FreeBSD Torrent Server

Eric Hildebrandt

Jan 29, 2007, 2:10:23 PM1/29/07
I was wondering if the FreeBSD torrent server will be back online any
time soon? Tryed to download version 6.2 and comes server not there.

Thanks,

Eric

Ted Mittelstaedt

Jan 31, 2007, 3:34:54 AM1/31/07

Jan 31, 2007, 3:40:53 AM1/31/07
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

The only plus behind using torrents really for getting ISOs is reducing
server load on the freebsd.org folks (well, not from a tracker point of
view but rather from a network point of view perhaps?). Other than that,
not much difference nor much benefit in using that method.

I wonder what the effective overall benefit is though really..

-Garrett

Ted Mittelstaedt

Jan 31, 2007, 3:44:44 AM1/31/07

> >> I was wondering if the FreeBSD torrent server will be back online any
> >> time soon? Tryed to download version 6.2 and comes server not there.
> >>

> > Why?
> >
> > FreeBSD isn't commercial software, there's no need to go through
> > all the hocus pocus to conceal the uploader so the RIAA doesen't
> > sue him. Standard FTP works perfectly fine at any of the mirror sites,
> > and you will get your ISO no slower.
> >
> > Ted
>

> The only plus behind using torrents really for getting ISOs is reducing
> server load on the freebsd.org folks (well, not from a tracker point of
> view but rather from a network point of view perhaps?).

The FreeBSD server operators don't pay a dime for bandwidth and
if the bandwidth supplier for freebsd.org made the slightest complaint
about the bandwidth they are donating, there's a passel of ISP's and
networks that would fight each other for the chance of the feather in the
cap that hosting freebsd.org is.

Howard Jones

Jan 31, 2007, 8:09:20 AM1/31/07
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The FreeBSD server operators don't pay a dime for bandwidth and
> if the bandwidth supplier for freebsd.org made the slightest complaint
> about the bandwidth they are donating, there's a passel of ISP's and
> networks that would fight each other for the chance of the feather in the
> cap that hosting freebsd.org is.

Geez. It's good to see that people who donate their resources to a
project are appreciated.

For things the size of ISOs, I generally try and get the torrent because
it allows me to 'donate' some of my bandwidth to distributing the
project too. Since not everyone can donate code or expertise, this seems
like a good way to help, as it does spread the load around more, and (in
our well-connected office at least) I get to be a temporary mirror for
something that is often in demand just after release.

Javier Henderson

Jan 31, 2007, 8:24:09 AM1/31/07

On Jan 31, 2007, at 3:44 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> The FreeBSD server operators don't pay a dime for bandwidth and
> if the bandwidth supplier for freebsd.org made the slightest complaint
> about the bandwidth they are donating, there's a passel of ISP's and
> networks that would fight each other for the chance of the feather
> in the
> cap that hosting freebsd.org is.

What, exactly, is the benefit to an ISP to wear such a feather?

I realize it presents an image of good will, but I wonder how said
benefits compare to the cost of providing the hosting, between
bandwidth, power, and rack space.

Beyond that, showing appreciation for their donation, however small
or big it may be, would be nice, no?

-jav

Jeremy Faulkner

Jan 31, 2007, 4:34:57 PM1/31/07
On 1/31/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> Why?
>
> FreeBSD isn't commercial software, there's no need to go through
> all the hocus pocus to conceal the uploader so the RIAA doesen't
> sue him. Standard FTP works perfectly fine at any of the mirror sites,
> and you will get your ISO no slower.
>
> Ted

Bittorrent does nothing to conceal the uploader's identity.

The RIAA (Recording Industry Association of Amarica) doesn't give a
damn about the piracy of commercial software, the RIAA cares about the
piracy of music distributed by their member companies. <opinion>The
RIAA exists to be the bully for their member companies and to draw the
negative public relations away from those member companies.</opinion>

--
Jeremy Faulkner

Ted Mittelstaedt

Feb 1, 2007, 8:02:02 AM2/1/07

> > FreeBSD isn't commercial software, there's no need to go through
> > all the hocus pocus to conceal the uploader so the RIAA doesen't
> > sue him. Standard FTP works perfectly fine at any of the mirror sites,
> > and you will get your ISO no slower.
> >
> > Ted
>
> Bittorrent does nothing to conceal the uploader's identity.
>
> The RIAA (Recording Industry Association of Amarica) doesn't give a
> damn about the piracy of commercial software, the RIAA cares about the
> piracy of music distributed by their member companies. <opinion>The
> RIAA exists to be the bully for their member companies and to draw the
> negative public relations away from those member companies.</opinion>

Which is exactly why I cannot understand why anyone would want to
use bittorrent to legitimately distribute anything. Why use a service that
the RIAA is actively attacking, because such service is being used to
illegally distribute pirated music?

