Fresh Install Red Hat 6.1 and Flashing Screen

mcmo...@my-deja.com

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
I just did a fresh install from the Redhat CD of 6.1. Installation
seemed to go fine. I did a custom setup and set up my filesystems and
then loaded the software. The system then rebooted and everything
looked ok up until it gave me a login prompt. The prompt appears on
the screen -- but -- the screen starts flashing off and on and does not
allow a login to take place. I can do ctl-alt-del and it boots down
and then back up fine and then I get the flashing screen again.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks!!!

Mark Monroe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Stephen P Craxford

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
mcmo...@my-deja.com wrote:

I encountered this myself a while back. I had to press <Ctrl><Alt><F1> to
bring up a console, then ran XConfigurator to set up my video settings.
It corrected the problem for me.

Cheers
Phil

Panu Matilainen

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
mcmo...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I just did a fresh install from the Redhat CD of 6.1. Installation
> seemed to go fine. I did a custom setup and set up my filesystems and
> then loaded the software. The system then rebooted and everything
> looked ok up until it gave me a login prompt. The prompt appears on
> the screen -- but -- the screen starts flashing off and on and does not
> allow a login to take place. I can do ctl-alt-del and it boots down
> and then back up fine and then I get the flashing screen again.
>
> Anyone have any ideas for me?

I suppose the 'flashing screen' means it tries to start up X but then
dies, tries to start it again etc etc. Boot the thing to single user
mode from LILO, like this:
LILO: linux single

That will throw you into root shell, now you can change the default
system runlevel by editing /etc/inittab. There's a line like this:
id:5:initdefault:
change it to
id:3:initdefault:
..save the file and say logout. The system should now boot to non-X
mode so that you can at least login and see what's wrong. See
if 'startx' gives you some failure messages.

BTW one thing that might cause X to flash the screen on and off is
that you have too high resolution/refresh rate for your monitor.

- Panu -