Telnet client and UTF-8

Mikoskay

Oct 26, 2010, 6:58:36 AM10/26/10
to Linux Users Group
Hi,

I have a problem with standard telnet client from bsdutils. I've found
that trying to enter some UTF-8 characters leads to client's strange
behavior.

The letter I'm trying to enter is latin small letter a with ogonek
(Polish letter), which is encoded in UTF-8 as two bytes: 0xC4 0x85 (
http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=260 ). I've
found out, that the second byte - 0x85 (decimal 133) is a telnet
command HIDE-YOUR-INPUT ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc318.txt ).

The question is - why just entering letter containing that byte, I am
able to activate this command? And how to prevent it?

PS. I've tried binary mode - doesn't help.

Any ideas are welcome - I've just ran out of my own...