It's called guilt by association.

For the same reason I would be very dismayed if a large porno site like
playboy.com, hustler.com, etc. put a bunch of banners on their website
offering free downloads of FreeBSD. Those porno sites are being used
for the perfectly legal distribution of images legally obtained, by willing
participants, all above board, monitored, and such. From a technical
perspecitve, the porno sites have some of the best bandwidth available.
You could make a dozen freedom of speech, etc. arguments about how
it would be a great thing if those sites started distributing FreeBSD.

But, it would be nothing more than a public relations disaster.

Sure, bittorrent can be used to legally distribute software. So can porno
sites.
But, with all the number of willing FTP mirrors out there, who are engaged
in
noncontroversial businesses, is it really necessary to deal with bittorrent?

The FreeBSD Beastie was struck from his position as logo for FreeBSD
for some EXTREMELY minor controversy surrounding religions icons.
Well, using a Devil image didn't pirate anyone software or break a law.
Yet Beastie was axed for exactly the same "guilt by association" reasons.

It seems to be EXTREMELY hipocritical to on one hand, strike out Beastie
for some morons based on a guilt by association reason, then on the other
hand turn a blind eye to the guilt by association of using a service,
bittorrent,
that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software and
music,
to distribute FreeBSD.

Ted

Ted Mittelstaedt

Feb 1, 2007, 8:06:44 AM2/1/07

> On Jan 31, 2007, at 3:44 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > The FreeBSD server operators don't pay a dime for bandwidth and
> > if the bandwidth supplier for freebsd.org made the slightest complaint
> > about the bandwidth they are donating, there's a passel of ISP's and
> > networks that would fight each other for the chance of the feather
> > in the
> > cap that hosting freebsd.org is.
>
> What, exactly, is the benefit to an ISP to wear such a feather?

Mainly marketing, if the ISP can handle hosting of freebsd.org, then
they obviously can handle hosting of most other things on the Internet.

Remember, the people that buy seriously large amounts of bandwidth
don't use television commercials to make decisions on providers. They
use tools like whois to see who is hosting major sites then go talk to
those people.

It also isn't a bad thing to be the landlord if the provider happens to have
lot of FreeBSD in use themselves, I'm sure it helps get developer attention
problems rather quickly. Have you ever seen a post from anyone at
Yahoo with a problem with one of their FreeBSD servers?

Javier Henderson

Feb 1, 2007, 9:22:52 AM2/1/07

>> What, exactly, is the benefit to an ISP to wear such a feather?
>
> Mainly marketing, if the ISP can handle hosting of freebsd.org, then
> they obviously can handle hosting of most other things on the
> Internet.
>
> Remember, the people that buy seriously large amounts of bandwidth
> don't use television commercials to make decisions on providers. They
> use tools like whois to see who is hosting major sites then go talk to
> those people.
>
> It also isn't a bad thing to be the landlord if the provider
> happens to have
> lot of FreeBSD in use themselves, I'm sure it helps get developer
> attention
> problems rather quickly. Have you ever seen a post from anyone at
> Yahoo with a problem with one of their FreeBSD servers?

Marketing, yes, but you may be overstating your case. The bandwidth
and power aren't free, and the ROI on the expense of providing that
might not be enough. Plus, it's not just ISP's hosting servers, many
are hosted by companies and colleges.

-jav

Jona Joachim

Feb 1, 2007, 9:14:13 AM2/1/07
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 05:02:02 -0800
"Ted Mittelstaedt" <te...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

<snip>

Illegal music and software was downloaded from FTP servers long before
BitTorrent existed.
I don't think anybody here cares about what the RIAA is saying.
BitTorrent is used to reduce the traffic on FreeBSD mirrors.
You have the right to stop trolling until the Analogy Police comes for
you.

Jona

--
Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Copy me to your .signature file and help
me propagate, thanks!

RW

Feb 1, 2007, 12:07:17 PM2/1/07
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 05:02:02 -0800
"Ted Mittelstaedt" <te...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> using a service, bittorrent,
> that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software
> and music,
> to distribute FreeBSD.

Bittorrent is a protocol, not a service or network.

It scales much better than http and ftp under high demand.
Download speeds with Bittorrent gets faster and then level-out, as a
function of demand, which is the opposite of FTP. It's very well
suited for software release ISOs where there's high demand for
downloads immediately after a new release. With open source
software it also benefits from a substantial amount of goodwill.

