[Samba] making BDC samba + ldap server

marcos gonzalez

Feb 17, 2011, 4:20:02 PM2/17/11
Hi guys

Im looking to config a BDC server for the high traffic supported inside the
primary server. I never configured a BDC server inside ubuntu 9.04 and
OpenLdap and Im very lost. Looking for internet I found howtos for PDCs
server but not for BDC. Anyone can help me more? Im making a clean install
and I don't know how to create same users than PDC for samba and how to make
a slave ldap inside.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks :-)

Dale Schroeder

Feb 17, 2011, 4:40:02 PM2/17/11

tm...@tms3.com

Feb 17, 2011, 6:10:02 PM2/17/11

Follow the LDAP stuff in the above article as a template. The
smbldap_tools is a good idea too. The rest of the samba stuff is right
out of the samba manual. Nothing real tricky in BDC v. PDC in
smb.conf.

Daniel Müller

Feb 18, 2011, 2:20:01 AM2/18/11
First of all are you running a PDC with ldap?
Then it is quite easy.
If it is so I can give you hints

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen

Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: mue...@tropenklinik.de
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de
Feb 18, 2011, 5:30:02 AM2/18/11
Hi

Yes, it's a samba 3.3.2 with openldap.

My first steps were copy config smb.conf and folders /var/lib/samba and
shared folders. But I dont know how to copy samba users and groups from PDC.
Suggesiotns?

Other important task is to migrate ldap to prepare and slave ldap.

Wheel, I have good howtos to start

Thanks for all answers.

Best Regards

Daniel Müller

Feb 18, 2011, 6:50:02 AM2/18/11
In my hint I think your samba PDC/Ldap is cuurently working well!
First of all install a second machine with the samba and ldap.
Do not start samba, do not start ldap.
The ldap database should be nearly empty ex:/var/lib/ldap

Now copy your smb.conf to your new machine ex: scp root@2machine:/etc/samba
Edit the smb.conf to your needs and adjust it to be a bdc:
domain master=NO
domain logons=YES
Make a testparm it should succed like this:
testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
Processing section "[sysvol]"
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[alles]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC <----------------------------you are a BDC

Now you are on to copy your slapd.conf and ldap.conf to your new machine:
Ex: scp slapd.conf root@2machine:/etc/openldap

Now important I do the trick with slurpd. There are many other ways but this
is easy.
Slurpd should be installed on your Master an only there.
So go in to the slapd.conf on your master and put a few lines in it at the
end.
Be carefull all tabs must fit exact as this example:

replica uri=ldap://IPOFYOUR2MACHINE:389
binddn="cn=youradmin,dc=your,dc=ldap"
suffix="dc=yourc,dc=ldap"
bindmethod=simple
credentials=securepassword

Now edit the slapd.conf you have copied over to your 2machine fit it to your
needs
And put this few lines at the end:

updatedn "cn=youradmin,dc=your,dc=ldap"
updateref ldap://IPOFYOURMASTERMACHINE

Now you have to grep the Domain SID on the master machine
net getlocalsid
SID for domain XXXXXXX is: S-1-5-21-348532078-20162045-3182299738 <----you
need this SID

Copy this sid over to your 2machine:
There do ex: net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-348532078-20162045-3182299738

Leave the ldap settings the same as on your pdc(It should fit!!). Only
change the IP
Of your passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://IP/! If you have there 127.0.0.1
leave it as it is

On your master machine go to your openldap database directory ex:
/var/lib/ldap
Then do: slapcat -l master.ldif
This will succed in a file: master.ldif.
Copy this file to your second machine ex: scp master.ldif
root@2machine:/var/lib/ldap
On your 2machine you have now to do : slapadd -l master.ldif
Then chown ldap:ldap * to set the right permission for the ladp user.

Now on your 2machine you must now do:

smbpasswd –W <--you are prompted for Ldap-Password
then smbpasswd -a root
Then start ldap, start samba
Restart ldap/Samba on your Master and all is up.

Good Luck
Daniel

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen
Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: mue...@tropenklinik.de
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

tm...@tms3.com

Feb 18, 2011, 8:50:02 AM2/18/11

Yes very nice!

> Now you are on to copy your slapd.conf and ldap.conf to your new
> machine:
> Ex: scp slapd.conf root@2machine:/etc/openldap
>
> Now important I do the trick with slurpd.

Sorry, but Slurpd is depricated and no longer available in Openldap
since 2.3
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Replacing%20Slurpd

Here is nice overview of the way LDAP currently works:

http://blog.suretecsystems.com/archives/129-Replacing-Slurpd-using-OpenLDAP-2.4.html

Once you have sync-repl set up on the current master, and a proper
slapd.conf and ldap.conf file on the new machine, start ldap, then

smbpasswd -w <ldap-master-passwd>
net rpc join -U<administrator> <domain name>

Done.

marcos gonzalez

Feb 19, 2011, 4:30:03 PM2/19/11
Hi

Thanks for all the howto, but I dont understand the part to create ans slave
slapd (my version is 2.4.15 mounted in ubuntu server). At the moment I
understand this steps:

Resume:

>>>First of all install a second machine with the samba and ldap.
>>>Do not start samba, do not start ldap.
>>>The ldap database should be nearly empty ex:/var/lib/ldap

>>>Now copy your smb.conf to your new machine ex: scp root@2machine
:/etc/samba
>>>Edit the smb.conf to your needs and adjust it to be a bdc:
>>>domain master=NO
>>>domain logons=YES
>>>Make a testparm it should succed like this:
>>>testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
Processing section "[sysvol]"
WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[alles]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC <----------------------------
you are a BDC

Now you are on to copy your slapd.conf and ldap.conf to your new machine:

Ex: scp slapd.conf root@2machine:/etc/openldap

---------------------------HOw I can make this If slurpd is deprecated? The
guide

http://blog.suretecsystems.com/archives/129-Replacing-Slurpd-using-OpenLDAP-2.4.html

not's easy to understand, not exist other howto more simple?

replica uri=ldap://IPOFYOUR2MACHINE:389
binddn="cn=youradmin,dc=your,dc=ldap"
suffix="dc=yourc,dc=ldap"
bindmethod=simple
credentials=securepassword

I understand the part of backup slapd only works with the service stopped?

