RH 8 + multimedia keyboard

ZEB

Nov 8, 2002, 3:51:50 PM11/8/02
Hi
I have Logitech Internet Keyboard with 7 additional multimedia keys :
search, files, e-mail, www, mute, volume- volume+,
in the /etc/X11/Xmodma file I add XF86* definitions to this keys,
definitions I found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet.

The keys have keycodes and xmodmap definitions (confirmed by xev):

key keycode definition

search 229 XF86Search
files 133 XF86MyComputer
e-mail 236 XF86Mail
www 178 XF86WWW
mute 160 XF86AudioMute
volume- 174 XF86AudioLowerVolume
volume+ 176 XF86AudioRaiseVolume

How to configure this definituions in RH8.0+Gnom2 ?

definition action

XF86Search run search file
XF86MyComputer run home directory
XF86Mail run evolution
XF86WWW run mozilla
XF86AudioMute mute audio
XF86AudioLowerVolume lower audio volume
XF86AudioRaiseVolume raise audio volume

Could you help me?

Best regards,
ZEB

Marc Schwartz

Nov 18, 2002, 8:55:22 AM11/18/02
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:56:39 +0000, DMZ wrote:

> "ZEB" <z...@tenbit.pl> wrote in news:pan.2002.11.08.20.51.50.335254
> @tenbit.pl:

>> Hi
>> I have Logitech Internet Keyboard with 7 additional multimedia keys
>> : search, files, e-mail, www, mute, volume- volume+, in the
>> /etc/X11/Xmodma file I add XF86* definitions to this keys,
>> definitions I found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet.
>>
>> The keys have keycodes and xmodmap definitions (confirmed by xev):
>>
>> key keycode definition
>>
>> search 229 XF86Search files 133
>> XF86MyComputer e-mail 236 XF86Mail www
>> 178 XF86WWW
>> mute 160 XF86AudioMute volume- 174
>> XF86AudioLowerVolume volume+ 176
>> XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>

> Another way that doesn't involve changing XModmap is to edit XkbModel
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config to something like "LogiInternet". (I get the
> feeling that really it should be added as XkbVariant rather than
> changing the XkbModel, but that screwed up my region settings when I
> tried something similar)

>> How to configure this definituions in RH8.0+Gnom2 ?

> <snip>
>
> Try installing xbindkeys from RPM and running it:
> http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html
>
> it has the advantage of being window manager independant. Edit
> .xbindkeysrc in your home directory to something like (as an example):
>
> "/usr/bin/mozilla &"
> XF86WWW
>
> "/usr/bin/nautilus &"
> XF86MyComputer
>
> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v +5% &"
> XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>
> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v -5% &"
> XF86AudioLowerVolume
>
> Finally, you'll probably want to start xbindkeys automatically during
> an X session, either in your local .xinitrc, or globally in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xbindkeys:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> [ -x /usr/bin/xbindkeys ] && [ "$USER" != "root" ] && \
> /usr/bin/xbindkeys 2>/dev/null
>
> or something similar.

FWIW you can also use XMMS I-Touch, which is available here:

Marc Schwartz

Nov 18, 2002, 9:00:58 AM11/18/02

Sorry, accidentally hit the send key before completing the post.

The URL is http://psyche.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=104

This is a plug-in for XMMS that has key mappings for several
keyboards, including MS and Logitech. It requires that XMMS be
running however. I use it for my MS Internet Pro keyboard connected to
a Dell i82k laptop and it works well.

If you do use it, install it, then go into XMMS, enable this plug-in and configure
it as appropriate for your keyboard.

HTH,

Marc

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Nov 18, 2002, 10:37:48 AM11/18/02
"Marc Schwartz" <msch...@mn.rr.com> writes:
> This is a plug-in for XMMS that has key mappings for several
> keyboards, including MS and Logitech. It requires that XMMS be
> running however. I use it for my MS Internet Pro keyboard connected to
> a Dell i82k laptop and it works well.
>
> If you do use it, install it, then go into XMMS, enable this plug-in and configure
> it as appropriate for your keyboard.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc

Sounds very interesting. But before I download and install, do you know
whether it supports any Labtec keyboards? I have a wireless one that
has an extra 9 buttons at the top bound to various Windoze-like
applications?

If a keyboard is not directly supported, how hard is it to make it
work? Is it enough to just use xev to find the bindings and then copy
them in to some config file?

Thanks

ZEB

Nov 18, 2002, 1:07:54 PM11/18/02
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:56:39 +0000, DMZ wrote:

>> How to configure this definituions in RH8.0+Gnom2 ?

> <snip>
>
> Try installing xbindkeys from RPM and running it:
> http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html
>
> it has the advantage of being window manager independant.
> Edit .xbindkeysrc in your home directory to something like (as an example):
>
> "/usr/bin/mozilla &"
> XF86WWW
>
> "/usr/bin/nautilus &"
> XF86MyComputer
>
> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v +5% &"
> XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>
> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v -5% &"
> XF86AudioLowerVolume
>
> Finally, you'll probably want to start xbindkeys automatically during an X
> session, either in your local .xinitrc, or globally in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xbindkeys:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> [ -x /usr/bin/xbindkeys ] && [ "$USER" != "root" ] && \
> /usr/bin/xbindkeys 2>/dev/null
>
> or something similar.

THX THX THX
it works :-)
ZEB

Marc Schwartz

Nov 18, 2002, 4:16:20 PM11/18/02

With the presumption that your Labtec board is supported and working
normally now, this should work for the additional keys.

In the plug-in configuration, you can specify "Custom" and then input
the keycodes for the appropriate extra keys on your board.

