Anyone got qc-usb working with kernel 2.6.28 and amd64?

Micha Feigin

Jan 4, 2009, 8:30:07 PM1/4/09
I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on logitec)
working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I managed to fix
compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug tracking system plus some
extra modifications. The resulting driver loads and recognizes the camera but
xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test program that comes with
driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem to give and image for read
mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv which complains
HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to capture video memory.
I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the newest e1000e for my network card
(anything older and the network card isn't supported).

Thanks

Micha Feigin

Jan 4, 2009, 9:20:06 PM1/4/09
Turns out that the camera mostly works (camorama and v4lgrab.c both work,
xinetv doesn't) seems that just opencv won't work with the camera with and error

HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to capture video memory.
any ideas on what could this be?

Thanks

Arthur Marsh

Jan 4, 2009, 9:30:11 PM1/4/09
Micha Feigin wrote, on 2009-01-05 11:54:
> I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on logitec)
> working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I managed to fix
> compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug tracking system plus some
> extra modifications. The resulting driver loads and recognizes the camera but
> xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test program that comes with
> driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem to give and image for read
> mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv which complains
> HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to capture video memory.
> I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the newest e1000e for my network card
> (anything older and the network card isn't supported).
>
> Thanks

A couple of quick pointers to help you get more help:

1) post the output of lsusb for the device, and google for it

2) if you don't mind looking at a high volume message area, subscribe to
gmane.comp.video.video4linux at gmane.org (mailing-list to newsgroup
gateway) and post a query there.

3) There are also the sites http://moinejf.free.fr/ and
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/

Arthur.

Micha Feigin

Jan 4, 2009, 10:40:05 PM1/4/09
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:53:41 +1030
Arthur Marsh <arthur...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote, on 2009-01-05 11:54:
> > I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on
> > logitec) working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I managed to
> > fix compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug tracking system
> > plus some extra modifications. The resulting driver loads and recognizes
> > the camera but xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test
> > program that comes with driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem
> > to give and image for read mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv
> > which complains HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to capture
> > video memory. I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the newest e1000e
> > for my network card (anything older and the network card isn't supported).
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> A couple of quick pointers to help you get more help:

Looks like it's a hardware or driver problem as the camera is just not
reporting that it has any capabilities. I hacked the code opencv code to ignore
that and proceed blind and now it's working.

Thanks.

subscriptions

Jan 6, 2009, 2:00:14 PM1/6/09
On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 02:24 +0100, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on
> logitec) working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I
> managed to fix compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug
> tracking system plus some extra modifications. The resulting driver
> loads and recognizes the camera but
> xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test program that
> comes with driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem to give
> and image for read mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv
> which complains HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to
> capture video memory. I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the
> newest e1000e for my network card
> (anything older and the network card isn't supported).
>
> Thanks

Hi,

I got qc-usb v1.8 working under 2.6.26-1-686. It needs a patch though.

qc-usb-messenger:
http://home.mag.cx/messenger/source/qc-usb-messenger-1.8.tar.gz
patch:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-video/qc-usb-messenger/files/qc-usb-messenger-1.8-kcompat-2.6.26.patch?rev=1.1
or http://tinyurl.com/6wk4sm

Best,

Rob

subscriptions

Jan 6, 2009, 2:00:15 PM1/6/09
On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 20:51 +0200, subscriptions wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 02:24 +0100, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on
> > logitec) working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I
> > managed to fix compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug
> > tracking system plus some extra modifications. The resulting driver
> > loads and recognizes the camera but
> > xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test program that
> > comes with driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem to give
> > and image for read mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv
> > which complains HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to
> > capture video memory. I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the
> > newest e1000e for my network card
> > (anything older and the network card isn't supported).
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi,
>
> I got qc-usb v1.8 working under 2.6.26-1-686. It needs a patch though.
>
> qc-usb-messenger:
> http://home.mag.cx/messenger/source/qc-usb-messenger-1.8.tar.gz
> patch:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-video/qc-usb-messenger/files/qc-usb-messenger-1.8-kcompat-2.6.26.patch?rev=1.1
> or http://tinyurl.com/6wk4sm
>
> Best,
>
> Rob

Forgot to mention: you can change the behaviour by loading the driver
with additional parameters. See modinfo on the module:

mycomputer:/home/myname # modinfo qcmessenger
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/misc/qcmessenger.ko
license: GPL
author: See README
alias: usb:v046Dp08DAd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v046Dp08F6d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v046Dp08F5d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v046Dp08F0d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends: usbcore,videodev
vermagic: 2.6.26-1-686 SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm: qcdebug:Sets the debug output (bitfield) (int)
parm: keepsettings:Keep picture settings across one open to
another (0-1) (int)
parm: settle:Maximum number of frames to wait picture
brightness to settle (0-255) (int)
parm: subsample:Sets subsampling (0-1) (int)
parm: compress:Enable compressed mode (0-1) (int)
parm: frameskip:How frequently capture frames (0-10) (int)
parm: quality:Sets the picture quality (0-5) (int)
parm: adaptive:Automatic adaptive brightness control (0-1)
(int)
parm: shutteradapt:Automatic adaptive shutter control (0-1)
(int)
parm: equalize:Equalize image (0-1) (int)
parm: userlut:Apply user-specified lookup-table (0-1) (int)
parm: retryerrors:Retry if image capture fails, otherwise
return error code (0-1) (int)
parm: compatible:Enable workaround for bugs in application
programs (bitfield) (int)
parm: video_nr:Set videodevice number (/dev/videoX) (int)

To automatically set parameters when plugging the camera, I have the
following in /etc/modprobe.d/local:

mycomputer:/home/myname# cat /etc/modprobe.d/local
options qcmessenger compatible=6 quality=2 subsample=1

Micha Feigin

Jan 7, 2009, 7:10:06 AM1/7/09
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 20:51:00 +0200
subscriptions <subscr...@rdegraaf.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 02:24 +0100, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Web (lego webcam based on
> > logitec) working on my box running kernel 2.6.28 amd64 kernel. I
> > managed to fix compilation errors using a patch I found on the bug
> > tracking system plus some extra modifications. The resulting driver
> > loads and recognizes the camera but
> > xawtv doesn't give any output (black screen), the test program that
> > comes with driver gives zeros for mem_map mode, it does seem to give
> > and image for read mode. I also tried a sample program with opencv
> > which complains HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: device /dev/video0 is unable to
> > capture video memory. I can't downgrade the kernel since I need the
> > newest e1000e for my network card
> > (anything older and the network card isn't supported).
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi,
>
> I got qc-usb v1.8 working under 2.6.26-1-686. It needs a patch though.

Thing is AFAIK I need qc-usb and not qc-usb-messenger. At least
qc-usb-messenger didn't seem to recognize the camera