Well Im grateful for all your time :-)

Thanks and Best Regards

tm...@tms3.com

Feb 19, 2011, 10:50:02 PM2/19/11

> Now you are on to copy your slapd.conf and ldap.conf to your new
> machine:
> Ex: scp slapd.conf root@2machine:/etc/openldap
>
> ---------------------------HOw I can make this If slurpd is
> deprecated? The guide
>
> http://blog.suretecsystems.com/archives/129-Replacing-Slurpd-using-OpenLDAP-2.4.html
>
> not's easy to understand, not exist other howto more simple?
Here is another guide. The first link is quite comprehensive.
http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch7/

The entire online manual is a good read. I highly recommend it.

marcos gonzalez

Feb 20, 2011, 8:30:03 AM2/20/11
Hi

Thanks, this howto for me its better. I have other doubt, syncrepl needs to
be installed or comes integrated with slapd daemon?

And to transfer all shared samba folders and profile content, when it's the
better moment? I understand when samba is down or when is up?

Thanks and Best Regards

tm...@tms3.com

Feb 20, 2011, 8:50:01 AM2/20/11

> Hi
>
> Thanks, this howto for me its better. I have other doubt, syncrepl
> needs to be installed or comes integrated with slapd daemon?

It is all part of the openldap suite.

> And to transfer all shared samba folders and profile content, when
> it's the better moment? I understand when samba is down or when is up?

Depends on the permissions. However, so long as ALL the files to be
transferred belong to users in LDAP then, with nss_ldap properly
configured, any copy that preserves permissions should be fine.

marcos gonzalez

Feb 20, 2011, 9:20:01 AM2/20/11
Hi

Ok, and how I config nss_ldap? When I copy all database is included?

Sorry for the newbie questions, If any time comes to barcelona contact me,
you has a beer paid (Daniel too) :-)

Thanks and Best Regards

tm...@tms3.com

Feb 20, 2011, 2:30:03 PM2/20/11

> Hi
>
> Ok, and how I config nss_ldap? When I copy all database is included?

Well, the easiest way, for Samba use, is to simply cp your ldap.conf
file for the ldap client application to nss_ldap.conf--cp ldap.conf
nss_ldap.conf (this can be a bit confusing, as openldap uses a file
called ldap.conf for configuring the ldap client as well as a file
called ldap.conf for configuring basic ldap server process. The
server file is generally contained in the directory where
configuration files are kept in a subdirectory called openldap along
with files like slapd.conf and is generally a small file witch looks
something like this:

#
# LDAP Defaults
#

# See ldap.conf(5) for details
# This file should be world readable but not world writable.

BASE dc=mydomain,dc=com
URI ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fopenldap%2fldapi
ldap://192.168.64.2:389
# TLS_CACERT /usr/local/etc/openldap/cacert.pem

#SIZELIMIT 12
#TIMELIMIT 15
#DEREF never

whereas the ldap.conf for the client is rather lengthy and contains
quite a bit of information for contacting the ldap server, how the dit
should be searched, etc.)

And, no, nss_ldap.conf has nothing to do with the ldap server.
nss_ldap.conf can be used to contact an external ldap server, just as
the ldap.conf for the ldap client application can/

> Sorry for the newbie questions, If any time comes to barcelona contact
> me, you has a beer paid (Daniel too) :-)

Well, now that's quite a generous offer. Much appreciated.

marcos gonzalez

Feb 21, 2011, 2:50:02 AM2/21/11
Ok in my server the ldap config is inside /etc/ and this file nss_ldap it's
inside /etc/ldap/. i didn't understand why pass this but now I understand
all

Thanks

marcos gonzalez

Feb 24, 2011, 11:50:03 AM2/24/11
Hi

Im not sure if it's in this list but configuring ldap Im with a doubt.I
would like to distribute openldap conexions between mail server and samba
server. Which's the better form, master-master or master-slave? I
understand using PDC and BDC the relationship is master-slave, but between
mail and samba?

Thanks & Best Regards

Gaiseric Vandal

Feb 25, 2011, 11:20:02 AM2/25/11
I don't understand your question. What does mail have to do with
Samba? Does your mail server use LDAP authentication? Or do you want
to use the LDAp server as an central address book for your mail
clients. Either way, your LDAP server should be able to support
attributes for both e-mail and samba requirements.

On 02/24/2011 11:42 AM, marcos gonzalez wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im not sure if it's in this list but configuring ldap Im with a doubt.I
> would like to distribute openldap conexions between mail server and samba
> server. Which's the better form, master-master or master-slave? I
> understand using PDC and BDC the relationship is master-slave, but between
> mail and samba?
>

> Thanks& Best Regards

marcos gonzalez

Feb 26, 2011, 5:50:01 AM2/26/11
Hi guys

My network map is simple, ldap inside samba server centralizes all uses
inside the LAN included mail. My question is to reduce the use of net it's a
good idea to create other ldap server inside mail server? And finally
which's the best relation between ldap.samba server and a future ldap mail
server, master.master o master slave?

Thanks And Best Regards