[gentoo-user] black console w/ 3.2.0-rc7

Stefan G. Weichinger

Dec 29, 2011, 10:40:02 AM12/29/11

Very likely a FAQ but I can't find it right now:

wanted to try linux 3.2.0-rc7 (by emerging git-sources) ... used my old
config and it built OK.

It also boots OK but very soon it gets simply black, no console, no xdm.

I am able to ssh into it, can't find anything obvious.
framebuffer stuff?

This is my thinkpad L520, with intel graphics.

Does someone has a pointer for me?

Thanks, Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Dec 29, 2011, 11:00:02 AM12/29/11
Am 29.12.2011 16:32, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Very likely a FAQ but I can't find it right now:
>
> wanted to try linux 3.2.0-rc7 (by emerging git-sources) ... used my old
> config and it built OK.
>
> It also boots OK but very soon it gets simply black, no console, no xdm.
>
> I am able to ssh into it, can't find anything obvious.
> framebuffer stuff?

kernel-parameter "nomodeset" brought me a console ... no X yet.
Digging further ...

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 5:20:01 AM1/5/12
Am 29.12.2011 16:48, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Digging further ...

same behavior with gentoo-sources-3.2.0

Will check now on desktop, nvidia there (and not intel graphics).

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 5:40:02 AM1/5/12
works fine there, so it seems related to intel graphics .. ?
"noacpi" and disabling that RC6-powersaving-stuff didn't help so far.

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 10:20:02 AM1/5/12
Did more googling etc.

The brightness is fully up, no display. xorg-logs look good.

Tried kernel-parameter "acpi_osi=Linux", no success.

And upping the brightness via "setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00" doesn't change
a thing.

Am I really the only gentoo-user hit by that issue?

Greets, Stefan

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 12:10:03 PM1/5/12
Reading between the lines across 2 threads, is this a built-in Intel
graphics adapter? If the answer is yes, then I have an i5-661 machine
which I haven's updated but am happy to do if my testing Intel
graphics here helps you.

Cheers,
Mark

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 12:50:02 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 18:04, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> Reading between the lines across 2 threads, is this a built-in Intel
> graphics adapter? If the answer is yes, then I have an i5-661 machine
> which I haven's updated but am happy to do if my testing Intel
> graphics here helps you.

Yep, as built-in as it can get in a laptop ;-)

It works OK with linux 3.1.7 ...

I would appreciate your tests, sure.

Greets, Stefan

-->

# lspci -v

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21dd
Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at 1800 [size=64]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: i915

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 1:00:03 PM1/5/12
OK, I'm building it now. I'll let you know in a little while.

In my case I usually don't move to the next minor rev kernel (3.1-3.2)
very quickly because every other machine I have uses the NVidia closed
source driver and I usually have to wait a few days before that shows
up in portage. In this case it's relatively easy.

More in 15 minutes or so, assuming no other major problems with this new kernel.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 1:10:02 PM1/5/12
OK, no obvious problems here. 3.2.0 is up as well as my KDE desktop.
There were no errors in the Xorg.0.log file:

firefly ~ # uname -a
Linux firefly 3.2.0-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 5 09:53:08 PST 2012
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 661 @ 3.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
firefly ~ #

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0037
Memory at fe000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at f100 [size=8]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

firefly ~ # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
[ 15.668] Current Operating System: Linux firefly 3.2.0-gentoo #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 5 09:53:08 PST 2012 x86_64
[ 15.949] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
firefly ~ #

If you want my kernel config or xorg.conf file (or something else)
just let me know and I'll reply either on list or off.

Cheers,
Mark

Michael Mol

Jan 5, 2012, 1:30:02 PM1/5/12
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 05.01.2012 19:06, schrieb Mark Knecht:
>
>> OK, no obvious problems here. 3.2.0 is up as well as my KDE desktop.
>
> What a surprise ;-)
>
> It's my very own little problem, not yours ;-)
>
>> If you want my kernel config or xorg.conf file (or something else)
>> just let me know and I'll reply either on list or off.
>
> I don't have a xorg.conf anymore.
>
> .config would be nice to compare, yes.
> pls send it offlist (at this point noone else seems interested).

Hey, some of us are interested enough to read, but don't have anything
to contribute right now!

--
:wq

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 1:30:02 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 19:06, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> OK, no obvious problems here. 3.2.0 is up as well as my KDE desktop.

What a surprise ;-)

It's my very own little problem, not yours ;-)

> If you want my kernel config or xorg.conf file (or something else)
> just let me know and I'll reply either on list or off.

