[gentoo-dev] Moving packages -- breaking the tree or stop updating mirrors?

1 view

Torsten Veller

Nov 16, 2008, 5:50:08 AM11/16/08
It is time to finish the move of some new dual-lifed perl modules
from dev-perl to perl-core (plus virtual/). It involves updating of
120 packages all over the tree but mostly in dev-perl.

As this takes some time the tree will be inconsistent until it is
finished. I don't know how long it'll take.

So the question is:
Can we stop updating the rsync mirrors during that time easily?
Or even better: Can *I* stop it?

As there were problems while moving packages before, I remember we
were talking about a way to stop updating rsync mirrors from cvs.
I guess nothing was implemented?

Thanks.

Alec Warner

Nov 16, 2008, 5:10:11 PM11/16/08
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Torsten Veller <to...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> It is time to finish the move of some new dual-lifed perl modules
> from dev-perl to perl-core (plus virtual/). It involves updating of
> 120 packages all over the tree but mostly in dev-perl.
>
> As this takes some time the tree will be inconsistent until it is
> finished. I don't know how long it'll take.
>
> So the question is:
> Can we stop updating the rsync mirrors during that time easily?

I'm sure if you make a proposal to infra on a time window[1] they can
possibly assist you.

> Or even better: Can *I* stop it?

not at this time, no.

> As there were problems while moving packages before, I remember we
> were talking about a way to stop updating rsync mirrors from cvs.
> I guess nothing was implemented?

I lost interest in this proposal as it seemed to not needed very often.
It would be trivial to implement if ebuild developers think it is a priority.

> Thanks.

[1] 'Now - until I'm finished' is typically an invalid window. I
suggest you make some estimates on how long the moves will take you.
Also give yourself some cushion time and make sure you have enough
time to back out of the chance in case something goes awry.