X issue? No mouse cursor in between sessions (sometimes).

Nuno Magalhães

Jan 1, 2009, 5:30:12 PM1/1/09
Greetings,

I have a regular optical USB mouse conected to PS/2. Occasionaly i
come home to the gdm login screen, turn on the monitor and discover i
have no mouse cursor. I can login and do whatever i want, the mouse is
there and works, but i see no pointer.

I've tried issuing kill -HUP to both gdm (two instances?) and Xorg as
well as killing them both and restarting gdm. There's a process called
kpsmoused i can't seem to kill. So far the only "solution" i've found
is the rather unelegant reboot. I mostly use fluxbox but i don't think
that's relevant and i believe that it has happened with gnome as well.
There's no particular pattern i can follow to duplicate this, i log
in/out all the time. I last ran apt-get dist-upgrade a few days ago
but this particular issue still persists and, if i remember right, it
happens not only in between sessions but during a session as well.

Here's some useful info:
Debian unstable running on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard.
.
shell: dmesg |grep mouse
[ 0.917797] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /class/input/input0
[ 0.928133] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

shell: lspci |less
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce
6150] (rev a2)

shell: Xorg -version
X.Org X Server 1.4.2
Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-9)
Current Operating System: Linux deb64 2.6.26-1-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15
17:25:36 UTC 2008 x86_64
Build Date: 15 November 2008 06:52:35PM
Module Loader present

Is the SMP for multiprocessor? 'Cos i only have one... I also don't
have Bluetooth but that shows up on my dmesg.

shell: cat xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0
Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

TIA and happy new year for those of you following the Gregorian calendar,
Nuno Magalhães

Nuno Magalhães

Feb 20, 2009, 5:40:08 PM2/20/09
On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM, i wrote:

this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/01/msg00139.html

which got no response. I couldn't even register in the X.org's mailing
list 'cos it kept giving me "mailman error"s. After pestering debian's
irc channel on freenode, CutMeOwnThroat pointed me to this thread:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-linux&m=116983714009897&w=2

...which solved the issue. At least so far i haven't lost the mouse
and it's been 7 days running. Anyone having the same problem (mouse
cursor disappearing) can use this. Short answer, add
Option "HWCursor" "off"
to the Device section of your xorg.conf

HTH the next guy

Nuno Magalhães