per sender/recipient message size limitation

suneel cumar

Oct 21, 2005, 3:23:31 PM10/21/05
Hi All,

Is any way to describe the per sender/recipient
attachement limit for outgoing and incoming mails.

Any links n documentation n way to acheive this.

Looking for the solution desperately.

Regards,
Suneel

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Magnus Bäck

Oct 21, 2005, 6:14:18 PM10/21/05
On Friday, October 21, 2005 at 21:23 CEST,
suneel cumar <sunee...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is any way to describe the per sender/recipient
> attachement limit for outgoing and incoming mails.

I assume you're talking about a message size limit and not an attachment
size limit.

There is a fundamental problem in that ESMTP announces the maximum
message size before the sender address or any of the recipient addresses
are known, so this is a limitation in the SMTP protocol. Additionally,
even if the client ignores the ESMTP-announced size and we choose to
reject the message after it has been received, that won't work for
messages with two or more recipients with different message size quotas.

So in short no, there is no really good solution because of limitations
in SMTP. Using a custom policy server you could however make more or
less hacky solutions. This has been discussed numerous times before,
so search the archives for more discussions.

--
Magnus Bäck
mag...@dsek.lth.se