The bottom line is that if the existing FTP servers allow everyone
to download at line-rate the day after a new release, and the
bandwidth cost is not a problem, then there's no need for
Bittorrent - otherwise I can't see a case against it.

cpghost

Feb 1, 2007, 12:16:15 PM2/1/07
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 05:02:02AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Which is exactly why I cannot understand why anyone would want to
> use bittorrent to legitimately distribute anything. Why use a service that
> the RIAA is actively attacking, because such service is being used to
> illegally distribute pirated music?
>
> It's called guilt by association.

Nope. Bittorrent is a distribution protocol which doesn't care
what the payload is. Just like FTP. Just like TCP, IP and UDP.
Should we avoid IP as well, because it's being used for distributing
illegitimate payload? Guilt by association?

> for some morons based on a guilt by association reason, then on the other

> hand turn a blind eye to the guilt by association of using a service,

> bittorrent,
> that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software and
> music,
> to distribute FreeBSD.

See above. What about USENET? Despite gazillions of copyvios,
there are still valid and legitimate groups there which are
not harmed in the least by this. Let's not fall into the
RIAA/MPAA/IFPI/... trap here who are trying to enforce a centralized
distribution network of many clients and as few servers as possible
that they could strangle at will.

Having said that, FreeBSD's FTP mirrors are perfectly suitable
for the task at hand and using them is usually much faster than
P2P anyway (esp. to all people using asymetric link with severly
reduced upload bandwidth). A big thanks to all bandwidth donors.

> Ted

Regards,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/

yous...@u.washington.edu

Feb 1, 2007, 4:54:37 PM2/1/07

Overall, it's just another means of distributing information. I mean, what would happen if (heaven forbid) the webserver went down due to some DDoS attack or something like that and a number of admins needed access to ISOs / sources for their OSes because there was a security issue or something else that occurred which affected a large user/server base. BT would exist to help deliver the information needed to upgrade or install packages on their servers that would not be available otherwise (at least until someone took down the tracker, then the decentralized peers, etc :D..).

It's the decentralized property of P2P which is probably the reason why obtaining binaries / sources is available via BT for FreeBSD.

I'll just use the HTTP/FTP stuff though over BT, because it works perfectly fine most of the time :).

-Garrett

yous...@u.washington.edu

Feb 1, 2007, 5:01:13 PM2/1/07
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Uhm, the RIAA / MPAA would be retards to track this sort of information--it only would reduce their efficiency.

Thinking that torrents are being used solely to transmit illegal data is a misnomer and incorrect train of thought. There are a number of opensource projects that use torrents to distribute data, just because it exists and it's another means to distributing the data's end.

> It's called guilt by association.

No. That's your take on the situation and other group's take on the situation, which isn't always correct.

> The FreeBSD Beastie was struck from his position as logo for FreeBSD
> for some EXTREMELY minor controversy surrounding religions icons.
> Well, using a Devil image didn't pirate anyone software or break a law.
> Yet Beastie was axed for exactly the same "guilt by association" reasons.

That's a different can of worms--the BSD symbol is religious symbolism vs whereas torrents and soft "ware" licenses are ethical issues.

> It seems to be EXTREMELY hipocritical to on one hand, strike out Beastie
> for some morons based on a guilt by association reason, then on the other
> hand turn a blind eye to the guilt by association of using a service,
> bittorrent,
> that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software and
> music,
> to distribute FreeBSD.

Read above comments.

-Garrett

Oliver Fromme

Mar 5, 2007, 6:50:00 AM3/5/07
Sorry for the late reply, but I think this one needs a
correction, so others don't find wrong information in
the archives ...

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

> The FreeBSD Beastie was struck from his position as logo for FreeBSD
> for some EXTREMELY minor controversy surrounding religions icons.
> Well, using a Devil image didn't pirate anyone software or break a law.
> Yet Beastie was axed for exactly the same "guilt by association" reasons.

I'm afraid that paragraph is completely wrong. The BSD
daemon (sometimes called "Beastie", but that's not its
official name) was not "struck from his position as a
logo", and it was not "axed".

The BSD daemon never was a logo of the FreeBSD project.
It was rather a mascot (and it still is!). However, it
was sometimes used in a context where a logo would be
used normally, simply for the fact that FreeBSD didn't
have a real logo.

