Linux 2.6.31-rc4

Linus Torvalds

Jul 22, 2009, 10:50:10 PM7/22/09

Ok, that was a fun week.

We had a binutils bug, a ccache bug, and a compiler bug. And that was just
the bugs that were outside the kernel, but resulted in a broken build.

But while that was unusual, the rest of the stuff is pretty regular. Lots
of small fixes all around. The patch is dominated by a couple of new
network drivers, but apart from those, it's generally pretty small - lots
of one-liners and "few-liners".

The shortlog gives a reasonable idea about what's happened.

Linus

---
Abhishek Kulkarni (3):
9p: default 9p transport module fix
9p: Possible regression in p9_client_stat
9p: Fix incorrect parameters to v9fs_file_readn.

Alan Cox (4):
tty: fix close/hangup race
n_tty: Fix echo race
tty_port: Fix return on interrupted use
tty: fix chars_in_buffers

Alberto Panizzo (2):
ARM MXC: Armadillo 500 add NOR flash device support (resend).
Armadillo 500 add NAND flash device support (resend).

Alex Deucher (1):
drm/radeon: add some missing pci ids

Alex Williamson (1):
virtio_net: Sync header with qemu

Andreas Jaggi (1):
gre: fix ToS/DiffServ inherit bug

Andreas Schwab (1):
powerpc: Fix another bug in move of altivec code to vector.S

Andrew Morton (1):
drivers/serial/bfin_sport_uart.c: remove wrong and unneeded memset

Anton Blanchard (8):
perf_counter tools: Rename cache events to remove $
perf_counter: Make sure we dont leak kernel memory to userspace
perf_counter: Synthesize VDSO mmap event
perf_counter: Log vfork as a fork event
perf_counter: Add perf record option to log addresses
perf_counter: Make call graph option consistent
perf_counter: Improve perf stat and perf record option parsing
perf_counter: Fix throttle/unthrottle event logging

Arjan van de Ven (3):
perf: Fix stack data leak
perf: avoid structure size confusion by using a fixed size
perf: fix stack data leak

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (7):
perf report: Adjust column width to the values sampled
perf report: Tidy up reporting of symbols not found
strlist: Introduce strlist__entry and strlist__nr_entries methods
perf report: Make the output more compact
perf_counter tools: PLT info is stripped in -debuginfo packages
perf report: Introduce -n/--show-nr-samples
perf symbol: C++ demangling

Arnaud Lacombe (2):
kconfig: variable argument lists needs `stdarg.h'
kconfig: initialize the screen before using curses(3) functions

Artem Bityutskiy (1):
UBI: gluebi: initialize ubi_num field

Aurelien Jarno (1):
Revert "Neither asm/types.h nor linux/types.h is required for arch/ia64/include/asm/fpu.h"

Barry Song (1):
Blackfin: bf537-stamp: fix irq decl for AD7142

Ben Dooks (1):
net: Micrel KS8851 SPI network driver

Ben Hutchings (2):
netdev: restore MAC address set and validate operations
netdev: restore MTU change operation

Bruno Premont (1):
genirq: Fix UP compile failure caused by irq_thread_check_affinity

Casey Dahlin (1):
dlm: free socket in error exit path

Cesar Eduardo Barros (1):
New device ID for sc92031 [1088:2031]

Chris Wilson (1):
perf_counter: Fix the tracepoint channel to perfcounters

Christoph Hellwig (2):
virtio_blk: don't bounce highmem requests
virtio_blk: ioctl return value fix

Clemens Ladisch (1):
sound: usb-audio: add workaround for Blue Microphones devices

Daniel Mack (4):
[ARM] pxa: correct I2CPWR clock for pxa3xx
[ARM] pxa: use kzalloc() in pxa_init_gpio_chip()
ASoC: Fix NULL pointer dereference in __pxa2xx_pcm_hw_free
Input: fix EVIOCGNAME/JSIOCGNAME regression

Daniel Qarras (1):
perf_counter, x86: Extend perf_counter Pentium M support

Dave Jones (1):
x86: Fix warning in pvclock.c

Dave Kleikamp (1):
powerpc: Fix booke user_disable_single_step()

David Brownell (1):
i2c-davinci: behave with i2cdetect

David S. Miller (1):
Revert "NET: Fix locking issues in PPP, 6pack, mkiss and strip line disciplines."

