[ANNOUNCE] udev 069 release

Greg KH

Sep 13, 2005, 1:50:16 PM9/13/05
I've released the 069 version of udev. It can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-058.tar.gz

udev allows users to have a dynamic /dev and provides the ability to
have persistent device names. It uses sysfs and /sbin/hotplug and runs
entirely in userspace. It requires a 2.6 kernel with CONFIG_HOTPLUG
enabled to run. Please see the udev FAQ for any questions about it:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

For any udev vs devfs questions anyone might have, please see:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs

And there is a general udev web page at:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

Note, I _really_ recommend anyone running 2.6.13 or newer to upgrade to
at least the 068 version of udev due to some very nice speed improvemets
(not to mention the fact that the 2.6.12 kernel requires at least the
058 version of udev.)

There have been lots of good bugfixes and new features added since the
last time I announced a udev release, so see the RELEASE-NOTES file for
details, and the changelog below.

udev uses git for its source code control system. The main udev git
repo can be found at:
rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/hotplug/udev.git
and can be browsed online at:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git

thanks,

greg k-h

Summary of changes from v068 to v069

Amir Shalem:
fix typo in firmware_helper

Duncan Sands:
firmware_helper: fix write count

Kay Sievers:
*_id: fix zero length in set_str()
add program name to logged error
fix exit code of udevinitsend and udevmonitor
udevd: keep the right order for messages without SEQNUM
volume_id: don't probe for mac_partition_maps
udevmonitor: cleanup on exit
path_id: remove SUSE specific PATH
update SUSE rules
add pci_express to bus list
update SUSE rules
store ENV{key}="value" exported keys in the database
fix lookup for name in the udevdb, it should return the devpath
prepare for new HAL udevdb dump
print persistent data with "udevinfo -q all"
change parameter order of udev_db_search_name()
add and use name_list_cleanup() for cleaning up the string lists
don't store devpath in udevdb, we don't need it
add uft8 validation for safe volume label exporting
start to enforce plain ascii or valid utf8
use WRITE_END/READ_END for the pipe index
remove not needed sig_flag for state of signal_pipe
don't reenter get_udevd_msg() if message is ignored
rename ...trailing_char() to ...trailing_chars()
vol_id: ID_LABEL_SAFE will no longer contain fancy characters
udevd: move some logging to "info" and "err"
remove special TIMEOUT handling from incoming queue
udev_test.pl: we replace untrusted chars with '_'
check the udevdb before assigning a new %e
update RELEASE-NOTES
udevinfo: add database export
write man page masters in DocBook XML
udevinfo: rename dump() to export()
test the automatic man page rebuild and checkin
Makefile: remove all the duplicated rules
all man pages rewritten to use DocBook XML
add missing udevsend man page
also forgot udevmonitor.8
udevinfo: restore -d option
scsi_id: rename SYSFS to LIBSYSFS
add edd_id tool to match BIOS EDD disk information
move and update libsysfs.txt
klibc: update to version 1.1.1
delete cdromsymlinks* - obsoleted by cdrom_id and IMPORT rules
delete docs/persistent_naming - obsoleted by persistent disk names
delete old Fedora html page
add "totally outdated" header to docs/overview :)
update SUSE rules
fix useless but funny name_cdrom.pl script to work again
update TODO
Makefile: fix prerequisits for $(PROGRAMS)
Makefile: cleanup install targets
remove chassis_id program
fic gcov use and move it into the Makefile
FAQ: update things that have changed

Thierry Vignaud:
switch to '==' in raid-devfs.sh

Summary of changes from v067 to v068

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
add EXTRAS documentation to the README file.
Always open the cdrom drive in non-blocking mode in cdrom_id
cdrom_id: change err() to info() to help with debugging problems

Kay Sievers:
cleanup some debug output and move to info level + unify select() loops
move udevmonitor to /usr/sbin
ENV{TEST}=="1" compares and ENV{TEST}="1" sets the environment
vol_id: fix sloppy error handling
fix typo in cdrom_id syslog
bring std(in|out|err) fd's in a sane state
fix printed udevmonitor header

Summary of changes from v066 to v067

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
added the cdrom.h #defines directly into the cdrom_id.c file

Kay Sievers:
update SUSE rules
fix make install, as we don't provide a default rule set anymore
fix more compiler warnings ...
fix udevstart event ordering, we want /dev/null very early
don't fail too bad, if /dev/null does not exist

Summary of changes from v065 to v066

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
update gentoo rule file.
Created cdrom_id program to make it easier to determine cdrom types
added cdrom_id to the build check
updated gentoo rule file to handle removable ide devices.
changed cdrom_id exports to be easier to understand and consistant with other _id programs.
fix klibc build issue in cdrom_id.c
Change the gentoo rules to use cdrom_id instead of cdsymlink.sh
changed location of gentoo helper apps to be /sbin instead of in scripts dir
tweak the gentoo rules some more.

Kay Sievers:
add NETLINK define for the lazy distros
read sysfs attribute also from parent class device
switch some strlcpy's to memcpy
allow clean shutdown of udevd
add flag for reading of precompiled rules
update distro rules files
add SUSE rules
update SUSE rules
add firmware_helper to load firmware
more distro rules updates
update README
remove example rules and put the dev.d stuff into the run_directory folder
trivial text cleanups
update SUSE rules
split udev_util in several files
update SUSE rules
allow logging of all output from executed tools
add Usage: to udevmonitor and udevcontrol
move some logging to the info level

Thierry Vignaud:
fix udevinfo output

Summary of changes from v064 to v065

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
Added persistent name rules for block devices to gentoo rule file.
Added horrible (but fun) path_id script to extras.
Update gentoo rules file.

