Cannot configure Synaptics touchpad - Requires SHMConfig

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Nov 19, 2008, 6:10:12 PM11/19/08
I'm trying to use gsynaptics to configure the touchpad in an Acer
6292 laptop. However, it says it needs the SHMConfig option to be
enabled. There are problems also with synclient, for example:

# synclient -h
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

However, I did enable that option. Here's my full xorg.conf file:

--------
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "abnt2"
Option "XkbLayout" "br"
Option "XkbVariant" "abnt2"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection
----------

I've also created a file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi, following
instructions I fould somewhere in the net with these contents:

-----------
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
</match>
</device>
-----------

However, even after several reboots, I still cannot run the programs
to configure the touchpad.

My kernel is
Linux vingilot 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 9 15:18:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
and my xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package is 0.14.7~git20070706-3.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
edu...@kalinowski.com.br

Sebastian Canagaratna

Nov 19, 2008, 7:50:11 PM11/19/08
I think you have to add the following to your xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Server Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "Core Keyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "Core Pointer"
EndSection

At least, for me I had to add this before it would work. Then you can
run gsynaptics and configure it

Sebastian Canagaratna

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Nov 20, 2008, 5:30:19 AM11/20/08
Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> I think you have to add the following to your xorg.conf
>

> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Server Layout"
> Screen "Default Screen"
> InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "Core Keyboard"
> InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "Core Pointer"
> EndSection
>
> At least, for me I had to add this before it would work. Then you can
> run gsynaptics and configure it

Thanks, that did the trick. Only I used "CoreKeyboard" and
"CorePointer", with no spaces.

It seems the minimal xorg.conf files do not work perfectly always...

--
A Difficulty for Every Solution.
-- Motto of the Federal Civil Service

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI