[Samba] slow streaming but fast copy

Tom Van den Eynde

Jan 6, 2007, 8:00:08 AM1/6/07
Hi List,

I have some very strange problems with samba on my shiny new server.

The first problem was that file transfers were very slow (copying a
file of 700Mb took 50 minutes over 100Mbit network). I checked other
protcols (ftp/http/scp) on the server and they were able to use the
100Mbit link for full. After a lot of debugging, I found that the
problem was related to oplocks. When disabling oplocks, the same file
was copied in just under 2 minutes.

However a second problem occured. Although copying files of the samba
file share works perfectly, playing mp3 files of the share does not.
When I open up any mp3 player and want to play a file, it stutters and
it is impossible to listen to. With Winamp, I mangaged to get some
quality by setting the buffer to 100Mb but I don't want to do this at
every pc and in every mp3 client.
I tried different settings (tcp_nodelay, SNDBUF, SRVBUF, TCP_TOS) but
no effect there.
I also ran a tcpdump when copying a file (good) and when streaming a
file (bad) but there are no noticable differences there.

On the samba server, there is also a VMware server running so I tried
setting up a Win VM in there (on the same physical server) and when I
stream files from the Windows VM, I have no problems whatsoever

This leads me to believe that there is a problem with either samba or
the linux kernel.

The server specs are the following:
Hardware: Core 2 Duo 6600, 2 GB DDR RAM, 500 GB SATA, Asus Mobo with
Realtek 10/100/1000 NIC
OS: Debian Stable 3.1, Linux Version 2.6.19.1 SMP
SAMBA: 3.0.23d (from apt repository at samba.org)
Sanitized smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = TESTGROUP
netbios name = server
server string = VDE Server
hosts allow = 1.2.3.4
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 500
log level = 1
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no

interfaces = 1.2.3.4/24

local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
time server = yes

domain logons = no
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
case sensitive = no

[mp3]
path = /home/mp3
comment= MP3 disk
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
force user = nobody
force group = nogroup

Does anyone has a clue what might be wrong?
Oh yeah, the same smb.conf worked perfectly on the old server (with
oplocks enabled that is)

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Van den Eynde

Jan 22, 2007, 2:40:17 PM1/22/07
Hi List,

I wanted to update you on progress made.
I downgraded my samba package from the latest samba.org debian stable
package to the stock debian package which came with the latest sarge (samba
3.0.14a-Debian).
I re-enabled oplocks for my configuration.
After this I noticed the following:
- Playing MP3's from the network share(s) improved but is not yet optimal
- Playing Video's from the network share(s) still is an issue
- copying a large file (700 MB ISO) from the share(s) sometimes takes a long
time:
- It only takes a long time if an oplock EXCLUSIVE+BATCH is granted
- when the oplock breaks (and returns to Level II or none), copying
goes lightning fast!
- I have increased the debugging level but don't see any differences in
logging between a correct (fast) copy a slow copy

Could this have something to do with my CPU/kernel configuration (see
original below)?

Or maybe someone knows extra debugging, steps, I might take to tackle this
issue?

I am getting desperate in this matter ;-)

Kind regards,

Tom

Jason Haar

Jan 22, 2007, 5:20:10 PM1/22/07
Tom Van den Eynde wrote:
> - I have increased the debugging level but don't see any differences in
> logging between a correct (fast) copy a slow copy

Be aware that turning on debugging massively impacts throughput
performance. We were seeing only 50Mbs on Samba servers (with 100M
cards) and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then we noticed "log
level = 9" ;-) Turning that off kicked performance up to 80Mbs - which
is equivalent to our Win2K3 servers.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

Tom Van den Eynde

Jan 23, 2007, 9:40:07 AM1/23/07

As mentioned in the original mail, I also did tests with the latest binary packages from samba.org but theses gave me even worse performance.

Debug Level logging is turned off. I only enabled it during some tests (and then only one client was connect to a Core 2 Duo machine so the machine was not really loaded :) )

Tom