3G file burns to -514M file on DVD-R

Andrew L. Gould

Jun 19, 2005, 12:05:05 AM6/19/05
I have a gzip'd database backup file that's 3GB in size. I used mkisofs
to create an iso image for burning to a DVD-R. Both the mkisofs and
growisofs process appeared to finish successfully; but 'ls -alh' shows
the resulting file to be -514M in size when the DVD-R is mounted in
FreeBSD 4.10. When I mount the dvd in a separate FreeBSD 5.4 system,
ls -alh results in 'ls: /cdrom/pgdumpall.gz: Value too large to be
stored in data type'. I ftp'd the original 3GB file from the FreeBSD
4.10 system to the FreeBSD 5.4 system. ls -alh reads the size of the
original file correctly.

Windows reads the DVD-R and shows the file size correctly.

I've tried recreating the iso image using -r and -l options and burning
the iso file with and without the -dvd-compat option; but the results
remain the same.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould

Fabian Keil

Jun 19, 2005, 8:15:06 AM6/19/05
"Andrew L. Gould" <alg...@datawok.com> wrote:

> I have a gzip'd database backup file that's 3GB in size. I used mkisofs
> to create an iso image for burning to a DVD-R. Both the mkisofs and
> growisofs process appeared to finish successfully; but 'ls -alh' shows
> the resulting file to be -514M in size when the DVD-R is mounted in
> FreeBSD 4.10. When I mount the dvd in a separate FreeBSD 5.4 system,
> ls -alh results in 'ls: /cdrom/pgdumpall.gz: Value too large to be
> stored in data type'. I ftp'd the original 3GB file from the FreeBSD
> 4.10 system to the FreeBSD 5.4 system. ls -alh reads the size of the
> original file correctly.
>
> Windows reads the DVD-R and shows the file size correctly.
>
> I've tried recreating the iso image using -r and -l options and burning
> the iso file with and without the -dvd-compat option; but the results
> remain the same.
>
> Any ideas or advice?

Split your backup file before creating the iso.

At the moment FreeBSD can't handle big files on isofs.
If I remember correctly, big means > 1 GB, but I'm not sure.

You should still be able to extract the file with isoinfo
from the cdrtools port.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/

Andrew L. Gould

Jun 19, 2005, 7:28:06 PM6/19/05
On Sunday 19 June 2005 07:15 am, Fabian Keil wrote:
> "Andrew L. Gould" <alg...@datawok.com> wrote:
> > I have a gzip'd database backup file that's 3GB in size. I used
> > mkisofs to create an iso image for burning to a DVD-R. Both the
> > mkisofs and growisofs process appeared to finish successfully; but
> > 'ls -alh' shows the resulting file to be -514M in size when the
> > DVD-R is mounted in FreeBSD 4.10. When I mount the dvd in a
> > separate FreeBSD 5.4 system, ls -alh results in 'ls:
> > /cdrom/pgdumpall.gz: Value too large to be stored in data type'. I
> > ftp'd the original 3GB file from the FreeBSD 4.10 system to the
> > FreeBSD 5.4 system. ls -alh reads the size of the original file
> > correctly.
> >
> > Windows reads the DVD-R and shows the file size correctly.
> >
> > I've tried recreating the iso image using -r and -l options and
> > burning the iso file with and without the -dvd-compat option; but
> > the results remain the same.
> >
> > Any ideas or advice?
>
> Split your backup file before creating the iso.
>
> At the moment FreeBSD can't handle big files on isofs.
> If I remember correctly, big means > 1 GB, but I'm not sure.
>
> You should still be able to extract the file with isoinfo
> from the cdrtools port.
>
> Fabian

Once I've burned the DVD, how can I rejoin the files created using the
-split-output option so that I can reload the database from the dump
file? The man pages for mkisofs, isoinfo and split weren't very
helpful in this regard.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould

Mike Tancsa

Jun 19, 2005, 10:50:33 PM6/19/05
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:28:06 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions

>> > Any ideas or advice?
>>
>> Split your backup file before creating the iso.
>>
>> At the moment FreeBSD can't handle big files on isofs.
>> If I remember correctly, big means > 1 GB, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> You should still be able to extract the file with isoinfo
>> from the cdrtools port.
>>
>> Fabian
>
>Once I've burned the DVD, how can I rejoin the files created using the
>-split-output option so that I can reload the database from the dump
>file? The man pages for mkisofs, isoinfo and split weren't very
>helpful in this regard.

On the subject of DVD backups, I have found them to be somewhat lossy
over time. For my large database backups, I use rar out of the ports
and add recovery records in the archive (-rr) and and split them using
its volume feature. I also use par2 to further add redundancy and it
has saved my ass a couple of times when I went to get a backup from
the year before.

from a script I use

/usr/local/bin/rar a -r -v45M -rr -p$PASS /backup/root/iso/acctDB.rar
/sql-mnt/

/usr/local/bin/par2create -r20 /backup/root/iso/parfiles.par2
/backup/root/iso/*.rar

The databases compress down to about 3G on the DVDs across 45MB files.
par2 then creates recovery files that allow for upto 20% damage to the
DVD. To restore the files, rar x acctDB.rar

---Mike
Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
Providing Internet Access since 1994
mi...@sentex.net, (http://www.tancsa.com)