It's worth a try. As I say, the only downside is that XMMS needs to
be running or it does not work.

Between this plug-in and the i8kutils, I have the majority of the
keyboard related things that I need working on both the primary laptop
keyboard and on the MS external keyboard.

HTH,

Marc

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Nov 19, 2002, 8:06:57 AM11/19/02
"Marc Schwartz" <msch...@mn.rr.com> writes:
> > FWIW you can also use XMMS I-Touch, which is available here:
>
> Sorry, accidentally hit the send key before completing the post.
>
> The URL is http://psyche.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=104
>
> This is a plug-in for XMMS that has key mappings for several
> keyboards, including MS and Logitech. It requires that XMMS be
> running however. I use it for my MS Internet Pro keyboard connected to
> a Dell i82k laptop and it works well.
>
> If you do use it, install it, then go into XMMS, enable this plug-in and configure
> it as appropriate for your keyboard.

I am not sure I understand how to install XMMS.
I got the RPM from psyche.freshrpms.net but it puts everything in
/usr/share.

So, how do you get it to be installed and working? Do you need to put
the config file somewhere else? What do you need to do to turn-on the
plug-in?

Also, you mentioned that XMMS needs to be running. Does this mean it
only works with the XMMS player or will it work with other players
like mplayer?

If I want the keyboard to work all the time, should I just be using
xmodmap to give symbols to the keys and then use xkeybindings to
assign functions? (am I understanding this right?)

Thanks!

Marc Schwartz

Nov 19, 2002, 12:48:56 PM11/19/02

XMMS is accessible from "Sound and Video" -> "Audio Player" on the main
Gnome (RH) menu.

Run it and then Right mouse click over the player window so that the
menu appears. Go to Options -> Preferences. Then select the
Effect/General Plugins tab.

Presuming that you have installed iTouch, enable it in the list and
select the Configure button to set it up for your keyboard.

Keep in mind that this does not enable the primary keys on your
keyboard, only the extra Multimedia and other special function keys.
As I mentioned previously, you need to be sure that your keyboard is
working already before using iTouch. If the keyboard is not working
already, you may have to do some research relative to what
configuration is required to do so.

This plugin for XMMS is useful when you want to be able to use the
extra MM keys, etc for controlling sound play, volume and so forth.

To the best of my knowledge the plugin will not work with other programs.

Lastly, if you want to use these special keys at all times you will
need to set up a configuration using xmodmap, etc since the approach
using iTouch requires XMMS be running.

HTH,

Marc

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Nov 19, 2002, 2:38:20 PM11/19/02
DMZ <d...@NOSPAMadjective-army.com> writes:
> Try installing xbindkeys from RPM and running it:
> http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html
>
> it has the advantage of being window manager independant.
> Edit .xbindkeysrc in your home directory to something like (as an example):

> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v +5% &"

> XF86AudioRaiseVolume
>
> "/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -v -5% &"
> XF86AudioLowerVolume

I tried this on my RH8 Linux machine (though aumix-minimal is actually
in /bin on RH8.0) and I couldn't get these two functions to
work. Nothing happens to the volume.

When I run them from an xterminal, they work fine so the sound mixer
(aumix-minimal) itself is clearly working. Interestingly, though, I
had to use the -w (PCM) switch since the master volume switch (-v) had
no effect on volume (similary in the graphical 'aumix' display). Why?

Also, xbindkeys and the particular key assignments
"XF86AudioRaiseVolume" and "XF86AudioLowerVolume" work properly when I
assign another test program to them such as mozilla or emacs.

So what about auxmix-minimal causes it to seemingly not work properly
via xbindings?

My configurations are as follows for my Labtec Cordless Desktop
keyboard: (Note names given in commments are the "official" Labtec key names)
~/.xinitrc
# Refresh
"/usr/bin/nautilus &"
XF86Refresh
# Bookmark
"/usr/bin/gnome-terminal &"
XF86Favorites
"/usr/bin/gnome-search-tool &"
XF86Search
# Mail
"/usr/bin/emacs &"
XF86Mail
# Internet
"/usr/bin/mozilla &"
XF86WWW
# Play/Pause
"/usr/bin/gmplayer &"
XF86AudioPlay
# Volume Up
"/bin/aumix-minimal -w +5% &"
XF86AudioRaiseVolume
# Volume Down
"/bin/aumix-minimal -w -5% &"
XF86AudioLowerVolume
# Volume Mute
"/usr/bin/aumix-minimal -w0 &"
XF86AudioMute

.Xmodmap (works properly as verified by 'xev')

! Refresh
keycode 231 = XF86Refresh
! Bookmark
keycode 230 = XF86Favorites
keycode 229 = XF86Search
! Mail
keycode 236 = XF86Mail
! Internet
keycode 178 = XF86WWW
! Play/Pause
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay XF86AudioPause
! Volume Up
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
! Volume Down
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
! Volume Mute
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Nov 19, 2002, 2:42:14 PM11/19/02
DMZ <d...@NOSPAMadjective-army.com> writes:
> Finally, you'll probably want to start xbindkeys automatically during an X
> session, either in your local .xinitrc, or globally in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xbindkeys:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> [ -x /usr/bin/xbindkeys ] && [ "$USER" != "root" ] && \
> /usr/bin/xbindkeys 2>/dev/null
>
> or something similar.

I am having trouble with this. The global /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file
seems to only call the ~/.Xclients file and not ~/.xinitrc.

Even so, when I put these lines instead in my ~/.Xclients nothing happens even
though the file works when I manually "source" it.

So why is .Xclients seemingly not executed? Does gnome not use the global
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file?

Any other thoughts?