David Teigland (1):
dlm: fix plock use-after-free

Davide Libenzi (1):
lguest: remove unnecessary forward struct declaration

Dhananjay Phadke (3):
netxen: fix context deletion sequence
netxen: fix deadlock on dev close
netxen: fix thermal check and shutdown

Dongdong Deng (1):
drivers/net: using spin_lock_irqsave() in net_send_packet()

Eric Dumazet (5):
net: sk_prot_alloc() should not blindly overwrite memory
net: ip_push_pending_frames() fix
igb: gcc-3.4.6 fix
netfilter: nf_conntrack: nf_conntrack_alloc() fixes
net: sock_copy() fixes

Eugene Teo (1):
Add '-fno-delete-null-pointer-checks' to gcc CFLAGS

Evgeniy Polyakov (1):
connector: maintainer/mail update.

Fabio Checconi (2):
sched: Fix rt_rq->pushable_tasks initialization in init_rt_rq()
sched: Account for vruntime wrapping

Fenghua Yu (1):
Fix ia64 compilation IS_ERR and PTE_ERR errors.

Finn Thain (1):
macsonic, jazzsonic: fix oops on module unload

Frank Roth (1):
ALSA: ctxfi: Swapped SURROUND-SIDE channels on emu20k2

Frans Pop (1):
Input: pcspkr - switch driver to dev_pm_ops

Giuseppe Mazzotta (1):
Input: wistron_btns - recognize Maxdata Pro 7000 notebooks

Graf Yang (3):
Blackfin: update anomaly lists to match latest sheets/usage
Blackfin: update handling of anomaly 364 (wrong rev id in BF527-0.1)
Blackfin: add CPLB entries for Core B on-chip L1 SRAM regions

Guennadi Liakhovetski (2):
pcm037: add MT9T031 camera support
ARM: add support for the EET board, based on the i.MX31 pcm037 module

Hao Song (1):
ALSA: hda - Add quirk for Gateway T6834c laptop

Hartley Sweeten (1):
[ARM] 5595/1: ep93xx: missing header in dma-m2p.c

Heiko Carstens (1):
timer stats: fix quick check optimization

Holger Brunck (1):
UBI: fix bug in image sequence number handling

Huang Weiyi (1):
mx31: remove duplicated #include

Jaroslav Kysela (2):
ALSA: hda_intel: more strict alc880_parse_auto_config dig_nid checking
ALSA: hda_codec: Check for invalid zero connections

Jason Baron (2):
perf_counter: Add tracepoint support to perf list, perf stat
perf_counter: Detect debugfs location

Jaswinder Singh Rajput (2):
ALSA: riptide - proper handling of pci_register_driver for joystick
ALSA: OSS sequencer should be initialized after snd_seq_system_client_init

Jeff Layton (1):
cifs: free nativeFileSystem field before allocating a new one

Jerone Young (1):
Input: atkbd - add force relese key quirk for Soltech TA12

Jesse Barnes (1):
fb/intelfb: conflict with DRM_I915 and hide by default

Jie Zhang (1):
Blackfin: fix miscompilation in lshrdi3

Jiri Slaby (5):
HID: hiddev, fix lock imbalance
NET: phy_device, fix lock imbalance
drm: drm_debugfs, check kmalloc retval
drm: drm_gem, check kzalloc retval
tty: nozomi, fix tty refcounting bug

Joe Perches (1):
netfilter: add netfilter git to MAINTAINERS

Johannes Weiner (1):
vt: drop bootmem/slab memory distinction

John Dykstra (2):
tcp: Fix MD5 signature checking on IPv4 mapped sockets
tcp: Use correct peer adr when copying MD5 keys

Julia Lawall (11):
i2c: Use resource_size
drivers/ata: Move a dereference below a NULL test
drm: Move a dereference below a NULL test
arch/blackfin: Add kmalloc NULL tests
ataflop: adjust NULL test
ALSA: sound/isa: convert nested spin_lock_irqsave to spin_lock
HID: Move dereferences below a NULL test
specialix.c: convert nested spin_lock_irqsave to spin_lock
drivers/net: Move a dereference below a NULL test
drivers/net: Move a dereference below a NULL test
drivers/net/mlx4: Adjust constant

Kay Sievers (1):
vc: create vcs(a) devices for consoles

Ken Kawasaki (1):
3c589_cs: re-initialize the multicast in the tc589_reset

Kevin Hilman (1):
i2c-davinci: convert clock usage after clkdev conversion

Krzysztof Halasa (1):
E100: work around the driver using streaming DMA mapping for RX descriptors.