I don't have a xorg.conf anymore.

.config would be nice to compare, yes.
pls send it offlist (at this point noone else seems interested).

Thanks, Stefan!

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 1:40:02 PM1/5/12
I'll reply with the attachments off list but will continue on list
with anything more I end up doing.

I looked over at the NVidia site this morning but didn't find any new
drivers that supported 3.2 yet.

Cheers,
Mark

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 1:50:01 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 19:26, schrieb Michael Mol:

>> .config would be nice to compare, yes.
>> pls send it offlist (at this point noone else seems interested).
>
> Hey, some of us are interested enough to read, but don't have anything
> to contribute right now!

Oh, sorry, sure ;-)

right now I wonder about the new and rather undocumented config option
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE_SLEEP

It's there in 3.2 and not in 3.1.7 ... and if I manually set it to N and
run "make oldconfig" it flips to Y again.

Maybe unrelated, I am just digging.

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 1:50:02 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 19:31, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> I'll reply with the attachments off list but will continue on list
> with anything more I end up doing.
>
> I looked over at the NVidia site this morning but didn't find any new
> drivers that supported 3.2 yet.

I am running my main rig w/ x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-290.10 and kernel
3.2 without any problem (writing this mail on it now).

But the thinkpad has the intel-graphics, you know ...

Additional thought regarding xorg.conf: I don't see the plain console
either, and if I ssh into the box and stop xdm there is nothing to see
as well.

So it has to be unrelated to X11, I assume.

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 2:20:02 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 19:39, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 05.01.2012 19:26, schrieb Michael Mol:
>
>>> .config would be nice to compare, yes.
>>> pls send it offlist (at this point noone else seems interested).
>>
>> Hey, some of us are interested enough to read, but don't have anything
>> to contribute right now!
>
> Oh, sorry, sure ;-)
>
> right now I wonder about the new and rather undocumented config option
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE_SLEEP

Mark doesn't have it, removed it as well, shows up in the compiled
kernel again. And doesn't change the behavior.

sigh

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 2:40:01 PM1/5/12
In a few hours when I get some time after the market has closed I'll
try to investigate that option myself.

- Mark

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 3:00:03 PM1/5/12
Am 05.01.2012 20:30, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> In a few hours when I get some time after the market has closed I'll
> try to investigate that option myself.

Thank you.

Did you generate your .config by

zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make oldconfig

(running on previous kernel)

or just copy it over, or ....

?

Mick

Jan 5, 2012, 3:10:02 PM1/5/12
Not sure if related but don't forget that 3.1.6 broke suspend to RAM/hibernate
for some of us.
--
Regards,
Mick

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 3:30:02 PM1/5/12
Hmm, I don't get it ... tried to configure stuff as modules, added
parameters etc.

grub-line:

title=Gentoo Linux (3.2.0-gentoo)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0-gentoo rootfstype=ext4
init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3 elevator=noop udev
dolvm pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 acpi_osi=Linux
i915.semaphores=1
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0-gentoo

Tried with removed i915-parameters as well.

My .config :

http://nopaste.info/414d6696af.html

dmesg:

http://nopaste.info/9c6c186e76.html

(dunno if nopaste.info is recommended these days, I use these services
very rarely ...)

X11 is disabled for now as I see the problem with i915/DRM/KMS ...

-

I will take a break now, and it's getting late here.

Looking fwd to any hints on this, thanks a lot, Stefan

Mark Knecht

Jan 5, 2012, 4:00:02 PM1/5/12
I hadn't considered grub.conf. Sorry. Here's mine.

Cheers,
Mark

firefly ~ # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title 3.2.0-gentoo MS=1
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-3.2.0-gentoo root=/dev/sda2 i915.modeset=1

title 3.1.0-gentoo-r1 MS=1
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-3.1.0-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sda2 i915.modeset=1

title 3.1.0-gentoo MS=1
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-3.1.0-gentoo root=/dev/sda2 i915.modeset=1

title Windows 7
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

firefly ~ #

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 5:20:02 PM1/5/12
Am 2012-01-05 21:57, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> I hadn't considered grub.conf. Sorry. Here's mine.

i915.modeset=1

didn't help ... with or without the other i915-options.

I also tried "make localmodconfig" to somehow maybe get rid of old cruft.

Maybe I just wait for some bug-reports elsewhere. Or I compile a kernel
with exactly your config for a test.

I don't know if I have any particular stupid or unnecessary options in
my .config ... could be as I take the .config with me for years now,
only adapting to new kernels bit by bit and never really starting over.

otoh it might be a bug and not my fault anyway.

