Return-path and from field

Bissio

Nov 28, 2006, 1:12:49 PM11/28/06
Hi all,

i'm receiving a lot of spam messages with return-path different by from
field. How can i check if return-path and from field have the same value and
block the messages with different values?

Thanks

Noel Jones

Nov 28, 2006, 1:20:29 PM11/28/06
At 12:12 PM 11/28/2006, Bissio wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i'm receiving a lot of spam messages with return-path
>different by from
>field. How can i check if return-path and from field have
>the same value and
>block the messages with different values?

You mean like the message you just sent to the list?

- Postfix doesn't have any method to block messages where
the return-path is different from the From: header.
- most mail lists use a different return-path and From: header.
- there are other legitimate cases where the From: header
and return-path differ.

This is a very poor indicator of spam. Find some other way
to block the unwanted mail.

--
Noel Jones

Victor Duchovni

Nov 28, 2006, 1:20:19 PM11/28/06
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 07:12:49PM +0100, Bissio wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm receiving a lot of spam messages with return-path different by from
> field. How can i check if return-path and from field have the same value and
> block the messages with different values?

Start by leaving this list, message you receive have the above
characteristic. This is hardly unique, there is no requirement that
legitimate mail have matching From and envelope sender addresses, and
much does not for good reasons.

--
Viktor.

Wietse Venema

Nov 28, 2006, 1:44:47 PM11/28/06
Bissio:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm receiving a lot of spam messages with return-path different by from
> field. How can i check if return-path and from field have the same value and
> block the messages with different values?

My reply has :

From: wie...@porcupine.org

If you were to block it you would not be able to participate
on a mailing list.

Wietse