RHEL 6 install gnome packages manually?

已查看 18,886 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

BILL

未读,
2011年2月20日 21:11:272011/2/20
收件人
I installed RHEL 6.0 (from a DVD distribution disc) on my laptop.
Somehow during the installation, I was not prompted any choice for
what packages to install - normally installation will give selections
for different packages set. I tried on this laptop twice and I got
same result - it only installed the very minimum packages and it is
running text mode. I checked, there is no any X or gnome related rpm
installed.

So I am considering to manually install the gnome-required rpms. But
here I get two questions:

1) what is the most top-level rpm name for gnome GUI to run? is it
gnome-desktop*.rpm ?

2) I tried to use rpm -ivh --aid gnome-desktop*.rpm
it still cannot installed the dependent rpms.
question: do we have a decent way to let rpm install all the
required rpms?

Thanks.

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

未读,
2011年2月20日 23:59:322011/2/20
收件人
BILL schreef:
Bill,

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

is the only way I would know how to fix it.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

BILL

未读,
2011年2月21日 10:11:472011/2/21
收件人
On Feb 20, 11:59 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra <jan.ger...@kootstra.org.uk>
wrote:
> Jan Gerrit Kootstra- Hide quoted text -

Jan,

Thanks for the reply. there are two issues for me to run yum
groupinstall ...
1) the NIC for the machine is not working yet
2) I don't have an activated RHN...
wondering whether yum can do groupinstall from the CD dosc?

Thanks.

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

未读,
2011年2月21日 10:41:182011/2/21
收件人
BILL schreef:

Bill,

Let's assume you have an active subscription for the box.

An approach I use is.
create a mount point in a second level directory a create my own repository.

So this is the way I would go:

mkdir /media/dvd

mount /dev/dvd /media/dvd

yum localinstall /media/dvd/Server/createrepo...rpm

mkdir /myrepo/

cd /myrepo

cat /media/dvd/*/repodata/*.xml >> mycomps.xml
vi mycomps.xml
#remove all <comps> </comps>
#except the top <comps> and
#the bottom </comps>

cp -av /media/dvd .

createrepo -g mycomps .

vi /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel60-dvd.repo
[myrhel6]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86_64
baseurl=file:///myrepo
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

SUCCESS,

Jan Gerrit

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

未读,
2011年2月21日 10:47:052011/2/21
收件人
Jan Gerrit Kootstra schreef:
> BILL schreef:
> Bill,
>

> Let's assume you have an active subscription for the box.
>
> An approach I use is.
> create a mount point in a second level directory a create my own
> repository.
>
> So this is the way I would go:
>
> mkdir /media/dvd
>
> mount /dev/dvd /media/dvd
>
> yum localinstall /media/dvd/Server/createrepo...rpm
>
> mkdir /myrepo/
>
> cd /myrepo
>
> cat /media/dvd/*/repodata/*.xml >> mycomps.xml
> vi mycomps.xml
> #remove all <comps> </comps>
> #except the top <comps> and
> #the bottom </comps>
>
> cp -av /media/dvd .
>
> createrepo -g mycomps.xml .

> vi /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel60-dvd.repo
> [myrhel6]
> name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86_64
> baseurl=file:///myrepo
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release
>

> SUCCESS,
>

> Jan Gerrit

Bill,

See above.

I made some errors in the original reply that is why this looks like
another posting.
The errors were to annoying that is why I retracted it.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

Dr Vangel

未读,
2011年2月22日 04:50:112011/2/22
收件人

Bill,
you can save time from reinstalling by using the shell to install the rest
of t he GUI stuff.

this single command should do the trick
#yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

If your system does not support yum you can try this guide I found
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-centos-fedora-linux-yum-command-howto/

This guy is usually right on the money with his guides.

regards
Vangel

begin 644
end

AreefRakhangi

未读,
2011年4月11日 04:41:512011/4/11
收件人
On Feb 22, 4:50 am, Dr Vangel<470e8b8c35...@poster.grepler.com> wrote:
> >I installed RHEL 6.0 (from a DVD distribution disc) on my laptop.
> >Somehow during the installation, I was not prompted any choice for
> >what packages to install - normally installation will give selections
> >for different packages set.  I tried on this laptop twice and I got
> >same result - it only installed the very minimum packages and it is
> >running text mode. I checked, there is no any X or gnome related rpm
> >installed.
>
> >So I am considering to manually install the gnome-required rpms. But
> >here I get two questions:
>
> >1) what is the most top-level rpm name for gnome GUI to run?  is it
> >gnome-desktop*.rpm  ?
>
> >2) I tried to use   rpm -ivh --aid gnome-desktop*.rpm
> >    it still cannot installed the dependent rpms.
> >    question:  do we have a decent way to let rpm install all the
> >required rpms?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> Bill,
> you can save time from reinstalling by using the shell to install the rest
> of t he GUI stuff.
>
> this single command should do the trick
> #yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>
> If your system does not support yum you can try this guide I foundhttp://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-centos-fedora-linux-yum-command-howto/

> This guy is usually right on the money with his guides.
>
> regards
> Vangel

> begin 644
> end- Hide quoted text -

Also if your memory is less you will not be able to install the gnome
properly. ensure you have dedicated atleast around 512 MB of ram

lje...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年2月25日 10:56:452014/2/25
收件人
I would suggest you

1. go to redhats website and reisgter a FREE 30 day trail of RHEL
2. use the account to ebaled 'rhen_register' on the machine you want to download rpms yum packages ti
3. 'yum update' to get all the latest versions or rpms already installed
4. 'yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop' to isntall gnome desktop
5. think about having a support account with redhat if this is a production service

Huru Hasanova

未读,
2014年4月24日 15:20:042014/4/24
收件人
İ have same problem. I already try but still same

vijendra ahirwar

未读,
2014年5月29日 06:24:412014/5/29
收件人
GUYS some body help me actually in my linux(ubuntu ) my ext2 file extention hard disk will not be open ::::;it will give some message like that................

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sda4: Command-line `mount "/mnt/a3ffffea-7960-414c-b3be-2c747b60bb67"' exited with non-zero exit status 12: NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sda4' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around

SOME BODY HELP ME YO OPEN MY DRIVE ;;;;;

HOW TO RECOVER A DATA FROM EXT2 .........

REGARDS
VIJENDRA
0 个新帖子