Li Zefan (1):
tracing/events: Move TRACE_SYSTEM outside of include guard

Linus Torvalds (3):
Revert "ppp: Fix throttling bugs"
fbmon: work around compiler bug in gcc-2.4.2
Linux 2.6.31-rc4

Linus Walleij (2):
[ARM] 5594/1: Correct U300 VIC init PM setting
[ARM] 5608/1: Updated U300 defconfig

Lothar Waï¿œmann (2):
net/can bugfix: use after free bug in can protocol drivers
net/can: add module alias to can protocol drivers

Lucas De Marchi (1):
sched: Reset sched stats on fork()

Lucy Liu (2):
ixgbe: clear mac address data block in DCB mode
ixgbe: Remove DPRINTK messages in DCB mode

Marc Zyngier (1):
backlight: fix pwm_bl.c to notify platform code when suspending

Mark Goodwin (1):
ahci: add device ID for 82801JI sata controller

Mark McLoughlin (1):
virtio-pci: correctly unregister root device on error

Matias Zabaljauregui (1):
lguest: fix journey

Matt Reimer (1):
pxamci: correct DMA flow control

Maxime Bizon (1):
ide: fix memory leak when flush command is issued

Michael Buesch (1):
ide-tape: Don't leak kernel stack information

Michael Gruber (1):
Input: xpad - don't resend successfully sent outgoing requests

Michael Hennerich (3):
Blackfin: fix incomplete renaming of the bfin-twi-lcd driver
Blackfin: fix bugs in GPIO resume code
Blackfin: drop per-cpu loops_per_jiffy tracking

Mike Frysinger (5):
Blackfin: drop dead flash_probe call
Blackfin: restore exception banner when dumping crash info
Blackfin: handle BF561 Core B memory regions better when SMP=n
Blackfin: fix early_dma_memcpy() handling of busy channels
Blackfin: define HARDIRQ_BITS again for now

Mike Galbraith (2):
perf_counter tools: Fix vmlinux symbol generation breakage
perf_counter tools: Give perf top inherit option

Mike McCormack (1):
sky2: Avoid races in sky2_down

Mike Rapoport (1):
[ARM] pxa: fix ULPI_{DIR,NXT,STP} MFP defines

Moni Shoua (1):
bonding: clean muticast addresses when device changes type

Nicolas Pitre (1):
mvsdio: fix handling of partial word at the end of PIO transfer

Patrick McHardy (1):
netfilter: xt_osf: fix nf_log_packet() arguments

Paul Turner (1):
sched: Fix bug in SCHED_IDLE interaction with group scheduling

Pavel Roskin (1):
timer: Avoid reading uninitialized data

Peter Zijlstra (9):
perf_counter: Fix up P6 PMU details
perf_counter: Clean up global vs counter enable
perf_counter: Stop open coding unclone_ctx
sched_rt: Fix overload bug on rt group scheduling
softirq: introduce tasklet_hrtimer infrastructure
perf_counter: Remove unused variables
perf_counter: Plug more stack leaks
perf_counter: PERF_SAMPLE_ID and inherited counters
lockdep: Fix lockdep annotation for pipe_double_lock()

Rakib Mullick (3):
x86: Fix false positive section mismatch in es7000_32.c
x86, apic: Fix false positive section mismatch in numaq_32.c
virtio_blk: mark virtio_blk with __refdata to kill spurious section mismatch

Ralf Baechle (3):
NET: Fix locking issues in PPP, 6pack, mkiss and strip line disciplines.
MAINTAINERS entry for STRIP driver
Update Andreas Koensgen's email address

Robin Getz (6):
Blackfin: cleanup code a bit with comments and defines
Blackfin: work around anomaly 05000281
Blackfin: fix silent crash when no uClinux MTD filesystem exists
Blackfin: drop duplicate runtime checking of anomaly 05000448
Blackfin: fix handling of IPEND in interrupt context save
Blackfin: work around anomaly 05000189

Roel Kluin (2):
perf_counter tools: Fix index boundary check
drm/ttm: fix misplaced parentheses

