Sound isnt working properly

Gregor Galwas

Aug 14, 2009, 2:20:07 PM8/14/09
Hello,

I've bought a new mainboard recently. I replaced my old mainboard with the
new one. The debian (unstable) installation is still the same, nothing has
been changed.
I booted it up - so far it seemed everything was okay. Unfortunately sound
isnt working properly.
As far as I see

vlc is working sometimes with mp3 + some videos
gmplayer is not
aplay is not
games are not
amarok is not
kde is playing with login music

starting aplay results in:

mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/drm$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
aplay: main:608: audio open error: Invalid argument

(g)mplayer:

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf)
The field ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Invalid argument
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

vlc mostly with

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
[0x2c40b08] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)

games (nexuiz for example)

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)

this is all with user. the user mcgreg is added to the group audio.

As *root* :

pegasos:/home/mcgreg# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:608: audio open error: Device or resource busy

Ok, I really hope this isnt a simple configuration error somehow made by
me.

Any ideas?

Additional Information:

mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/mesa$ lspci
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
[1002:4383]

mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/mesa$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfbdf4000 irq 16
1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbeec000 irq 19

Ron Johnson

Aug 14, 2009, 2:30:16 PM8/14/09
On 2009-08-14 12:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
[snip]

> mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/drm$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
> ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
> aplay: main:608: audio open error: Invalid argument

The error messages seem to be telling you how to solve the error.

So, unless I stupidly glossed over something in your email: have you
added "mcgreg" to group "audio" and then re-logged in?

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer

Gregor Galwas

Aug 14, 2009, 3:00:20 PM8/14/09
Well, maybe my mail wasn't that clear. I *replaced* a mainboard which was
in there for about 3 years with working sound :)
So yes, I was in the group and have re-logged, about thoundsands of times
:)

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:27:17 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l....@cox.net>
wrote:

> On 2009-08-14 12:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
> [snip]
>> mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/drm$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
>> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
>> ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
>> aplay: main:608: audio open error: Invalid argument
>
> The error messages seem to be telling you how to solve the error.
>
> So, unless I stupidly glossed over something in your email: have you
> added "mcgreg" to group "audio" and then re-logged in?

Ron Johnson

Aug 14, 2009, 3:20:09 PM8/14/09
On 2009-08-14 13:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
> Well, maybe my mail wasn't that clear. I *replaced* a mainboard which
> was in there for about 3 years with working sound :)
> So yes, I was in the group and have re-logged, about thoundsands of
> times :)

Ok, just wanted to make sure. Same results with /usr/bin/speaker-test ?

Is the correct drive module loaded?

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:27:17 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l....@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-08-14 12:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> mcgreg@pegasos:~/git/drm$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
>>> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
>>> ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
>>> aplay: main:608: audio open error: Invalid argument
>>
>> The error messages seem to be telling you how to solve the error.
>>
>> So, unless I stupidly glossed over something in your email: have you
>> added "mcgreg" to group "audio" and then re-logged in?

--

Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer

Gregor Galwas

Aug 15, 2009, 2:50:07 AM8/15/09
user:

mcgreg@pegasos:~$ speaker-test

speaker-test 1.0.20

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)

Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)

Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument

root:

pegasos:/home/mcgreg# speaker-test

speaker-test 1.0.20

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy

About the driver module ... I guess so? Since as I wriote in my first
mail, kde is able to output sound - I hear the kde jingle when you log in
(the screen ends botting) and vlc can play some files. dunno why or how.

I checked /dev/dsp ... it has owner root / group 29
from /etc/group I see 29 is audio - I am part of the group.

