On 05/11/2012 02:10, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> It is certainly very helpful to have this happen with samba-tool. Can
> you remind me the history of this domain, is it the upgrade I was trying
> to suggest you do, or a fresh provision?
> If you can tell me what provision command-line you run, if it was
> provisioned with an older version, which branch and git revision that
> was and what branch and git revision as you running now?
> I've tried to replicate this in 'make test' but failed (the tests pass).
> The patch for that is attached for review.
> Andrew Bartlett
Ok, I think we've got a bit lost in issues here, so I'll start from the
very beginning (I've heard it's a very good place to start).
I have set up two domains:
home.lillimoth.com - a test domain set up on virtual machines at home.
This domain has been provisioned from scratch.
internal.stmaryscollege.co.uk - a production domain at my work place.
This domain was migrated from a samba 3 domain.
My issue is that when I run gpmc (the group policy management console)
on a windows machine (XP or 7) and selected a gpo to edit I get the message:
"The permissions for this GPO in the SYSVOL folder are inconsistent with
those in Active Directory.
It is recommended that these permissions be consistent.
To change the SYSVOL permissions to those in Active Directory, click
OK." - Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828760
This occurs on both domains.
Clicking 'ok' to the popup should correct the ACLs on the files/folders
it believes are incorrect.
Please note that before clicking 'ok' sysvolcheck passes with no errors
however after clicking it would fail with the following error:
"ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): uncaught exception
- ProvisioningError: VFS ACL on GPO directory
O:DAG:DUD:(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;DA)(A;OICI;0x001200a9;;;ED)(A;OICI;0x001200a 9;;;AU)(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;DA)(A;;0x001200a9;;;DA)(A;;0x001200a9;;;EA)(A;; 0x001200a9;;;SY)(A;OICIIO;0x001f01ff;;;CO)(A;OICIIO;WO;;;CG)(A;OICIIO;0x001 f01ff;;;EA)(A;OICIIO;0x001f01ff;;;SY)
does not match expected value
O:DAG:DUD:P(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;DA)(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;EA)(A;OICIIO;0x001f 01ff;;;CO)(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;DA)(A;OICI;0x001f01ff;;;SY)(A;OICI;0x001200a 9;;;AU)(A;OICI;0x001200a9;;;ED)S:AI(OU;CIIDSA;WP;f30e3bbe-9ff0-11d1-b603-00 00f80367c1;bf967aa5-0de6-11d0-a285-00aa003049e2;WD)(OU;CIIDSA;WP;f30e3bbf-9 ff0-11d1-b603-0000f80367c1;bf967aa5-0de6-11d0-a285-00aa003049e2;WD)
from GPO object"
This suggests that the gpmc did change the ACLs however when reselecting
the same GPO it pops up with the same message again!
Both servers have the correct mount options (user_xattr,acl) and acls
work when set manually.
I did some research into what the ACLs should be on the sysvol share and
came up with these: http://pastebin.com/sSURWrDf which were taken from a
I have not yet attempted to set these on my S4 server but will try that
The issue seems to revolve around:
Incorrect initial ACLs on the sysvol share and its subfolders.
The inability of the GPMC to correct the issue. Suggesting that
there is some issue setting ACLs on the sysvol share from a windows client.
There we a couple of issues with samba-tool creating GPOs but I will run
through those in an email later this evening when I have had chance to
test them on my test domain.
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the