ADI Blackfin porting for kernel-2.6.13

1 view

Luke Yang

Sep 20, 2005, 2:40:14 AM9/20/05

I am Luke Yang, an engineer from Analog Devices Inc. We ported
uclinux to our Blackfin cpu. Now we updated our architecture code for
kernel-2.6.13. I will send out a patch to this list.

I know kernel-2.6.14 is coming. Will the linux kernel accept our
patch for 2.6.13?

Regards,
Luke Yang
-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org

Deepak Saxena

Sep 20, 2005, 3:20:13 AM9/20/05
On Sep 20 2005, at 14:33, Luke Yang was caught saying:

> Hi,
>
> I am Luke Yang, an engineer from Analog Devices Inc. We ported
> uclinux to our Blackfin cpu. Now we updated our architecture code for
> kernel-2.6.13. I will send out a patch to this list.
>
> I know kernel-2.6.14 is coming. Will the linux kernel accept our
> patch for 2.6.13?

Nope. 2.6.13 is now closed to new features as is 2.6.14 (unless it is
a really sper special case that Linus feels is important enough to slip
in). At this point the best thing to do is to post your patches for review,
make the changes that are asked, and be ready to post a patch vs 2.6.14
within the first week after it is released so that it might be be picked
up for 2.6.15.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsa...@plexity.net - http://www.plexity.net

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Luke Yang

Sep 23, 2005, 1:40:06 AM9/23/05
Hi all,

This is the ADI Blackfin patch for kernel 2.6.13. I know this
patch doesn' meet the kernel patch submission format, but this patch
is only for reviewing, shows the changes we made. And I'll send new
patch for kernel 2.6.14 for you to merge into kernel.

This patch mainly includes the arch/bfinnommu architecture files
and some blackfin specific drivers. The only change to the common
files is that we change binfmt.c and related header file, added one
flat binary format for blackfin. We are considering removing this
change in next release.

The patch is too big to put here , url is
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/frs/download.php/570/bfinnonnu-linux-2.6.13.patch

Thanks!
Luke

Robert Schwebel

Sep 24, 2005, 11:00:13 AM9/24/05
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 01:37:03PM +0800, Luke Yang wrote:
> This patch mainly includes the arch/bfinnommu architecture files and
> some blackfin specific drivers.

Having in mind the pain with arm and m68k with and without MMU, could
you structure that thing in a way that it will be able to share the
current nommu code with (hopefully coming) code for blackfins which
might have a MMU? So it would be something like arch/blackfin.

Robert
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-9

Luke Yang

Sep 26, 2005, 9:40:05 PM9/26/05
We really don't have plan about Blackfin with a MMU now. So do you
beleve it is necessary to change the name to arch/blackfin?

Robert Schwebel

Sep 27, 2005, 1:10:10 AM9/27/05
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:37:59AM +0800, Luke Yang wrote:
> We really don't have plan about Blackfin with a MMU now. So do you
> beleve it is necessary to change the name to arch/blackfin?

Hmm, as far as I know there are at least plans for variants with memory
protection units (but without virtual addressing), but anyway - why put
the mmu into the architecture name? If you use "blackfin" you are open
to everything and no non dsp guru has to guess what bf might be ;)