[gentoo-user] Gentoo "Install CD" 2008.Feb.08. minimal i686

1 view

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 8, 2008, 3:30:24 PM2/8/08
Ladies and Gentleman,

Finally I succeed to build a minimal install CD using catalyst.
Unfortunately some bugs of the genkernel package caused some white hair
for me, but the trunk version seems working :)
(Thank you developers and bug reporters for the patches.)

Before somebody starts a new email-war, I want to tell you, I know, this
kind of "nearly-official" live install CD is not really necessary to
install a new gentoo system.

Just read back some emails in the last few weeks.

Anyway, now I am uploading to my server (slow uplink, sorry :)

Details of my "release":
- i686 (mtune)
3 packages:
- the minimal install CD (~55MB)
- portage snapshot 08/02/2008 (~30MB)
- stage3 (probably 110MB, I start to build now)

Anyway, the genkernel ebuild in the portage tree has bad digest, because
I made a new for the trunk version. Simply make an emerge --sync to be
sure about the valid packages.

These will be available in my website (I need some hours):
http://www.osbusiness.hu/?lang=en&page_name=gentoolinux

Please, do not kill my server with overload :)
If somebody has a mirror, drop me a private mail.

If you find a bug or you have feature request or you simply want to
donate my work :) drop me a PM.

Cheers,
István

--
BSA. Mert megérdemlitek.
Open Source. Mert megérdemlem.

Erik

Feb 8, 2008, 3:40:16 PM2/8/08
Pongracz Istvan skrev:

> Before somebody starts a new email-war, I want to tell you, I know, this
> kind of "nearly-official" live install CD is not really necessary to
> install a new gentoo system.
It is necessary for us using less common keyboard layouts. The official
Gentoo CD I used to install over 3 years ago included support for
Swedish keyboard layout. Knoppix left that out to have space for some
cruft, so Knoppix is really just for users with the more common layouts
(English, German, Russian and a few more). I do not think that this
problem was mentioned in the recent email-war.

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 8, 2008, 3:50:12 PM2/8/08

Hi, thank you for your mail, this is great!
Here are 42 layouts.

Anyway, I had problems to compile some packages (rtppoe or similar and
some others). I left them out.
Sorry about that.

Hal Martin

Feb 8, 2008, 4:10:15 PM2/8/08
Any chance there will be an x86_64 CD?

-Hal

Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> 2008. 02. 8, péntek keltezéssel 21.35-kor Erik ezt írta:
>
>> Pongracz Istvan skrev:
>>
>>> Before somebody starts a new email-war, I want to tell you, I know, this
>>> kind of "nearly-official" live install CD is not really necessary to
>>> install a new gentoo system.
>>>
>> It is necessary for us using less common keyboard layouts. The official
>> Gentoo CD I used to install over 3 years ago included support for
>> Swedish keyboard layout. Knoppix left that out to have space for some
>> cruft, so Knoppix is really just for users with the more common layouts
>> (English, German, Russian and a few more). I do not think that this
>> problem was mentioned in the recent email-war.
>>

> Hi, thank you for your mail, this is great!
> Here are 42 layouts.
>
> Anyway, I had problems to compile some packages (rtppoe or similar and
> some others). I left them out.
> Sorry about that.
>
> István

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 8, 2008, 4:30:22 PM2/8/08

2008. 02. 8, péntek keltezéssel 16.09-kor Hal Martin ezt írta:
> Any chance there will be an x86_64 CD?
>
> -Hal

Sorry, I have only 32 bit systems.
My capacity is not enough to do this (except if I start using qemu to do
this).
I have no idea (yet), how to cross-compile a complete stage.
Maybe later (months, years, I do not know).

The livecd + its digest + portage snapshot is ready to download.
The stage3 is still under construction (22 packages left + upload time -
probably tomorrow morning).

Cheers,

Iain Buchanan

Feb 9, 2008, 7:20:07 AM2/9/08

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 21:22 +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> Ladies and Gentleman,
[snip]

> Please, do not kill my server with overload :)
> If somebody has a mirror, drop me a private mail.

how about a torrent? Then everyone's a mirror ;)

Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth.
-- Picasso

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 9, 2008, 1:30:08 PM2/9/08
2008. 02. 9, szombat keltezéssel 22.01-kor Iain Buchanan ezt írta:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 21:22 +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> > Ladies and Gentleman,
> [snip]
> > Please, do not kill my server with overload :)
> > If somebody has a mirror, drop me a private mail.
>
> how about a torrent? Then everyone's a mirror ;)

Thank you, yes, this is the next plan :) With few seeder it will be a
good distribution basis.

I will make it later.

IStván

Iain Buchanan

Feb 10, 2008, 6:20:15 PM2/10/08

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:21 +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> 2008. 02. 9, szombat keltezéssel 22.01-kor Iain Buchanan ezt írta:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 21:22 +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> > > Ladies and Gentleman,
> > [snip]
> > > Please, do not kill my server with overload :)
> > > If somebody has a mirror, drop me a private mail.
> >
> > how about a torrent? Then everyone's a mirror ;)
>

> Thank you, yes, this is the next plan :) With few seeder it will be a
> good distribution basis.
>
> I will make it later.

let me know when, and I'll seed it for you :) I only have 256k up but
it's a start!

You know you're using the computer too much when:
you move everything into 19" and flight cases
-- kahler

Hal Martin

Feb 10, 2008, 10:20:13 PM2/10/08
Can I have a copy of the torrent? I have ~3Mbit up.

-Hal

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:21 +0100, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
>
>> 2008. 02. 9, szombat keltezéssel 22.01-kor Iain Buchanan ezt írta:

>>> [snip]

>>> how about a torrent? Then everyone's a mirror ;)
>>>

>> Thank you, yes, this is the next plan :) With few seeder it will be a
>> good distribution basis.
>>
>> I will make it later.
>>

> let me know when, and I'll seed it for you :) I only have 256k up but
> it's a start!

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 11, 2008, 2:30:20 AM2/11/08

Sure, thank you for you both (Iain and Hal).
I prepare a torrent file and I will send it to you.
I plan to bundle the livecd + portage snapshot + stage3.
Any pro/contra?

First, I have to learn using a tracker :)

István

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 11, 2008, 7:10:25 AM2/11/08

Torrent file available here:
http://www.torrentbox.com/torrent_details?id=174031
http://isohunt.com/release/116718/gentoo?poster=&cat=-1

They are the same, but isohunt is only a search engine, while the
torrentbox is the tracker.

Please help to seed if you can.

Thank you,

István

Magyarszkiul: van torrent, ha tudsz, segíts a seed-ben, köszönöm!

Pongracz Istvan

Feb 20, 2008, 2:50:14 AM2/20/08
Dear All,

I would like to ask those people, who uploaded the torrent file to
different trackers, please modify the description by this additional
note:

Please note: this is NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE from gentoo.org!
Do not send bugreports to the gentoo.org, but visit the site wrote below
and use the Forum (http://www.osbusiness.hu) to inform the author.

Thank you!

István