vmware-server with 2.6.24

Alex Samad

Mar 17, 2008, 4:20:25 AM3/17/08
Hi

I was wondering if any one has got this combo to work with the
vmware-package package. I have it working on 2.6.22

I have done a google, and seen people have got it working with the
vmware installer (and patches)

alex
--
"I think the American people -- I hope the American -- I don't think, let me -- I hope the American people trust me."

- George W. Bush
12/18/2002
Washington, DC

signature.asc

Damon L. Chesser

Mar 17, 2008, 10:00:19 PM3/17/08
Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if any one has got this combo to work with the
> vmware-package package. I have it working on 2.6.22
>
> I have done a google, and seen people have got it working with the
> vmware installer (and patches)
>
> alex

I always just downloaded the rpm package. Run alien --with-scripts to
make a .deb (man alien, exact syntax is lacking), install said .deb with
dpkg -i

run vmware-config.pl If you run into any gcc issues, read the error
message, make a sim link as suggested. Your done.

Always worked for me, running vmworkstation here on 2.6.22 (however it
is Ubuntu, but until a week ago, I had Sid and it worked there).

--
Damon L. Chesser
da...@damtek.com

Alex Samad

Mar 18, 2008, 12:00:22 AM3/18/08
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:56:56PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was wondering if any one has got this combo to work with the
>> vmware-package package. I have it working on 2.6.22
>>
>> I have done a google, and seen people have got it working with the
>> vmware installer (and patches)
>>
>> alex
>>
> I always just downloaded the rpm package. Run alien --with-scripts to
> make a .deb (man alien, exact syntax is lacking), install said .deb with
> dpkg -i
>
> run vmware-config.pl If you run into any gcc issues, read the error
> message, make a sim link as suggested. Your done.
>
> Always worked for me, running vmworkstation here on 2.6.22 (however it
> is Ubuntu, but until a week ago, I had Sid and it worked there).
well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel
and a apt-get install vmware-XXX

my problem was with 2.6.24.

I try and do it with apt if possible

> --
> Damon L. Chesser
> da...@damtek.com
>

> --

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."

- George W. Bush
05/24/2005
Greece, NY

signature.asc

Damon L. Chesser

Mar 18, 2008, 10:10:17 AM3/18/08
Alex Samad wrote:

SNIP

> well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel
> and a apt-get install vmware-XXX
>
> my problem was with 2.6.24.
>
> I try and do it with apt if possible

If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using
apt. The packagemanager knows it is installed. Apt is not magical. It
is a front end to dpkg.

I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I
don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb. Using Alien
--with-scripts makes me a .deb. So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10
this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have
to muck with mod assistant.

Alex Samad

Mar 18, 2008, 9:10:09 PM3/18/08
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:05:44AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>
> SNIP
>> well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel
>> and a apt-get install vmware-XXX
>>
>> my problem was with 2.6.24.
>>
>> I try and do it with apt if possible
>
> If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using
> apt. The packagemanager knows it is installed. Apt is not magical. It
> is a front end to dpkg.
true

> I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I
> don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb. Using Alien
> --with-scripts makes me a .deb. So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10
> this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have
> to muck with mod assistant.

I will have to have a look at it. I guess before 2.6.24 module assist
wasn't a problem

> Damon L. Chesser
>
> da...@damtek.com
>

> --

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

- George W. Bush
09/13/2000
Westminster, CA

signature.asc

Micha

Mar 19, 2008, 10:20:04 AM3/19/08
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:41:53 +1100
Alex Samad <al...@samad.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:05:44AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > Alex Samad wrote:
> >
> > SNIP
> >> well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel
> >> and a apt-get install vmware-XXX
> >>
> >> my problem was with 2.6.24.
> >>
> >> I try and do it with apt if possible
> >
> > If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using
> > apt. The packagemanager knows it is installed. Apt is not magical. It
> > is a front end to dpkg.
> true
>

> > I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I
> > don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb. Using Alien
> > --with-scripts makes me a .deb. So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10
> > this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have
> > to muck with mod assistant.
> I will have to have a look at it. I guess before 2.6.24 module assist
> wasn't a problem

from installing it some a few days ago for a test, the problem is that it won't
install directly since one of the headers for the kernel driver includes
(IIRC the include name) asm/bitops.h instead of linux/bitops.h so I had to
pause (Ctrl-Z) the compilation in the middle and fix the file.

If there is a debian package or you know how to get at the module files then
this can probably be avoided.

