Grub error 18

Jason Millis

Feb 16, 2009, 9:10:08 PM2/16/09
I'm currently trying to install Debian (4.0) onto a 2.5" Seagate 60GB hard drive in a usb caddy (which is detected as a SCSI drive).
Debian installs fine but then I get back an "Error 18" (which I've looked up, is due to a larger hard drive than the motherboards bios recognises).
I've tried to solve the problem aany times with teh following steps:

Trouble shooting steps:
-Flash the bios to the latest version - It updated but ddidn't change the outcome
-Change the CHS/LBA - Because thisis a SCSI dive it's not listed in the bios so these settings cannot be changed.
-Put the boot section in a seperate partition at the beginning of the hard drive - I've tried giving the partition a 1GB partition for boot, but i get the same error

The strange thing is that Debian installs and boots fine on an 3.5", 80GB maxtor, but I need to use a 2.5" rather than a 3.5".

System:
VIA EPIA M6000G with 600Mhz (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=81)
Bios V. 1.16 (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?motherboard_id=81)
512RAM

Any help would be greatfully apreciated.

Jason Millis

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now