release in cvsup supfile

Michael P. Soulier

Feb 24, 2006, 9:04:06 PM2/24/06

Peter

Feb 24, 2006, 9:35:22 PM2/24/06

--- "Michael P. Soulier" <msou...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> Hey people,
>
> I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=.
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I don't
> want
> ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?

No, that's the way it should be. The Handbook is quite clear on this
point:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-CONFIG-VERS

Donald J. O'Neill

Feb 24, 2006, 10:12:02 PM2/24/06
On Friday 24 February 2006 20:35, Peter wrote:
> --- "Michael P. Soulier" <msou...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> > Hey people,
> >
> > I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
> >
> > *default release=cvs tag=.
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I
> > don't want
> > ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?
>
> No, that's the way it should be. The Handbook is quite clear on this
> point:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#
>CVSUP-CONFIG-VERS

Well now, I think that depends on what else he's got in his supfile. He
may have a problem at some point.

Don

Nikolas Britton

Feb 24, 2006, 10:51:05 PM2/24/06
On 2/24/06, Michael P. Soulier <msou...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> Hey people,
>
> I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=.
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I don't want
> ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?

No, but you need to have at least two cvsup files, one for the system
and the other for ports and everything else so keep reading.... (all
the way to the end!)

Change "*default host" to the cvsup server of your choice, servers are
listed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html

Change "*default release=cvs tag=" To:
RELENG_5_4: Tracks 5.4-RELEASE errata fix branch
RELENG_5: Tracks 5-STABLE Branch
RELENG_6_0: Tracks 6.0-RELEASE errata fix branch
RELENG_6: Tracks 6-STABLE Branch
HEAD: Tracks -CURRENT, currently FreeBSD 7, it's for developers.

For a full list of branch tags and other good reading materials refer
to the release engineering page:
http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html

infomatic# more ~/standard-supfile
*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

Ports, docs, etc. do not have -RELEASE tags, when you cvsup ports you
always get what would be the equivalent of cvsup'ing you system up
with -CURRENT, hence the dot for the release tag. You can however
cvsup to a specific date and time in the passed if you use something
like this "*default date=2005.11.27.00.00.00", all the zero's are for
time (GMT, 24 hour clock).

infomatic# more ~/ports-supfile
*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all
doc-all

After you cvsup new ports you must always read the /usr/ports/UPDATING
file, if your planning on cvsup'ing your ports today your in for a big
doozy as libtool just had a major overhaul, perl and expat were both
update with in the last few weeks and then you have the whole fam vs.
gamin debacle.

Because of the libtool overhaul and the 3 other things you will have
to uninstall every port and package on your system and then reinstall
them. The good news is that now would be the perfect time to wipe the
system clean and do a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.1-BETA2. All you
really need to do is backup the important stuff, just tarball
everything and copy it over the network to another system, backup the
following:

/etc
/root
your home directory
/usr/local/etc
/usr/local/ (look around in here for stuff to save, like apache's data
directory, etc.)
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ (if you have custom kernel config files)
Possibly /var (I don't know what you use this system for or what you
have installed)
Anything else you want saved

Then download and burn: 6.1-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/6.1/6.1-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso
MD5 (6.1-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso) = 3267d7794079d3b803f5f5f004cf04f1

Now install FreeBSD, delete the old slices first with fdisk and don't
install X11, the only package you should install is cvsup-without-gui.
After FreeBSD is installed run cvsup to get all the new ports, then
uninstall perl, run the following:
--------
cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/
make deinstall
make install
perl-after-upgrade
--------

Ok now your good to go, reinstall all the ports you need.

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/

Nikolas Britton

Feb 24, 2006, 11:04:28 PM2/24/06
On 2/24/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now install FreeBSD, delete the old slices first with fdisk and don't
> install X11, the only package you should install is cvsup-without-gui.
> After FreeBSD is installed run cvsup to get all the new ports, then
> uninstall perl, run the following:
> --------
> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/
> make deinstall
> make install
> perl-after-upgrade
> --------

Hey, first check the version of perl installed, perl 5.8.8 might have
made it onto the BETA2 disk, if you run 'perl -v' and it spits out
version 5.8.8 then you don't have to uninstall/reinstall perl.

Peter

Feb 24, 2006, 11:35:21 PM2/24/06

--- Nikolas Britton <nikolas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/24/06, Michael P. Soulier <msou...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> > Hey people,
> >
> > I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
> >
> > *default release=cvs tag=.
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I don't
> want
> > ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?
> >

> No, but you need to have at least two cvsup files, one for the system
> and the other for ports

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have only one file for everything:

*default host=cvsup1.ca.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5

*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

src-all
doc-all
ports-all tag=.

Donald J. O'Neill

Feb 25, 2006, 12:01:03 AM2/25/06
On Friday 24 February 2006 22:35, Peter wrote:
> --- Nikolas Britton <nikolas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/24/06, Michael P. Soulier <msou...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> > > Hey people,
> > >
> > > I notice that in my supfile, I have this:
> > >
> > > *default release=cvs tag=.
> > >
> > > I'm using FreeBSD 5.4. Should I change the tag to 5.4-RELEASE? I
> > > don't
> >
> > want
> >
> > > ports that aren't going to work on 5.4. Is that a concern?
> >
> > No, but you need to have at least two cvsup files, one for the
> > system and the other for ports
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have only one file for
> everything:
>
> *default host=cvsup1.ca.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
>
> src-all
> doc-all
> ports-all tag=.

It works the way you have it. However,You can split that into three
files. You're following 5-STABLE, there are times when you don't want
to be downloading src, unless you're planning to run buildworld cycles
a lot. Instead of cvsuping ports, you could use portsnap. Once it's run
the first time, it's a lot, lot faster way to upgrade the ports tree
than using cvsup.

Don