Alex Samad

Mar 19, 2008, 5:10:06 PM3/19/08
I have found from previous times trying to install vmware not to look to
hard, sometimes it just go to far, which is why I try and kiss it. So
tried out the any-any stuff, it worked so I was happy.

But knowing it is a simple things as changing a header file name, I
might re look at it and go back to the kernel modules from the vmware
tar ball

> If there is a debian package or you know how to get at the module files then
> this can probably be avoided.

afaik there are none, apart from the build your own. Not sure how
vmware would feel about people distributing pre packaged deb's of there
stuff ? pretty sure it doesn't meet debian guidelines either

> > > Damon L. Chesser
> > >
> > > da...@damtek.com
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> --

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."

- George W. Bush
01/27/2000
Greater Nashua, NH, Chamber of Commerce

signature.asc

Mirco Piccin

Mar 19, 2008, 5:30:16 PM3/19/08
Hi all.

> I have found from previous times trying to install vmware not to look to
> hard, sometimes it just go to far, which is why I try and kiss it. So
> tried out the any-any stuff, it worked so I was happy.

> But knowing it is a simple things as changing a header file name, I
> might re look at it and go back to the kernel modules from the vmware
> tar ball

yes, you must modify the /vmmon-only/include/vcpuset.h included in
vmmon.tar (into vmware-any-any-update115.tar.gz)

SO:

# wget http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update115.tar.gz
# tar zxvf vmware-any-any-update115.tar.gz
# cd vmware-any-any-update115
# cp vmmon.tar vmmon.tar.ori
# tar xvf vmmon.tar

You must modify ./vmmon-only/include/vcpuset.h
edit
#include "asm/bitops.h"
to obtain
#include "linux/bitops.h"

so, finally, you'll have:
#elif defined MODULE
#include "linux/bitops.h"
#elif defined __APPLE__ && defined KERNEL

Recreate the tar file and run the runme.pl (instead of vmware-config.pl)

# tar cvfp vmmon.tar vmmon-only
# ./runme.pl

Hope this help.
Regards

Berni Elbourn

Mar 20, 2008, 5:30:13 AM3/20/08

Brad Brock

Mar 22, 2008, 12:20:35 AM3/22/08
AFAIK, vmware workstation 6 and vmware server 1.0.4 don't need any patch. I've tried both of them on 2.6.22 and 2.6.24. Both run very well.

Alex Samad

Mar 30, 2008, 10:30:13 PM3/30/08
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:24:20PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just thought I would update this,
>
> I just tried to build some more deb's from the vmware downloads.
>
> What I found (with the new vmware-packages 0.22) is
> I can easily build the server and the blobs and the console
>
> I had to use any-any-115a, with make-vmware -u 115a -s -p any-any <tgz>
> The resultant vmware kernel source file build .
>
> I tried make-vmware with 116, but could not build the kernel module
sorry on a retry I was able to build the 116 kernel module (had to clean
out the orig stuff)

--
"More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."

- George W. Bush
09/26/2005
On NPR's Morning Edition

signature.asc

Alex Samad

Mar 30, 2008, 10:30:16 PM3/30/08
Hi

Just thought I would update this,

I just tried to build some more deb's from the vmware downloads.

What I found (with the new vmware-packages 0.22) is
I can easily build the server and the blobs and the console

I had to use any-any-115a, with make-vmware -u 115a -s -p any-any <tgz>
The resultant vmware kernel source file build .

I tried make-vmware with 116, but could not build the kernel module

note the changelog for vmware-package says you can build against the

2.6.24 tree, but as yet I haven't been able to (I haven't tried very
hard to find out what the problem might be)

Alex

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:59:08PM -0700, Brad Brock wrote:

> Berni Elbourn <be...@elbournb.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: http://blog.creonfx.com/temp/vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz works for me.
>

> --
>
> AFAIK, vmware workstation 6 and vmware server 1.0.4 don't need any patch. I've tried both of them on 2.6.22 and 2.6.24. Both run very well.
>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

signature.asc

Mirco Piccin

Apr 9, 2008, 3:50:19 PM4/9/08
Hi all
About vmware server and 2.6.24 kernel:

> > > AFAIK, vmware workstation 6 and vmware server 1.0.4 don't need any patch. I've tried both of them on 2.6.22 and 2.6.24. Both run very well.

I've right now installed the new (3 weeks ago) server release with the
any-any-update "support", and in specific:

VMware-server-1.0.5-80187
vmware-any-any-update-116

It works well.
Regards