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:17:36 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l....@cox.net>
wrote:

> On 2009-08-14 13:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
>> Well, maybe my mail wasn't that clear. I *replaced* a mainboard which
>> was in there for about 3 years with working sound :)
>> So yes, I was in the group and have re-logged, about thoundsands of
>> times :)
>
> Ok, just wanted to make sure. Same results with /usr/bin/speaker-test ?
>
> Is the correct drive module loaded?
>
>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:27:17 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l....@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2009-08-14 12:58, Gregor Galwas wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The error messages seem to be telling you how to solve the error.
>>>
>>> So, unless I stupidly glossed over something in your email: have you
>>> added "mcgreg" to group "audio" and then re-logged in?

Elimar Riesebieter

Aug 15, 2009, 8:30:11 AM8/15/09
* Gregor Galwas [090814 19:58 +0200]

> Hello,
>
> I've bought a new mainboard recently. I replaced my old mainboard with the
> new one. The debian (unstable) installation is still the same, nothing has
> been changed.
> I booted it up - so far it seemed everything was okay. Unfortunately sound
> isnt working properly.
> As far as I see

So I guess your soundcard changed as well. Please post the output
of:

$ lsmod | grep snd
$ cat /etc/modules
$ cat /etc/modprobe/sound
$ cat /etc/modprobe/sound.conf
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
$ cat /proc/asound/version
# lspci -vv | grep -i audio -A 14

Elimar

--
Planung:
Ersatz des Zufalls durch den Irrtum.

Ron Johnson

Aug 15, 2009, 10:00:28 AM8/15/09
On 2009-08-15 01:43, Gregor Galwas wrote:
[snip]

> root:
>
> pegasos:/home/mcgreg# speaker-test
>
> speaker-test 1.0.20
>
> Playback device is default
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
>
> About the driver module ... I guess so? Since as I wriote in my first
> mail, kde is able to output sound - I hear the kde jingle when you log
> in (the screen ends botting) and vlc can play some files. dunno why or how.

That's a clue that aRts has taken over your card.

Try a native KDE audio player.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer

Gregor Galwas

Aug 17, 2009, 3:30:12 AM8/17/09
Ok, found the problem - kind of.

1. /etc/group was *READ*/write only to root. group/other were totally
forbidden.
Alsa couldn't read /etc/group and could't check if a user has the right to
play audio
-> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field

ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)

2. knotify4 was blocking the sound. I renamed it. Done. Now everything
play fine, even 5.1 sorround-sound is fine.

Thank you for your help :)

Greetings
Gregor Galwas

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:58:11 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l....@cox.net>
wrote:

> On 2009-08-15 01:43, Gregor Galwas wrote:

> [snip]
>> root:
>> pegasos:/home/mcgreg# speaker-test
>> speaker-test 1.0.20
>> Playback device is default
>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
>> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
>> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
>> Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
>> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
>> Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
>> About the driver module ... I guess so? Since as I wriote in my first
>> mail, kde is able to output sound - I hear the kde jingle when you log
>> in (the screen ends botting) and vlc can play some files. dunno why or
>> how.
>
> That's a clue that aRts has taken over your card.
>
> Try a native KDE audio player.

s. keeling

Aug 17, 2009, 5:10:06 PM8/17/09
Gregor Galwas <g.ga...@highantdev.de>:

> Ok, found the problem - kind of.
>
> 1. /etc/group was *READ*/write only to root. group/other were totally
> forbidden.

Just to verify, are you sure that was /etc/group, or might it have
been /etc/group- (namely its backup copy)? The latter should be 600.

> Alsa couldn't read /etc/group and could't check if a user has the right to
> play audio
> -> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1605:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
> ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
>
> 2. knotify4 was blocking the sound. I renamed it. Done. Now everything
> play fine, even 5.1 sorround-sound is fine.

Gregor Galwas

Aug 19, 2009, 2:40:10 AM8/19/09
I checked /etc/group on my laptop (freshly installed debian system) and it
was read/write to root , read to group/others.
MY /etc/group was read/write to root, forbidden to group/others.

Yes, the backup-copy (group-) is read/write to root, forbidden to
group/others.

I am sure it was like that.
Beside that it started working after that correction.