:-)

Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 5, 2012, 6:30:02 PM1/5/12
Am 2012-01-05 21:00, schrieb Mick:

> Not sure if related but don't forget that 3.1.6 broke suspend to
> RAM/hibernate for some of us.

yeah, thanks. Never had these issues, and I was/am on 3.1.7 already
before.

Stefan

Blakawk

Jan 6, 2012, 7:30:02 AM1/6/12
Hello, can you provide your kernel dmesg / Xorg.0.log to me too offlist
please ? I'm right in the middle of problem involving graphic drivers
(but radeon), so I may be able to provide some help here.

Regards.

--
YaGB: http://gentooist.com
Follow me on twitter.com @blakawk ;)

Johannes Kimmel

Jan 6, 2012, 3:00:01 PM1/6/12
I had a similar problem. I had selected the intel hardware iommu as
default. This caused my X to completely stay black. Systemlog showed
something about dma and drna (if i remember correctly).

try to disable intel hardware iommu, if you have it selected.

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 7, 2012, 1:10:01 PM1/7/12
Am 2012-01-06 20:53, schrieb Johannes Kimmel:

> try to disable intel hardware iommu, if you have it selected.

Unfortunately no:

# grep -i iomm .config
# CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
# CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU is not set
# CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set

Thanks for your suggestion, Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 10, 2012, 5:30:03 PM1/10/12
Am 2012-01-05 23:15, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> otoh it might be a bug and not my fault anyway.

still no clue what this is all about ... *sigh* and I can't find any
bug-reports on this.

Gotta file one myself and maybe make myself a fool because of some small
issue ... ;-)

Mark Knecht

Jan 10, 2012, 6:10:03 PM1/10/12
It's not about making yourself a fool at all. You've done all the
basic stuff and then a lot more and it's still not working.

My suggestion would be to try the IntelGfx list. They helped me quite
a lot when I first brought up the machine I tested for you.

Good luck,
Mark

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 11, 2012, 1:30:01 AM1/11/12
Am 10.01.2012 23:57, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> It's not about making yourself a fool at all. You've done all the
> basic stuff and then a lot more and it's still not working.
>
> My suggestion would be to try the IntelGfx list. They helped me quite
> a lot when I first brought up the machine I tested for you.

the next list to subscribe to, sigh ... sometimes I think I am on a list
for nearly every piece of software I use .... ;)

Will try maybe as soon as get motivated again for this issue.

Thanks, Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 12, 2012, 2:20:02 PM1/12/12
Am 10.01.2012 23:57, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> My suggestion would be to try the IntelGfx list. They helped me quite
> a lot when I first brought up the machine I tested for you.

I subscribed and it didn't even take a day and another thinkpad-user
reports exactly the same symptoms!

Thanks, Mark ...

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 12, 2012, 6:00:01 PM1/12/12
Working patch was produced there already ... yes!

Filed a bug on bugs.gentoo.org to point the devs there ...
the patch didn't apply easily to our libdrm-ebuild, seems to be a
different branch of software or so.

We'll see.
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 12, 2012, 6:10:01 PM1/12/12
errmmm .... it's against the kernel .... sigh

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 13, 2012, 9:20:02 AM1/13/12

The patch helped and now I am running 3.2.0-r1 successfully.

With the changed stuff around the Intel RC6 technology, is my grub-entry
still OK (and somehow just redundant) or should I change/remove options
(regarding i915)? :

title=Gentoo Linux (3.2.0-gentoo-r1)
root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0-gentoo-r1 rootfstype=ext4
init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3 elevator=noop udev
dolvm pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 acpi_osi=Linux
i915.semaphores=1 i915.modeset=1

initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.2.0-gentoo-r1

Thanks, greets, Stefan

Blakawk

Jan 13, 2012, 9:50:03 AM1/13/12
If I were you, as you changed for a major kernel version, i would
remove all parameters that fixed some problems with previous release and
try to see if the bugs are still present.
After that, i'll reenable each parameter one by one.

Cheers.

> Thanks, greets, Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jan 13, 2012, 11:00:03 AM1/13/12
Am 2012-01-13 15:47, schrieb Blakawk:
> If I were you, as you changed for a major kernel version, i would remove
> all parameters that fixed some problems with previous release and try to
> see if the bugs are still present.
> After that, i'll reenable each parameter one by one.

will give it a try, thanks.

I wondered about semaphores y or no ... (defaults changed etc) ...