mourning the loss of David Brownell

Greg KH

Apr 5, 2011, 3:40:01 AM4/5/11
As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.

Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
recently and he will be greatly missed.

sadly,

greg k -h

Wanlong Gao

Apr 5, 2011, 4:10:02 AM4/5/11
Sadly

Harry Wei

Apr 5, 2011, 5:00:02 AM4/5/11
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 08:48:19PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
> publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
>
> Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> recently and he will be greatly missed.
Sadly :(

Gene Heskett

Apr 5, 2011, 12:30:01 PM4/5/11
On Monday, April 04, 2011, Greg KH wrote:
>As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
>publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
>
>Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
>recently and he will be greatly missed.
>
>sadly,
>
>greg k -h

Thank you for the heads up Greg.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Wolfram Sang

Apr 5, 2011, 12:40:01 PM4/5/11

> Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> recently and he will be greatly missed.

Yes, he will be missed. It was a pleasure working with him. Condolences to all
who loved him.

Farewell,

Wolfram

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Wolfram Sang |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |

signature.asc

Alan Stern

Apr 5, 2011, 2:20:01 PM4/5/11
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Greg KH wrote:

> As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
> publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
>
> Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> recently and he will be greatly missed.

David made contributions to a large number of areas in the Linux
kernel. Even a quick look through MAINTAINERS will show that he worked
on USB controllers (OHCI, EHCI, OMAP and others), USB gadgets, USB
networking, and SPI. He was influential in the core USB design (the
HCD "glue" layer and the scatter-gather library) and the development of
Power Management (system sleep and the USB PM implementation). His
designs were elegant and his code was always a pleasure to read.

He also was a big help to me personally, assisting in my initial entry
to USB core development. And he was the first person I met at the
first Linux conference I attended. I too will miss him.

Alan Stern

PS: A photo of David taken at the 2008 Linux Kernel Summit is available
here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2949819475_98cbfc48b7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/13825348%40N03/sets/72157608741347102/detail/&usg=__HjzUpixk_ITqzSnIhvUuWqdjQ_c=&h=500&w=333&sz=70&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=pixlWzZ4wUo1RM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=114&ei=w1mbTdXsCoO6sAOHp-j9Aw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddavid%2Bbrownell%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D712%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divnso0%2C89&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=258&vpy=263&dur=7360&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=85&ty=295&oei=w1mbTdXsCoO6sAOHp-j9Aw&page=1&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0&biw=1024&bih=712

Bill Gatliff

Apr 5, 2011, 2:20:02 PM4/5/11
Guys:

David Brownell unknowingly inspired me to get involved in Linux as a
profession. I saw him as an individual working successfully on Free
and Open Software, and have made an effort to emulate his success for
over a decade now.

I deeply regret never taking the time to meet and thank him in person.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Grant Likely

Apr 5, 2011, 3:10:02 PM4/5/11
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Greg KH <gr...@kroah.com> wrote:
> As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
> publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
>
> Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> recently and he will be greatly missed.
>
> sadly,
>
> greg k -h

Thank you Greg.

It was a pleasure to work with David, and it broke my heart to hear
that he had passed away. My prayers and thoughts go out to his
family.

g.

Felipe Balbi

Apr 5, 2011, 3:10:03 PM4/5/11

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 02:10:53PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
> > publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
> >
> > Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> > recently and he will be greatly missed.
>
> David made contributions to a large number of areas in the Linux
> kernel. Even a quick look through MAINTAINERS will show that he worked
> on USB controllers (OHCI, EHCI, OMAP and others), USB gadgets, USB
> networking, and SPI. He was influential in the core USB design (the
> HCD "glue" layer and the scatter-gather library) and the development of
> Power Management (system sleep and the USB PM implementation). His
> designs were elegant and his code was always a pleasure to read.
>
> He also was a big help to me personally, assisting in my initial entry
> to USB core development. And he was the first person I met at the
> first Linux conference I attended. I too will miss him.

I guess many of us have similar experience with Dave. He also helped me
a lot when I first started doing Linux development. I learned a lot from
him and will miss him a lot. His teachings, I will always carry with me.

Thanks Dave for all your help. Rest in Peace, my friend.

--
balbi

Bill Gatliff

Apr 5, 2011, 4:00:01 PM4/5/11
Will the family be having a memorial service?

--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Sarah Sharp

Apr 5, 2011, 8:30:02 PM4/5/11

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:17:20AM -0700, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Guys:
>

> David Brownell unknowingly inspired me to get involved in Linux as a
> profession. I saw him as an individual working successfully on Free
> and Open Software, and have made an effort to emulate his success for
> over a decade now.
>
> I deeply regret never taking the time to meet and thank him in person.

A reminder that we all are mortal. Since David I can't thank David
either, I'd like to take a moment to thank Greg, Alan, and Oliver.
David, Greg, Alan, and Oliver were really great at putting up with my
newbie questions when I was first working on usbfs2, and I really
appreciate all the help, support, and feedback they've given me over the
years. Thank you!

Sarah Sharp

15Hz

Apr 5, 2011, 10:00:01 PM4/5/11

Jidong Xiao

Apr 5, 2011, 11:40:02 PM4/5/11
Me too. David and the other developers you mentioned here helped me a
lot. So sad, he is so young.

Regards
Jidong

Tony Lindgren

Apr 6, 2011, 1:20:03 PM4/6/11
* Jidong Xiao <jidon...@gmail.com> [110405 20:33]:

> Me too. David and the other developers you mentioned here helped me a
> lot. So sad, he is so young.

Dave certainly contributed a lot and helped many people.
He also helped a lot with omap development.

Regards,

Tony

Kevin Hilman

Apr 8, 2011, 5:30:02 PM4/8/11
Greg KH <gr...@kroah.com> writes:

> As I have seen this tangentally mentioned already a few times
> publically, I figured it warranted it's own announcement now.
>
> Linux has lost a great developer with the passing of David Brownell
> recently and he will be greatly missed.

For those that wish to share condolences, thoughts, prayers,
remembrances etc. with his family, an email alias has been setup at
dbrownell-...@kernel.org.

All messages will be collected and then forwarded on to his family.

Kevin