OPEN OFFICE BETTER THAN OFFICE 7

alvi john

Oct 16, 2009, 11:30:43 PM10/16/09
to Linux users IITM
Though many people use linux all the time when it comes to office
works like making a spreadsheet or pp ,they still rely on the
miscrosoft.It is really heart breaking thing. Openoffice is far better
in my opinion .has anyone tried impress instead of powerpoint or calc
instead of excel??? only a few will be there.Next time you pay
attention to this .To download openoffice http://download.openoffice.org/
and for review http://bit.ly/38JdKq

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

Oct 17, 2009, 3:39:26 AM10/17/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
No dude!

Microsoft Office is always better than Open office. I cannot think of specifics right now as to why MS office is better. We don't have things like spell/grammar checker, table of contents, review tools etc. This is about word, In excel, it is very painful as you cannot do basic things like "sort by a particular column". There are more. Just that I can't think of right now.

Shanmukh.

Shakthi Kannan

Oct 17, 2009, 5:16:32 AM10/17/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

<siva.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
| Microsoft Office is always better than Open office.

\--

One should/can never compare a corrupt politician (who hides
everything) and an honest public servant (who gives you the sources).

An interesting read:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Girish Rao

Oct 17, 2009, 5:35:23 AM10/17/09
<siva.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
| Microsoft Office is always better than Open office.
\--

One should/can never compare a corrupt politician (who hides
everything) and an honest public servant (who gives you the sources).

Horrible fallacious argument..
Argument Ad Hominem ...

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#hominem

Just because you consider MS as a corrupt politician does not mean that Open Office is better than MS office.

Girish Rao

Arun Chaganty

Oct 17, 2009, 6:56:52 AM10/17/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

> Just because you consider MS as a corrupt politician does not mean that Open
> Office is better than MS office.

I must agree. As painful as it sometimes is, I have to admit that MS
has done one hell of a job with Office (true, it _originally_ was
kulted from Lotus Suite, etc. etc, but frankly, they've gone a looong
way since then). Things like annotating documents, their new methods
of creating diagrams, etc. _really_ help office people. I know
economics majors who swear by the analysis, etc. that they can do on
Excel.

I don't think we get anywhere by saying "Oh they're _closed_ source,
therefore they suck and we are better than them" - rather we should
learn from what they were able to accomplish, and work to make
OpenOffice.org as awesome if not more...

Cheers,
--
Arun Tejasvi Chaganty
http://arun.chagantys.org/

Shakthi Kannan

Oct 17, 2009, 7:23:54 AM10/17/09

--- On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Girish Rao <gir...@gmail.com> wrote:
| ... does not mean that Open

| Office is better than MS office.

\--

I never said that. Re-read my statement slowly, carefully again,

praveen chandrahas

Oct 17, 2009, 4:31:23 AM10/17/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
I thought spell checker is a part of OO. Dont have an idea abt the other things u mentioned, though. Even in calc, sort by a particular column is so trivial to implement i will be quite baffled if wat u said was true and that feature is not present. For a student like me, ooffice suffices and the one feature that stands out is the 'export as pdf' option, which, by the way, M$ office does not have. It gives me flexibility and portability.

--praveen chandrahas

Rajkishan G

Oct 17, 2009, 10:41:55 PM10/17/09
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM, praveen chandrahas <chand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought spell checker is a part of OO. Dont have an idea abt the other things u mentioned, though. Even in calc, sort by a particular column is so trivial to implement i will be quite baffled if wat u said was true and that feature is not present. For a student like me, ooffice suffices and the one feature that stands out is the 'export as pdf' option, which, by the way, M$ office does not have. It gives me flexibility and portability.
I am not jumping into this argument but would like to correct your erroneous view on MS Office->pdf. If u had done a simple search on google, you would have noticed the millions of plugins which do the job, including an official MS add on to export as pdf.

