[Samba] Newbie Question - can users create directory on thier own from Win Client ???

Mike Rushton

May 7, 2007, 11:10:07 PM5/7/07
First some background -

We got an old, tired PII, 233 server running NT 4.0

We have a Compaq Proliant that is a quad 550 Xeon CPU, 4 GB, 320 GB of
HD, a tape drive etc. It formerly was an Oracle Server that had SCO
UnixWare 7 on it. Currently it is having a problem - bad controller
card, but we intend to get it fixed. (Not sure if UnixWare comes with
Samba or what version to use, but we also can get out hands on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux)

The Idea is to put some sort of Unix / Linux on it and Samba, and
replace the NT 4.0 machine.

Although we have some work ahead of us, I was wondering, if you set up a
shared directory on a machine, can user create a directory in it on
their own from a client Windows machine ????

If it is not easy for the users to work with, they will not like it. ...

Gary Dale

May 8, 2007, 6:20:13 AM5/8/07
Silly question actually. :)

Basically, if a Windows client can do it while connected to a Windows
server, they can do it while connected to a Samba server. This is a
basic permissions issue. If the client has permission to create a
directory on the share, it should work. The easiest way to set Windows
permissions is to log on from a Windows client with a Domain
Administrator account and set the group permissions, etc. from there.

Mike Rushton

May 8, 2007, 9:00:14 PM5/8/07
Thak you for your response. This may work well.

Do you know if thier is a version of SAMBA that works with SCO Unixware
7 ??? I don't recall what is on that machine - I think in the past
someone tried to get SAMBA or some sort of filesharing to work and could
not. I have to get the machine to boot so I can see what is on it.

This could work.

Above all, I must follow the Prime Directive - DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY
!!! Windows 2003 CALS cost an arm and a leg. I never was a real
fan of NT 4.0 either.