Now, after the result of the logo contest last year,
FreeBSD has a real, official logo, in addition to the
BSD daemon mascot. Just look at www.freebsd.org.
It doesn't look axed to me. ;-)

Best regards
Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Geschäftsfuehrung:
chen, HRB 125758, Geschäftsführer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.
FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.pl count=1
$ file test.pl
test.pl: perl script text executable

Ted Mittelstaedt

Mar 7, 2007, 10:35:33 AM3/7/07

> Sorry for the late reply, but I think this one needs a
> correction, so others don't find wrong information in
> the archives ...
>
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > [...]
> > The FreeBSD Beastie was struck from his position as logo for FreeBSD
> > for some EXTREMELY minor controversy surrounding religions icons.
> > Well, using a Devil image didn't pirate anyone software or break a
law.
> > Yet Beastie was axed for exactly the same "guilt by association"
reasons.

> I'm afraid that paragraph is completely wrong. The BSD
> daemon (sometimes called "Beastie", but that's not its
> official name) was not "struck from his position as a
> logo", and it was not "axed".
>
> The BSD daemon never was a logo of the FreeBSD project.
> It was rather a mascot (and it still is!).

Not this again.

Before the "devil" controversy flared up, there was no usage of
"mascot" in relation to Beastie.

The term "mascot" began to be used by the anti-Beastie people
as a way of appeasement of the pro-Beastie people.

> However, it
> was sometimes used in a context where a logo would be
> used normally, simply for the fact that FreeBSD didn't
> have a real logo.

It was always used in a context where a logo would be used
normally simply for the fact that it WAS the FreeBSD logo.

The many years of Walnut Creek selling FreeBSD cd's
firmly established Beastie as the logo.

> Now, after the result of the logo contest last year,
> FreeBSD has a real, official logo, in addition to the
> BSD daemon mascot.

There is no law or requirement that says that anyone cannot still
continue to use the Beastie image as a logo if they want. What we
got from the contest is simply a second image that can be used as
a logo.

Nobody is arguing that Beastie was the best logo image that could
of been used. This is something that the anti-Beastie people have
never understood. One of it's drawbacks is that the image is
copyrighted by McKusick and permission must be sought by him
when using it. Another is that it does not reporduce well at all as
a thumbnail. A third is that so many different forms of Beastie
have been drawn that it has diluted the it's value as a logo. And last
and most importantly, it has religious connotations that can cause trouble
for it being used as an image with certain groups.

If the anti-Beastie people had approached Beastie with reverence
and brought up these issues there would never have been a
controversy. However the fact was that the anti-Beastie people
were so hell-bent on getting a new logo design that they took
the tack that "oh we aren't going to replace Beastie" to try to
pacify the pro-Beastie people. It didn't work, people saw through
it. That is why the logo contest dragged on easily 6 months longer
than the organizers originally hoped. It is also why the logo
contest was not a public one - nobody but the contest organizers
saw all of the submissions, the userbase was no given any kind of
voting choice. The entire issue was dynamite and caused an uproar
whenever it was brought up in any online discussion.

The very fact that you feel compelled even now, a year after your site
has successfully bulldozed the new FreeBSD sex-toy logo design through,
to still try to rewrite history shows the emotion that is
still there in the controversy.

> Just look at www.freebsd.org.
> It doesn't look axed to me. ;-)

If the pro-Beastie people had rolled over without complaining then
Beastie would not be on the website anymore. What happened is that
in order to calm the controversy, the website designers continued to use
Beastie on the website. For now, that is. But there is a long term
plan to gradually convince the userbase that Beastie is obsolete, and
one of the techniques is rewriting history on the public forums, like
you are attempting to do here with your post.

This discussion is exactly the same issue as why the US Department of
Defense still does not allow the Pentagram (wiccan symbol) to be drawn
on military tombstones. They allow every other major religious symbol
including the stupid "universal swirl" that some Athiests use.

Ted

Jerry McAllister

Mar 7, 2007, 10:53:21 AM3/7/07
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:35:33AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Who cares!!

Oliver Fromme

Mar 7, 2007, 11:20:50 AM3/7/07

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Before the "devil" controversy flared up, there was no usage of
> "mascot" in relation to Beastie.

Historically, the daemon image was always used as a mascot
for BSD (not just FreeBSD). I've always perceived it that
way. FreeBSD in particular adopted the daemon rendering
by Tatsumi Hosokawa and used it both as a mascot and a
logo (because of lack of a real logo).

> There is no law or requirement that says that anyone cannot still
> continue to use the Beastie image as a logo if they want.

Sure, you can use it whatever way you want, subject to the
copyright restrictions.

> What we got from the contest is simply a second image that can be
> used as a logo.

What we got from the contest is simply an _official_ logo.
The daemon image is not an officiel logo of the FreeBSD
project.

> > Just look at www.freebsd.org.

