[gentoo-user] apache can't start after updating expat to 2.0.1

Shaochun Wang

Aug 15, 2007, 4:30:07 AM8/15/07

After updating to expat-2.0.1, apache2 couldn't be started.
It says that /usr/sbin/apache2 can't find shared library libexpat.so.0.
I did some searching on the internet and found that I need do the
following:
revdep-rebuild -X --library=libexpat.so.0

Unfortunately, doing this doesn't get apache2 running again and the same
problem still exits.

Observing the output of the above command, I notice
/usr/lib64/libaprutil-0.so.0.9.12 is broken. This file belongs to
apr-util. By executing 'eix apr-util', I find that there are two
versions of apr-util installed in my computer.

After re-emergeing the apr-util-0.9.12-r1, apache2 started normally.

So I think that the problem is accually caused by the "-X" option of
revdep-rebuild command, which emerges the best (currrently is the latest
stable) packages available. In this apr-util case, it will emerge
apr-util-1.2.8.

So for slotted packages, don't use "-X" option for revdep-rebuild
command. Hoping in the future, revdep-rebuild could handles such
situation correctly.

I wish my experience be useful to you.

--
Shaochun Wang <scw...@ios.ac.cn>

Jabber: fun...@jabber.org

Michael Higgins

Aug 16, 2007, 3:50:08 PM8/16/07

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That was a nasty one, glad you sleuthed it out.

Cheers,

--
Michael Higgins <list...@banfieldgroup.com>