Roland Dreier (1):
x86: Remove spurious printk level from segfault message

Russell King (1):
ARM: Realview & Versatile: Fix i2c_board_info definitions

Rusty Russell (1):
lguest: restrict CPUID to avoid perf counter wrmsr

Ryan Mallon (1):
[ARM] 5606/1: Fix ep93xx watchdog driver headers

Ryusuke Konishi (1):
fs/Kconfig: move nilfs2 out

Rï¿œmi Denis-Courmont (2):
Fix error return for setsockopt(SO_TIMESTAMPING)
USB host CDC Phonet network interface driver

Sascha Hlusiak (1):
sit: fix regression: do not release skb->dst before xmit

Simon Davie (1):
Input: atkbd - add forced release keys quirk for FSC Amilo Pi 3525

Simon Farnsworth (1):
drm/via: Fix vblank IRQ on VIA hardware.

Simon Kagstrom (1):
[ARM] Kirkwood: Correct header define

Sonic Zhang (2):
Blackfin: fix wrong CTS inversion
blackfin: fix wrong CTS inversion

Sonny Rao (1):
futexes: Fix infinite loop in get_futex_key() on huge page

Stephen Hemminger (1):
sky2: revert shutdown changes

Steve French (1):
[CIFS] Distinguish posix opens and mkdirs from legacy mkdirs in stats

Steven Rostedt (1):
tracing/function-profiler: do not free per cpu variable stat

Steven Whitehouse (1):
dlm: Fix uninitialised variable warning in lock.c

Takashi Iwai (2):
ALSA: hda - Fix pin-setup for Sony VAIO with STAC9872 codecs
ALSA: ca0106 - Fix the max capture buffer size

Tejun Heo (3):
libata: fix follow-up SRST failure path
libata: implement and use HORKAGE_NOSETXFER, take#2
block: fix failfast merge testing in elv_rq_merge_ok()

Thomas Gleixner (6):
hrtimer: migration: do not check expiry time on current CPU
hrtimer: Fix migration expiry check
sched: fix load average accounting vs. cpu hotplug
sched: fix nr_uninterruptible accounting of frozen tasks really
clocksource: Prevent NULL pointer dereference
genirq: Delegate irq affinity setting to the irq thread

Tim Abbott (1):
vmlinux.lds.h: restructure BSS linker script macros

Tobias Klauser (1):
skbuff.h: Fix comment for NET_IP_ALIGN

Trond Myklebust (3):
NFSv4: Fix an Oops in nfs4_free_lock_state
NFSv4: Fix an NFSv4 mount regression
NFSv4: Fix a problem whereby a buggy server can oops the kernel

Uwe Kleine-Kï¿œnig (2):
serial: don't add msm_serial's probe function to the driver struct
macsonic: move probe function to .devinit.text

Vince Weaver (1):
perf_counter: Add P6 PMU support

Vincent CUISSARD (1):
cdc-eem: bad crc checking

Wan ZongShun (1):
Add mac driver for w90p910

Wolfgang Grandegger (3):
can: sja1000: remove duplicated includes
can: restart device even if dev_alloc_skb() fails
can: switch carrier on if device was stopped while in bus-off state

Wolfram Sang (1):
sched: Documentation/sched-rt-group: Fix style issues & bump version

Xiao Guangrong (1):
tracing/function: Fix the return value of ftrace_trace_onoff_callback()

Xiaotian Feng (1):
block: sysfs fix mismatched queue_var_{store,show} in 64bit kernel

Yevgeny Petrilin (2):
mlx4_core: Handle multi-physical function devices
mlx4_core: Add new ConnectX EN PCI ID 0x6764

Yinghai Lu (1):
x86/pci: insert ioapic resource before assigning unassigned resources

Zhaolei (1):
z2ram: Small cleanup for z2ram.c

fujita (1):
Add dma_debug_init() for ia64

maximilian attems (1):
kbuild, deb-pkg: fix install scripts for posix sh

roel kluin (3):
atlx: duplicate testing of MCAST flag
atl1c: add missing parentheses
atl1c: misplaced parenthesis

Frans Pop

Jul 23, 2009, 10:20:08 AM7/23/09
I'm seeing the following change in dmesg between -rc3 and -rc4:
-system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff has been reserved
+system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff could not be reserved

There is nothing in the earlier part of dmesg that would explain this
change.