> > It doesn't look axed to me. ;-)
>
> If the pro-Beastie people had rolled over without complaining then
> Beastie would not be on the website anymore. What happened is that
> in order to calm the controversy, the website designers continued to use
> Beastie on the website. For now, that is. But there is a long term
> plan to gradually convince the userbase that Beastie is obsolete, and
> one of the techniques is rewriting history on the public forums, like
> you are attempting to do here with your post.

That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid). The daemon
image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
is no indication that it might change.

Best regards
Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Geschäftsfuehrung:
chen, HRB 125758, Geschäftsführer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart

FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.

cpghost

Mar 8, 2007, 3:52:22 AM3/8/07
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid). The daemon
> image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
> In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
> is no indication that it might change.

However, you've dropped it in favor of the "sextoy" on the
FreeBSD 6.2 DVD case cover (Lehmanns/GUUG, Jan. 2007). So Ted's
speculation is not entirely without merit. Sure, it's not an
"official" DVD, but it does appear in bookstores and is often
the first encounter by newbies to FreeBSD :-(.

> Best regards
> Oliver

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/

Oliver Fromme

Mar 8, 2007, 4:43:01 AM3/8/07

cpghost wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid). The daemon
> > image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
> > In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
> > is no indication that it might change.
>
> However, you've dropped it in favor of the "sextoy" on the
> FreeBSD 6.2 DVD case cover (Lehmanns/GUUG, Jan. 2007).

That was the decision of the designers at the marketing
department of Lehmanns (I'm only responsible for the text
on the back of the box, not for the overall design).
Those people have near zero technical nor historical
knowledge about FreeBSD.

> Sure, it's not an
> "official" DVD, but it does appear in bookstores and is often
> the first encounter by newbies to FreeBSD :-(.

I wish it was. :-(

In fact, the past issues of the Lehmanns edition of FreeBSD
(including the ones where there still was a large Beastie
on the front of the box) had rapidly decreasing sales
numbers. It's probably because many people now have fast
internet access (cable, DSL, whatever) and prefer to down-
load the ISOs and packages instead of buying a DVD-ROM.

We were lucky that the GUUG agreed to sponsor the 6.2
issue, otherwise Lehmanns would have been forced to stop its
support of FreeBSD, and the DVD for 6.2-Release would not
exist today. I have no idea what will happen with 6.3 ...
If nobody buys 6.2, then it's probably the last one.

Best regards
Oliver

PS: For people who don't know at all what we're talking
about, here's a link:

http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=3865411886

The page text is in German, I'm afraid, but at least you
can see the picture of the DVD box (front side only,
though).

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Geschäftsfuehrung:
chen, HRB 125758, Geschäftsführer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart

FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
-- Dick Brandon

cpghost

Mar 9, 2007, 5:07:52 AM3/9/07
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:43:01AM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> cpghost wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > > That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid). The daemon
> > > image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
> > > In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
> > > is no indication that it might change.
> >
> > However, you've dropped it in favor of the "sextoy" on the
> > FreeBSD 6.2 DVD case cover (Lehmanns/GUUG, Jan. 2007).
>
> That was the decision of the designers at the marketing
> department of Lehmanns (I'm only responsible for the text
> on the back of the box, not for the overall design).
> Those people have near zero technical nor historical
> knowledge about FreeBSD.
>
> > Sure, it's not an
> > "official" DVD, but it does appear in bookstores and is often
> > the first encounter by newbies to FreeBSD :-(.
>
> I wish it was. :-(
>
> In fact, the past issues of the Lehmanns edition of FreeBSD
> (including the ones where there still was a large Beastie
> on the front of the box) had rapidly decreasing sales
> numbers. It's probably because many people now have fast
> internet access (cable, DSL, whatever) and prefer to down-
> load the ISOs and packages instead of buying a DVD-ROM.
>
> We were lucky that the GUUG agreed to sponsor the 6.2
> issue, otherwise Lehmanns would have been forced to stop its
> support of FreeBSD, and the DVD for 6.2-Release would not
> exist today. I have no idea what will happen with 6.3 ...
> If nobody buys 6.2, then it's probably the last one.

It's obviously the same problem that Walnut Creek faced back
then, when bandwidth was large enough for CD ISOs. That's
very unfortunate, because having FreeBSD CD/DVDs in bookstores
definitely helps getting more exposure. 1 out of 3 FreeBSD
users I know first learned about FreeBSD in a bookstore as
they bought one of the earlier Walnut Creek CD cases.

Good luck with the 6.2 DVD! :)

> Best regards
> Oliver
>
> PS: For people who don't know at all what we're talking
> about, here's a link:
>
> http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=3865411886
>
> The page text is in German, I'm afraid, but at least you
> can see the picture of the DVD box (front side only,
> though).

Regards,