[Samba] Does Samba/Winbind not follow nested groups in AD?!?

James A. Dinkel

Dec 5, 2006, 11:50:20 AM12/5/06
Here's the situation: We have users who are members of groups and those
groups are sometimes members of a 2nd level of groups. If a folder has
permissions assigned to a 2nd level group, then the user can not access
the share. Doing a "getent group | grep user | grep 2nd_level_group"
also returns nothing. Samba seems to not be recognizing that a user is
a member of a group under another group.

Is there any way to enable Samba, or Winbind, to follow down the group
hierarchy?

James Dinkel

Aaron Kincer

Dec 5, 2006, 4:00:14 PM12/5/06
I just simulated your scenario and I have no problems.

1) User testing member of: group1

2) group1 member of group 2

3) group2 has rights to folderA

4) User testing can successfully open folderA.

5) Removing group2 rights from folderA results in access denied.

Matt Skerritt

Dec 5, 2006, 6:10:16 PM12/5/06
On 06/12/2006, at 3:46 AM, James A. Dinkel wrote:

> Here's the situation: We have users who are members of groups and
> those
> groups are sometimes members of a 2nd level of groups. If a folder
> has
> permissions assigned to a 2nd level group, then the user can not
> access
> the share. Doing a "getent group | grep user | grep 2nd_level_group"
> also returns nothing. Samba seems to not be recognizing that a
> user is
> a member of a group under another group.
>
> Is there any way to enable Samba, or Winbind, to follow down the group
> hierarchy?

There is an option in smb.conf called "winbind nested groups" ... and
the help text from swat says:

"winbind nested groups (G)

If set to yes, this parameter activates the support for nested
groups. Nested groups are also called local groups or aliases. They
work like their counterparts in Windows: Nested groups are defined
locally on any machine (they are shared between DC's through their
SAM) and can contain users and global groups from any trusted SAM. To
be able to use nested groups, you need to run nss_winbind.

Please note that per 3.0.3 this is a new feature, so handle with
care.

Default: winbind nested groups = no"

So I'm guessing that you want to set winbind nested groups = yes in
your smb.conf.

--
Matt Skerritt
matt.s...@agrav.net

James A. Dinkel

Dec 6, 2006, 1:20:10 AM12/6/06

I've put the "winbind nested groups = yes" in the global section of my
samba.conf. (Sorry, I did go over the swat help text, I must have
missed this). I went ahead and rebooted the server and tried it again,
but it's still a no-go.

Aaron, in the smb.conf you showed me, you did not have "winbind nested
groups = yes" ?!? I don't remember if you've told me, but are you using
the default Samba 3.0.22 that comes with Ubuntu 6.06?

Could there be something wrong with my Winbind setup? Something that
has to do with nss_winbind maybe? Is there any way I can test this from
the Samba server, using wbinfo maybe?

Aaron Kincer

Dec 6, 2006, 8:40:20 AM12/6/06
James,

You are correct--I don't have windbind nested groups = yes set in my
smb.conf. Yes, default 3.0.22. I followed the Ubuntu configuration
instructions to the letter found in the Ubuntu forums that I've posted
before with only the changes you've seen in my smb.conf. Here is the
link to the forum post:

If you have a machine you can throw together as a test machine, fire it
up as a stock install and follow these instructions to the letter (if
you didn't on your production box) and see if you have any success.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. If your test machine correctly
nests permissions, then there is something wrong with your production
config. If it doesn't, then you have something going on in Active Directory.

One more thing--I'm using POSIX ACLs for permissions. Are you?

James A. Dinkel

Dec 6, 2006, 10:00:26 AM12/6/06

Yeah, I'm using POSIX ACLs. I did not follow that Ubuntu guide; I used
some generic instructions from a couple different places. The biggest
difference I see at first glance is the krb5.conf (mine is blank, it
gets domain info from DNS) and a lot of the PAM configuration.

I'll try another machine with that Ubuntu guide and see what happens.

James Dinkel

James A. Dinkel

Dec 6, 2006, 10:20:08 AM12/6/06

> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-91510.html

That guide also does not say anything about adding acl and user_xattr to
the mount options of the partition containing the share.

Aaron Kincer

Dec 6, 2006, 10:30:20 AM12/6/06
Right. That guide gets you in the door. The additional acl and extended
dos attributes stuff is separate.

James A. Dinkel

Dec 7, 2006, 6:30:13 PM12/7/06
Well, I think I'm giving up. I've tried following that guide. I've
tried replacing my smb.conf to look just like yours. I've tried a bunch
of other things that I though might do something.

For the life of me, I can not get nested groups to work on this server.

James Dinkel

Aaron Kincer

Dec 7, 2006, 6:50:14 PM12/7/06
I had some problems with authentication on a Red Hat server due to corrupted
.tdb files in /var/cache/samba and fixed it by deleting them. You could give
it a shot by stopping Samba and Winbind, backing up those files to be safe,
delete them and restart Samba and WInbind.

If that doesn't work, I suspect there is a problem with your AD forest. All
the pieces should be there for you.

Aaron Kincer

Dec 8, 2006, 12:00:48 PM12/8/06
Native mode, global groups.

Try the test server with a stock installation and adding ACLs and
extended DOS attributes. If you do not have success with that, I can
only conclude there is corruption in your AD forest. That isn't unheard
of by the way.

If you upgraded from mixed mode to native mode, I'd wager a good chance
that your corruption started there.

James A. Dinkel wrote:

> The tdb thing didn’t work. Are you running your Win 2000 domain in
> mixed-mode or native-mode? (ours is native mode, so I’m wondering if
> that is a problem for samba). Also what is the scope on your groups,
> we have “global” for the scope on all our groups.
>
> **James Dinkel**
>
> Network Engineer
>
> Butler County of Kansas
>
> //There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand
> binary, and those who don't.//

James A. Dinkel

Dec 8, 2006, 12:50:09 PM12/8/06
Just a little update. I've found out about the 'id' command and the
'wbinfo -r' command. Both of those commands do NOT return any domain
groups that are parents over domain groups for the user.

I don't know if this gives any ideas or means anything to anybody.

James Dinkel

James A. Dinkel

Dec 8, 2006, 2:40:09 PM12/8/06
Updating to 3.0.23c fixed it!! I didn't even change my config. I just
uninstalled the Ubuntu packages with "apt-get remove samba-common samba
winbind", added Samba.com's Debian Sarge repository and did "apt-get
update && apt-get install samba samba-common winbind" and it installed
the newer packages from the Sarge repo.

This fixed my nested domain groups problem, hopefully it didn't
introduce any new ones. I've only done this on my test server. After a
little more QA I'll do this on my semi-production server.

Aaron Kincer

Dec 8, 2006, 4:30:15 PM12/8/06
Congratulations! I stand corrected. I said I thought upgrading wasn't
the route, but I guess you were right all along. Curious that I don't
see that behavior. Who knows what gremlins were biting you and not me
despite us having the same OS, Samba version and AD environment.

Hopefully Feisty Fawn will use newer Samba packages by default.

Gerald (Jerry) Carter

Dec 13, 2006, 1:20:08 PM12/13/06