[gentoo-dev] [RFC] LXDE project

Ben de Groot

Aug 31, 2008, 8:20:06 AM8/31/08
Hi everyone,

I recently got interested in LXDE[1], the Lightweight X11 Desktop
Environment, and I would like to see this available in portage. At the
moment there are, to my knowledge, 3 overlays maintained by users that
include ebuilds for lxde. I think it is time to combine efforts and get
these packages into the official tree.

I have therefor created an LXDE project page[2] under the Desktop
top-level project. My idea is to initially start an official overlay and
develop the needed packages in there. I am actively encouraging users to
participate in development and maintenance, and of course I am extending
the invitation to any Gentoo developers who would like to join. I don't
want to spread myself too thin, and having more experienced developers
involved with the project would be a good thing.

Any constructive feedback is welcome!

[1] http://lxde.org/about.html
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/lxde/

Regards,
Ben

signature.asc

Josh Saddler

Aug 31, 2008, 5:20:12 PM8/31/08

I started using LXDE when I was trying out a bunch of lightweight
alternative distros -- it really is nice to run; lighter than even Xfce.
Once you get the packages into Portage and stabilized, I'll be happy to
write up the installation guide; it deserves a spot right up there with
our Gnome/KDE/Xfce/Fluxbox guides.

signature.asc

Donnie Berkholz

Sep 5, 2008, 2:20:09 AM9/5/08
On 14:16 Sun 31 Aug , Ben de Groot wrote:
> I have therefor created an LXDE project page[2] under the Desktop
> top-level project. My idea is to initially start an official overlay and
> develop the needed packages in there. I am actively encouraging users to
> participate in development and maintenance, and of course I am extending
> the invitation to any Gentoo developers who would like to join. I don't
> want to spread myself too thin, and having more experienced developers
> involved with the project would be a good thing.
>
> Any constructive feedback is welcome!

Great, thanks! For future reference, please get in touch with me to talk
about new desktop subprojects.

Let me know whether there's anything I can do as desktop lead to make
your work easier.

--
Thanks,
Donnie