Kay Sievers:
update release notes for next version
add udevmonitor, to debug netlink+udev events at the same time
allow RUN to send the environment to a local socket
fix GGC signed pointer warnings and switch volume_id to stdint

Summary of changes from v063 to v064

Andre Masella:
volume_id: add OCFS (Oracle Cluster File System) support

Hannes Reinecke:
usb_id: fix typo
add ID_BUS to *_id programs
create_floppy_devices: add tool to create floppy nodes based on sysfs info

Kay Sievers:
move code to its own files
make SYSFS{} usable for all devices
add padding to rules structure
allow rules to have labels and skip to next label
thread unknown ENV{key} match as empty value

Summary of changes from v062 to v063

Anton Farygin:
fix typo in GROUP value application

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
add 'make tests' as I'm always typing that one wrong...
Really commit the udev_run_devd changes...
Fixed udev_run_devd to run the /etc/dev.d/DEVNAME/ files too
fix position of raw rules in gentoo config file

Hannes Reinecke:
dasd_id: add s390 disk-label prober
fix usb_id and let scsi_id ignore "illegal request"

Kay Sievers:
volume_id: remove s390 dasd handling, it is dasd_id now
trivial fixes for *_id programs
IMPORT: add {parent} to import the persistent data of the parent device
allow multiple values to be matched with KEY=="value1|value2"
udevd: set incoming socket buffer SO_RCVBUF to maximum
remember mapped rules state
ata_id: check for empty serial number
compile dasd only on s390

Ville Skyttä:
correct default mode documentation in udev

Summary of changes from v061 to v062

Kay Sievers:
fix symlink values separated by multiple spaces
update RELEASE-NOTES
fix typo in group assignment
fix default-name handling and NAME="" rules
add WAIT_FOR_SYSFS key to loop until a file in sysfs arrives
fix unquoted strings in udevinitsend

Summary of changes from v060 to v061

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
Sync up the Debian rules files
fix cdrom symlink problem in gentoo rules
Fix ChangeLog titles

Kay Sievers:
update RELEASE-NOTES
we want to provide OPTFLAGS
rename ALARM_TIMEOUT to UDEV_ALARM_TIMEOUT
udevd: optimize env-key parsing
don't resolve OWNER, GROUP on precompile if string contains %, $
set default device node to /dev
create udevdb files only if somehting interesting happened
pack parsed rules list
replace useless defines by inline text
move rule matches to function
add usb_id program to generate usb-storage device identifiers
add IEEE1394 rules to the gentoo rule file
fake also kernel-name if we renamed a netif
allow OPTIONS to be recognized for /sys/modules /sys/devices events
switch gentoo rules to new operators

Summary of changes from v059 to v060

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
Fix the gentoo udev rules to allow the box to boot properly

Gustavo Zacarias:
Udev doesn't properly build with $CROSS

Kay Sievers:
Keep udevstart from skipping devices without a 'dev' file

Marco d'Itri:
#define NETLINK_KOBJECT_UEVENT

Summary of changes from v058 to v059

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
Update the gentoo rule file
Fix udevinfo for empty sysfs directories
Fix makefile to allow 'make release' to work with git

Hannes Reinecke:
udev: fix netdev RUN handling
udevcontrol: fix exit code

Kay Sievers:
prepare RELEASE-NOTES
add ID_TYPE to the id probers
add -x to scsi_id to export the queried values in env format
store the imported device information in the udevdb
rename udev_volume_id to vol_id and add --export option
add ata_id to read serial numbers from ATA drives
IMPORT allow to import program returned keys into the env
unify execute_command() and execute_program()
IMPORT=<file> allow to import a shell-var style config-file
allow rules to be compiled to one binary file
fix the fix and change the file to wait for to the "bus" link
fix udevstart and let all events trvel trough udev
prepare for module loading rules and add MODALIAS key
remove device node, when type block/char has changed
Makefile: remove dev.d/ hotplug.d/ from install target
udevcontrol: add max_childs command
udevd: control log-priority of the running daemon with udevcontrol
udeveventrecorder: add small program that writes an event to disk
klibc: add missing files
udevinitsend: handle replay messages correctly
udev man page: add operators
udevd: allow starting of udevd with stopped exec-queue
klibc: version 1.0.14
udev: handle all events - not only class and block devices
volume_id: use udev-provided log-level
udev: clear lists if a new value is assigned
udev: move dev.d/ handling to external helper
udev: allow final assignments :=
udevd: improve timeout handling
Makefile: fix DESTDIR
udevd: add initsend
udevd: add udevcontrol
udevd: listen for netlink events

Stefan Schweizer:
Dialout group fix for capi devices in the gentoo rules file

-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org

Greg KH

Sep 13, 2005, 2:40:12 PM9/13/05
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:48:48AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> I've released the 069 version of udev. It can be found at:
> kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-058.tar.gz

Oops, that's:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-069.tar.gz

Sorry about that.

greg k-h

Jürg Billeter

Sep 14, 2005, 7:20:08 AM9/14/05
On Die, 2005-09-13 at 10:48 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Makefile: cleanup install targets

The extras Makefiles haven't been updated and thus break the install
targets. Something like the attached patch should help.

Regards,

Jürg

--
Jürg Billeter <j...@bitron.ch>

udev-069-makefile-1.patch

Kay Sievers

Sep 14, 2005, 11:40:11 AM9/14/05
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:18:47PM +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> On Die, 2005-09-13 at 10:48 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Makefile: cleanup install targets
>
> The extras Makefiles haven't been updated and thus break the install
> targets. Something like the attached patch should help.

Oops, thanks for the patch. I've applied it and added a test to to our
testscript for it.

Thanks,
Kay