
/@example\.com$/ bac...@bcc.recipient.maildir

sender_bcc:
/@example\.com$/ bac...@bcc.sender.maildir

cat vmailbox:
bac...@bcc.sender.maildir backupmail-sent/
bac...@bcc.recipient.maildir backupmail-received/

I archive to Maildir's (vs. mbox), so that recover is much easier, and
archive messages periodically.
Remove the / at the end of the backupmail-sent/ or backupmail-received to
store in mbox format.

MrC

MrC

Mar 29, 2007, 12:45:22 PM3/29/07

> Some combination of recipient_bcc_maps and virtual delivery
> to maildir storage should be able to do the trick and avoid
> problems with mbox file size limits and other limitations.
>
> --
> Viktor.

And as Viktor says, mbox size limits are a *very real* problem, as users
will often resend very large files, believing they are not being delivered,
thus filling your mbox. Then bounces occur, and mail archives are lost
until the mbox is rotated by an admin. Use Maildirs.

MrC