The change is also visible in /proc/iomem:
fec00000-fec00fff : IOAPIC 0
fec00000-fec00fff : reserved
- fec00000-fec000ff : pnp 00:0c

I somewhat suspect 857fdc53a0a90c3ba7fcf5b1fb4c7a62ae03cf82:

x86/pci: insert ioapic resource before assigning unassigned resources

System is HP 2510p notebook (x86_64).

Cheers,
FJP

dmesg_31-rc4

Yinghai Lu

Jul 23, 2009, 10:50:13 AM7/23/09

should be ok. we don't need that
fec00000-fec000ff : pnp 00:0c

YH

Frans Pop

Jul 23, 2009, 11:00:09 AM7/23/09

Reverting that commit did indeed restore the old situation.

Jesse Barnes

Jul 23, 2009, 12:00:16 PM7/23/09
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:42:28 -0700
Yinghai Lu <yhlu....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Frans Pop<ele...@planet.nl> wrote:
> > I'm seeing the following change in dmesg between -rc3 and -rc4:
> > -system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff has been reserved
> > +system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff could not be
> > reserved
> >
> > There is nothing in the earlier part of dmesg that would explain
> > this change.
> >
> > The change is also visible in /proc/iomem:
> >  fec00000-fec00fff : IOAPIC 0
> >   fec00000-fec00fff : reserved
> > -    fec00000-fec000ff : pnp 00:0c
> >
> > I somewhat suspect 857fdc53a0a90c3ba7fcf5b1fb4c7a62ae03cf82:
> >    x86/pci: insert ioapic resource before assigning unassigned
> > resources
> >
> > System is HP 2510p notebook (x86_64).
>
> should be ok. we don't need that
> fec00000-fec000ff : pnp 00:0c

So the PNP ranges are duplicating the IOAPIC range? Seems harmless
enough...

Linus Torvalds

Jul 23, 2009, 12:20:09 PM7/23/09

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Thursday 23 July 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > I'm seeing the following change in dmesg between -rc3 and -rc4:
> > -system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff has been reserved
> > +system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff could not be reserved
> >
> > There is nothing in the earlier part of dmesg that would explain this
> > change.
> >
> > The change is also visible in /proc/iomem:
> > fec00000-fec00fff : IOAPIC 0
> > fec00000-fec00fff : reserved
> > - fec00000-fec000ff : pnp 00:0c
> >
> > I somewhat suspect 857fdc53a0a90c3ba7fcf5b1fb4c7a62ae03cf82:
> > x86/pci: insert ioapic resource before assigning unassigned resources
>
> Reverting that commit did indeed restore the old situation.

Don't worry about the new warning.

It is in fact _normal_ to see a number of warnings about PnP resources
"could not be reserved", because there are a number of sources of
resources that we trust more than the PnP stuff, so we make the IO
reservations based on those other sources of information. And then the PnP
layer comes along, and can't reserve things any more because they are
already reserved.

So the only thing that changed is that now we moved the APIC reservation
earlier, exactly because we trust our knowledge of the hardware "more"
than some other things.

You can google for "could not be reserved" (quotes needed to make it get
anything relevant, of course), and you'll see a lot of dmesg's. The
warning is interesting in the sense that _if_ there are any PCI resource
issues, it hints about the fact that we got resource information from
different places and they overlapped, so I wouldn't want to remove it.

So think of it this way: the difference between "has been reserved" and
"could not be reserved" is _not_ a "good" vs "bad" situation. They are
both purely informational. They're not good-or-bad, they are information
we leave around in case bad things happen later.

Linus

Linus Torvalds

Jul 23, 2009, 12:40:14 PM7/23/09

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Don't worry about the new warning.
>
> It is in fact _normal_ to see a number of warnings about PnP resources
> "could not be reserved"

In fact, I notice that you had them even before, eg:

system 00:00: iomem range 0x0-0x9ffff could not be reserved
system 00:00: iomem range 0xe0000-0xfffff could not be reserved
system 00:00: iomem range 0x100000-0x7e7fffff could not be reserved

which are about exactly the same thing - e820 RAM reservations take
precedence over the PnP ones.

So the only new thing is that we claim the APIC thing to that category
too.

