[gentoo-user] Default sound card for output...

Benjamen R. Meyer

Feb 6, 2008, 10:10:13 AM2/6/08
My system has two sound-cards - one on the motherboard (snd_intel8x0)
and an one via PCI (SB Audigy/snd_emu10k1). I don't mind having the
driver compiled for the snd_intel8x0 card, but I want the Audigy as my
default card chosen for playback.

Some applications (e.g. Rosegarden) let me select the card. Others (e.g.
embedded flash) do not.

I'm running KDE 3.5.8, but can't see something that will let me set the
default card beyond choosing ALSA.

Is there any way that I can set the Audigy to be the default card?

Both drivers are loaded by udev - so I guess there's something I could
do there to control order...but I'm not that familiar with writing udev
rules.

I've figured out how to identify them somewhat using udev rules;
however, the Audigy is not unique enough across the types of devices
(e.g. audio, admmidi, amidi, etc.)...

So what's the easiest way to set the Audigy as my default sound card? If
I have to use uDev, then what's the easiest way to identify and order
the devices and be able to capture all their sub-devices as well?

TIA,

Ben

Marc Joliet

Feb 6, 2008, 11:20:21 AM2/6/08
Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:03:01 -0500
schrieb "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_wi...@yahoo.com>:

> My system has two sound-cards - one on the motherboard (snd_intel8x0)
> and an one via PCI (SB Audigy/snd_emu10k1). I don't mind having the
> driver compiled for the snd_intel8x0 card, but I want the Audigy as my
> default card chosen for playback.

[SNIP]

> So what's the easiest way to set the Audigy as my default sound card?
> If I have to use uDev, then what's the easiest way to identify and
> order the devices and be able to capture all their sub-devices as
> well?

Hi,

there's a HOWTO for this on the Gentoo wiki site (gentoo-wiki.com). I'd
link to it, but I can't reach the site right now as it won't load.
There's also some info and an example (albeit for Debian) on the ALSA
project wiki:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards#Multiple_Sound_Cards_--_Example_on_Debian_GNU.2FLinux

So basically, you have to edit /etc/modules.d/alsa to your needs. Here's
mine as an example for an nvidia onboard sound device and a Terratec
Phase 22 PCI card:

# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##

## Card 1
# ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1724

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

options snd-ice1724 index=0

alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

## Card 2
# ALSA portion
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

# OSS/Free portion - card #2
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

options snd-hda-intel index=1

alias /dev/dsp1 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
# Not really needed.
options snd cards_limit=2

This tells alsa that I want the Phase 22 to be loaded first (default)
and the onboard chip to be second. The OSS sections do the same for the
emulated OSS devices (if you have OSS activated in ALSA).

Though I don't know what every entry does and even if I need them all,
it does the trick here just fine. Of course, if anybody sees anything
wrong (or superfluous) with my configuration, please, do tell!

After you're done editing that file, you have to
add /etc/init.d/alsasound to the boot runlevel like so:

marcec@marcec ~ $ sudo rc-update add alsasound boot

and then of course start it:

marcec@marcec ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound start

That *should* take care of it, though I of course recommend reading the
wikis first, in case I left something out or made any errors.

> TIA,
>
> Ben

HT

--
Marc Joliet
--

signature.asc

Benjamen R. Meyer

Feb 6, 2008, 3:20:14 PM2/6/08
Marc Joliet wrote:
> Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:03:01 -0500
> schrieb "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_wi...@yahoo.com>:
>
>> My system has two sound-cards - one on the motherboard (snd_intel8x0)
>> and an one via PCI (SB Audigy/snd_emu10k1). I don't mind having the
>> driver compiled for the snd_intel8x0 card, but I want the Audigy as my
>> default card chosen for playback.
>>
> [SNIP]
>> So what's the easiest way to set the Audigy as my default sound card?
>> If I have to use uDev, then what's the easiest way to identify and
>> order the devices and be able to capture all their sub-devices as
>> well?
>
> Hi,
>
> there's a HOWTO for this on the Gentoo wiki site (gentoo-wiki.com). I'd
> link to it, but I can't reach the site right now as it won't load.
> There's also some info and an example (albeit for Debian) on the ALSA
> project wiki:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards#Multiple_Sound_Cards_--_Example_on_Debian_GNU.2FLinux

Thanks that did the trick. I was unable to get to the Gentoo Wiki site
too, but Google's cache of the ALSA docums worked just fine:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:jt--8lMDQMsJ:gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix+gentoo+wiki+multiple+sound+cards&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Now it all works! :->

Thanks.