chkrootkit detects hidden processes in mozilla-firefox and xmms

Rick Luddy

Mar 2, 2004, 3:30:09 PM3/2/04
I'm not entirely sure whether this is normal behavior, a symptom of possible
badness, or simple user error. I'm a bit worried it might mean my system
has been compromised. Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

When I run chkrootkit (0.43-1), I get nothing unusual other than the
lines:

Checking `lkm'... You have 4 process hidden for readdir command
You have 4 process hidden for ps command
Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

When I investigate further by running chkproc -v -v I get:

PID 4118: not in readdir output
PID 4118: not in ps output
CWD 4118: /home/rick
EXE 4118: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin
PID 4120: not in readdir output
PID 4120: not in ps output
CWD 4120: /home/rick
EXE 4120: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin
PID 4128: not in readdir output
PID 4128: not in ps output
CWD 4128: /home/rick
EXE 4128: /usr/bin/xmms
PID 4129: not in readdir output
PID 4129: not in ps output
CWD 4129: /home/rick
EXE 4129: /usr/bin/xmms
You have 4 process hidden for readdir command
You have 4 process hidden for ps command

I'm using xmms 1.2.10-1, mozilla-firefox 0.8-3, and chkrootkit 0.43-1 ,
all gotten from ftp.us.debian.org through apt-get. If I exit firefox and
xmms, chkrootkit doesn't have a problem any longer, so I don't think it's
another program pretending to have a false name.

Shaul Karl

Mar 2, 2004, 8:10:09 PM3/2/04

You might be interested in http://bugs.debian.org/222179. I wonder if
there is a process with a pid of {4125,4126,4127} that have tasks with a
pid of 4128 and 4129.
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I

Rick Luddy

Mar 2, 2004, 8:30:10 PM3/2/04
> I'm not entirely sure whether this is normal behavior, a
> symptom of possible badness, or simple user error. I'm a bit
> worried it might mean my system has been compromised. Any help
> or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

You might be interested in http://bugs.debian.org/222179. I

wonder if there is a process with a pid of {4125,4126,4127} that
have tasks with a pid of 4128 and 4129.

Thanks, that turns out to be the case. Checking now I see all of the
"hidden" processes under /proc/N/task of the related process.

I had known about the [now-fixed, I think] bug in chkrootkit where it
thought ksoftirqd and a few other kernel things were suspicious, but
I didn't know about it getting confused by user things.

My blood pressure is down a lot now, thanks again!

Paul Johnson

Mar 3, 2004, 3:10:05 AM3/3/04