Krzysztof Olędzki

Jul 23, 2009, 1:30:12 PM7/23/09
On 2009-07-23 04:44, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, that was a fun week.
>
> We had a binutils bug, a ccache bug, and a compiler bug. And that was just
> the bugs that were outside the kernel, but resulted in a broken build.
>
> But while that was unusual, the rest of the stuff is pretty regular. Lots
> of small fixes all around. The patch is dominated by a couple of new
> network drivers, but apart from those, it's generally pretty small - lots
> of one-liners and "few-liners".
>
> The shortlog gives a reasonable idea about what's happened.
>
> Linus
>
> ---
<CUT>
> Linus Torvalds (3):

> fbmon: work around compiler bug in gcc-2.4.2

Off by +2.-2.+2 error. ;)

Best regards,

Krzysztof Ol�dzki

David John

Jul 24, 2009, 1:10:07 AM7/24/09
On 07/23/2009 09:59 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Don't worry about the new warning.
>>
>> It is in fact _normal_ to see a number of warnings about PnP resources
>> "could not be reserved"
>
> In fact, I notice that you had them even before, eg:
>
> system 00:00: iomem range 0x0-0x9ffff could not be reserved
> system 00:00: iomem range 0xe0000-0xfffff could not be reserved
> system 00:00: iomem range 0x100000-0x7e7fffff could not be reserved
>
> which are about exactly the same thing - e820 RAM reservations take
> precedence over the PnP ones.
>
> So the only new thing is that we claim the APIC thing to that category
> too.

If the kernel knows that those ranges have already been reserved, can't
the PnP messages be suppressed? I used to think these were errors as
well (because of some BIOS misbehaviour) until I checked the code...

Frans Pop

Jul 24, 2009, 2:00:14 AM7/24/09
On Thursday 23 July 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 July 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > I'm seeing the following change in dmesg between -rc3 and -rc4:
> > > -system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff has been reserved
> > > +system 00:0c: iomem range 0xfec00000-0xfec000ff could not be reserved
> > >
> > > There is nothing in the earlier part of dmesg that would explain
> > > this change.
> >
> > Reverting that commit did indeed restore the old situation.
>
> So think of it this way: the difference between "has been reserved" and
> "could not be reserved" is _not_ a "good" vs "bad" situation. They are
> both purely informational. They're not good-or-bad, they are
> information we leave around in case bad things happen later.

Yeah, I suspected that might be the case (which is why I used "restores old
situation" rather than "fixes regression" :-). My message was triggered by
the fact that it's still a somewhat unusual change, so I was mainly looking
for confirmation that it was intended.

Still, failure messages can be confusing for users. The source code documents
that reservation failures are expected, but most users don't read source...

So, also looking at David John's message, would something like the patch
below be an option? The result is as follows on my system:

pnp: PnP ACPI init
ACPI: bus type pnp registered
pnp: PnP ACPI: found 14 devices
ACPI: ACPI bus type pnp unregistered

system 00:00: iomem range 0x0-0x9ffff could not be reserved

(The fact that a range could not be reserved is generally harmless.)

system 00:00: iomem range 0xe0000-0xfffff could not be reserved
system 00:00: iomem range 0x100000-0x7e7fffff could not be reserved

system 00:0a: ioport range 0x500-0x55f has been reserved

---
From: Frans Pop <ele...@planet.nl>
Subject: PNP: make explicit that range allocation failures are generally harmless

Signed-off-by: Frans Pop <ele...@planet.nl>

diff --git a/drivers/pnp/system.c b/drivers/pnp/system.c
index 59b9092..72de2a7 100644
--- a/drivers/pnp/system.c
+++ b/drivers/pnp/system.c
@@ -52,6 +52,10 @@ static void reserve_range(struct pnp_dev *dev, resource_size_t
start,
port ? "ioport" : "iomem",
(unsigned long long) start, (unsigned long long) end,
res ? "has been" : "could not be");
+ if (!res)
+ printk_once(KERN_INFO
+ "(The fact that a range could not be reserved "
+ "is generally harmless.)\n");
}

static void reserve_resources_of_dev(struct pnp_dev *dev)

David John

Jul 24, 2009, 2:00:16 AM7/24/09
---

From 645da858c547a6badd231e66003f58f32eb985a2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: David John <davi...@xenontk.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:36:15 +0530
Subject: [PATCH] Remove Spurious PnP Memory Reserved Warning

Remove unnecessary complaints about memory ranges being reserved by the
PnP sub-system.