--praveen chandrahas

Also, I would like to know how being closed source is equivalent to being corrupt? I personally feel the simile is out of place.  I also guess that being open source or closed is a matter of choice and MS is what it is. Why would one try to _impose_ one's philosophy on others. One should rather try to  _spread_  the spirit of one's philosophy. We should try and spread the spirit of FOSS rather than hurl abuses targeting an institution just because it does not adhere to our philosophy.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM, alvi john <aalw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Though many  people use linux all the time when it comes to office
works like making a spreadsheet or pp ,they still rely on the
miscrosoft.It is really heart breaking thing. Openoffice is far better
in my opinion .has anyone tried impress instead of powerpoint or calc
instead of excel???   only a few will be there.Next time you pay
attention to this .To download openoffice  http://download.openoffice.org/
and for review     http://bit.ly/38JdKq

--
Rajkishan G

3rd year Computer Science And Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology,
Madras.

Anubhav Bhattacharjee

Oct 17, 2009, 10:03:47 PM10/17/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
just one correction
MS office 2007 has the "save as pdf or xps" option
if your office 07 does not have this option you can get this add-on free of cost from the MS website...

regards

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM, praveen chandrahas <chand...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Anubhav Bhattacharjee
Dual Degree Student
IIT Madras

Shakthi Kannan

Oct 18, 2009, 12:56:47 AM10/18/09

--- On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Rajkishan G <rajki...@gmail.com> wrote:
| One should rather try
| to  _spread_  the spirit of one's philosophy. We should try and spread the
| spirit of FOSS rather than hurl abuses targeting an institution just because
| it does not adhere to our philosophy.

\--

... if and only if it is a level playing field.

Abhi.iitm

Oct 18, 2009, 8:05:50 AM10/18/09
to Linux users IITM
I'd like to comment on the "open-source"/"closed-source" discussion
here: They are just two sides of a coin. I don't know why some people
feel that closed source is the work of "satan". It's just a choice.
For a "ordinary person", there is no difference between them, and he
will choose what fits him/her. It's like asking the master chef his
secret ingredient in the Chef's Pie or something. Just because he
won't tell it to you, you won't walk away, will you? The analogy may
not be perfect, but I hope you get it.

Shakthi Kannan

Oct 18, 2009, 10:16:39 AM10/18/09

--- On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Abhi.iitm <abhijit...@gmail.com> wrote:
| For a "ordinary person",

\--

It is our responsibility to make people aware of F/OSS.

---

| It's like asking the master chef his
| secret ingredient in the Chef's Pie or something. Just because he
| won't tell it to you, you won't walk away, will you? The analogy may
| not be perfect,

\--

It is not an apt example, because no one is preventing you from
cooking your own food. But, issues like software patents are a serious
threat to F/OSS.

Kumar Appaiah

Oct 18, 2009, 10:51:36 AM10/18/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com

It's about freedom. While, I agree, that writing closed source is
totally fine if the author desires it, it is my opinion that providing
the source provides great freedom to the users, to modify and adapt
code. Basically, you can either buy the pie, or, get the recipe and
make it yourself (or, if you are in a company, hire someone to make
use of the recipe floating around and adapt it to your needs).

So, I'd prefer free software, whenever possible.

Kumar
--
:
####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : Copying from one CD to another LOST #303

#dd if=/dev/cdrom of=datacd.iso
#cdrecord -vv -eject -pad dev=0,0,0 speed=N datacd.iso
[Note: Replace dev=0,0,0 with the output of cdrecord -scanbus
for your system. Replace N in speed= with 2,4,8 depending on
the speed of your CD-writer. Also add -J switch if Joliet ext
are needed for M$ CDs]

####[rajesh (at) symonds.net]#################################
:

S Sendil Kumar

Oct 18, 2009, 11:44:01 AM10/18/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I too agree with Arun. For my presentation to give a professional look, I dont have alternate than booting to my "M$ Windows" for using my offce powerpoint. The 2007 Office has been a drastic change. Like converting the bullets in a slide to a graphical presentation is most excellent part of power point. When it comes to Word, 2007 Office has built in equation editor which is much better than the "Microsoft Equation or the Mathtype equation Object". The equation in 2007 word is really appreciable work by the MS guys. ( Though I stick to my TeXmacs whenever its a quick math note to be printed and submitted to my advisor)

regards
sendil

Atul S Vasu

Oct 19, 2009, 6:47:42 AM10/19/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
I've another interesting point on why open source is better. For most parts, I am not going to modify code. So it is not just freedom, but also security.

1) I know there are people out there who would have gone through it and didn't see any trivial trojan horse code.
2) Similarly it also makes people find out security vulnerabilities faster and fix it.

--
-------
    To make world a better place to live in