Understanding 'delays' log entry

Martin Schmitt

Feb 20, 2007, 11:04:29 AM2/20/07

Victor Duchovni

Feb 20, 2007, 11:55:27 AM2/20/07
On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 05:04:29PM +0100, Martin Schmitt wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I would like to better understand the four 'delays' values logged by the
> smtp transport. According to postconf(5), they mean:
>
> * a = time before the queue manager, including message transmission
> * b = time in queue manager
> * c = time in connection setup, including DNS, EHLO and TLS
> * d = time in message transmission
>
> Can someone point me to a resource where these are described more in
> depth? I would like, for example, to know how they add up during queue
> lifetime and multiple delivery attempts and how they are combined into
> the single 'delay' log entry.

a. Is total time in the queue from queue file creation until the (most
recent) entry of the message into the active queue. This includes time
to receive the message and any previous transmission delays and any
time spent in the deferred queue.

b. Is (most recent) time in the active queue prior to the message being
handed to a delivery agent.

total delay = a + b + c + d.

--
Viktor.