Signed-off-by: David John <davi...@xenontk.org>

diff --git a/drivers/pnp/system.c b/drivers/pnp/system.c
index 59b9092..feda64e 100644
--- a/drivers/pnp/system.c
+++ b/drivers/pnp/system.c
@@ -48,10 +48,6 @@ static void reserve_range(struct pnp_dev *dev, resource_size_t start,
* example do reserve stuff they know about too, so we may well
* have double reservations.
*/
- dev_info(&dev->dev, "%s range 0x%llx-0x%llx %s reserved\n",
- port ? "ioport" : "iomem",
- (unsigned long long) start, (unsigned long long) end,
- res ? "has been" : "could not be");

}

static void reserve_resources_of_dev(struct pnp_dev *dev)

David John

Jul 24, 2009, 2:20:09 AM7/24/09
From 645da858c547a6badd231e66003f58f32eb985a2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: David John <davi...@xenontk.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:36:15 +0530

I'd rather you just remove it. Kind of like the following.
Apply if you feel it is ok to _not_ print these messages...
(Sorry for the previous mangled one...)

Remove unnecessary complaints about memory ranges being reserved by the
PnP sub-system.

Signed-off-by: David John <davi...@xenontk.org>

diff --git a/drivers/pnp/system.c b/drivers/pnp/system.c
index 59b9092..feda64e 100644
--- a/drivers/pnp/system.c
+++ b/drivers/pnp/system.c

@@ -48,10 +48,6 @@ static void reserve_range(struct pnp_dev *dev, resource_size_t start,
* example do reserve stuff they know about too, so we may well
* have double reservations.
*/
- dev_info(&dev->dev, "%s range 0x%llx-0x%llx %s reserved\n",

- port ? "ioport" : "iomem",
- (unsigned long long) start, (unsigned long long) end,
- res ? "has been" : "could not be");

David John

Jul 25, 2009, 3:20:06 AM7/25/09
An alternate version that ignores just the errors.

Remove unnecessary complaints by the PnP sub-system about memory
ranges being reserved.

Signed-off-by: David John <davi...@xenontk.org>

diff --git a/drivers/pnp/system.c b/drivers/pnp/system.c
index 59b9092..84ee297 100644
--- a/drivers/pnp/system.c
+++ b/drivers/pnp/system.c
@@ -48,10 +48,11 @@ static void reserve_range(struct pnp_dev *dev, resource_size_t start,

* example do reserve stuff they know about too, so we may well
* have double reservations.
*/
- dev_info(&dev->dev, "%s range 0x%llx-0x%llx %s reserved\n",
- port ? "ioport" : "iomem",
- (unsigned long long) start, (unsigned long long) end,
- res ? "has been" : "could not be");

+ if(res) {
+ dev_info(&dev->dev, "%s range 0x%llx-0x%llx has been reserved\n",
+ port ? "ioport" : "iomem",
+ (unsigned long long) start, (unsigned long long) end);
+ }

David John

Jesse Barnes

Jul 28, 2009, 12:40:12 PM7/28/09

I'm inclined to keep the message, since it's just a dev_info and does
provide interesting info sometimes. So unless Linus wants to kill
it...

Jesse

David John

Jul 29, 2009, 2:50:06 AM7/29/09

This patch doesn't remove the message, it just removes the 'could not reserve' messages,
which would be useful if they are actual errors, but they are not. It's pretty silly if
the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing... However in the interest of keeping
the code as is, I guess the patch isn't all that important.

Regards,
David.

Frans Pop

Aug 1, 2009, 7:00:12 AM8/1/09
On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> I'm inclined to keep the message, since it's just a dev_info and does
> provide interesting info sometimes. So unless Linus wants to kill
> it...

Jesse, what do you think of the less invasive patch I suggested in
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/16?

Cheers,
FJP

Jesse Barnes

Aug 6, 2009, 5:50:09 PM8/6/09
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:56:10 +0200
Frans Pop <ele...@planet.nl> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > I'm inclined to keep the message, since it's just a dev_info and
> > does provide interesting info sometimes. So unless Linus wants to
> > kill it...
>
> Jesse, what do you think of the less invasive patch I suggested in
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/16?

I like it a bit better since it preserves the info in the case where a
resource was already reserved, so I'm fine if it goes upstream. We're
just talking about debug info here so most users shouldn't notice
either unless there's a real problem.