message size limit per recipient

ram

Jun 27, 2007, 10:56:55 AM6/27/07
Can I have a per recipient / recipient domain message_size_limit

Thanks
Ram

Sandy Drobic

Jun 27, 2007, 1:51:08 PM6/27/07
ram wrote:
> Can I have a per recipient / recipient domain message_size_limit

Not with Postfix alone. Please be aware that Postfix by default shows the
size limit in his capabilities before the client has transmitted for which
recipient the mail is intended.

You need a policy server for that. Set the limit to the max allowed and
set size limits in policyd for those users that you want to restrict to a
lesser limit.
--
Sandy

List replies only please!

mouss

Jun 27, 2007, 4:27:07 PM6/27/07
ram wrote:
> Can I have a per recipient / recipient domain message_size_limit

no.

what would you do if a message of 15 Mo is addressed to foo and bar, and
foo has a limit of 20 Mo while bar has a limit of 10 Mo? If you accept
mail for foo but not bar, this will break "conversations" (foo doesn't
know bar didn't get the message). if you block the message, then you
will annoy foo, and if he is a psychopath, he will kill you (and I know
what I am talking about because I am psychopath).

And technically speaking, you only know the real size after you received
the whole message (ESMTP SIZE doesn't help much), and at this time, you
can either accept or reject the message (unlike LMTP, SMTP doesn't have
per recipient status code).