question about KDE

FroBs

Apr 8, 2002, 2:53:30 PM4/8/02
Hi

I have a couple of questions about KDE.........

First, is it possible to "remove" all the buttons in KDE so that the only
choise is to shutdown Redhat ?

Second, is it possible to have a standard program that starts up every time
KDE starts ?

/FroBs

charadeur

Apr 8, 2002, 7:56:26 PM4/8/02
Not sure about the first question but for the second you can create a
shell script and place it in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ Any script
will run when X starts that is in this directory.

This script will start xeyes if in the above directory:
#!/bin/sh
xeyes

Don't forget to chmod the file to make it executiable.

FroBs

Apr 9, 2002, 4:30:26 PM4/9/02

My first question was about the possibility to controlle the "taskbar" in
KDE.
I have an assignment at work where I have to get a Linux to work together
with a Citrix ICA Client and one of the demands is that the user can't do
anything else than start the client or shutdown the PC.
To do this I have to remove the buttons on the "taskbar" so that there are
no other options than start ICA Client or shutdown Linux.

innocent_lamb

Apr 9, 2002, 4:36:47 PM4/9/02
On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:30:26 -0600, FroBs wrote:

> My first question was about the possibility to controlle the "taskbar"
> in KDE.
> I have an assignment at work where I have to get a Linux to work
> together with a Citrix ICA Client and one of the demands is that the
> user can't do anything else than start the client or shutdown the PC. To
> do this I have to remove the buttons on the "taskbar" so that there are
> no other options than start ICA Client or shutdown Linux.

If that's all that you want then I think you're using a shotgun to kill a
fly. Do you "need" KDE? Is this client a graphical program that
requires the capabilities of X or is it (or can it be) a console
application?

If all that you want to do is to launch a single applicaton and shut it
down again, and if it requires X, then look at a stripped-down window
manager. Blackbox, maybe?

FroBs

Apr 9, 2002, 5:02:33 PM4/9/02

My problem is that the client have to run on an X platform.

About the stripped-down window manager Blackbox is it another type of X
windows
or is it a program you use to manipulate KDE ?

raf

Apr 9, 2002, 5:09:34 PM4/9/02

It's a fast, minimal(no icons on the Desktop, but it does have a Taskbar
called a Slit) oh, did I mention that it's really fast.
http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/

There's also IceWM
http://www.icewm.org/

innocent_lamb

Apr 9, 2002, 5:12:05 PM4/9/02
On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:02:33 -0600, FroBs wrote:

> My problem is that the client have to run on an X platform.
>
> About the stripped-down window manager Blackbox is it another type of X
> windows
> or is it a program you use to manipulate KDE ?

Why are you stuck on KDE? Is the client a KDE applicaton or merely an X
application?

Try a stripped-down window manager that is less complex and feature-rich
than KDE if all that you want to do is to open and close an X application.

If it's actually a KDE application that you're trying to run, that's a
different kettle of fish.

Would you ask how to go about tearing down or bricking up 20 rooms in a
hotel because all you need is one hotel room, or would it be better to
simply find a single-unit dwelling and use that instead. See the
difference?

Yes, it's possible to do what you want to do with KDE. But what I'm
asking you telling you trying to find out is DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED KDE TO
RUN THAT APPLICATION (is it a QT app?) OR DO YOU JUST NEED THE
CAPABILITIES OF X11R6 TO RUN IT.

Lets start there and go forward.

charadeur

Apr 9, 2002, 5:57:14 PM4/9/02
I have setup the citrix client up on several workstations. It is not
specific to KDE.

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:12:05 -0600, innocent_lamb <nos...@example.com>

innocent_lamb

Apr 9, 2002, 6:15:20 PM4/9/02
On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:57:14 -0600, charadeur wrote:

> I have setup the citrix client up on several workstations. It is not
> specific to KDE.

Then as I was saying before, I think that this chap needs to forget about
KDE and just set up blackbox or something similar and be done.

FroBs

Apr 10, 2002, 2:46:59 PM4/10/02

Ok, thanks for the answers, I think I will go for the Blackbox.