"Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop" & "APT::Force-LoopBreak"

1 view

cel...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2005, 9:00:10 PM10/26/05

I run a somewhat out of date installation of Testing. When trying to
update
some packages, apt-get fails with the following message:

---
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often
bad, but
if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs"
---

From 'man apt-get':

---
Force-LoopBreak
Never Enable this option unless you -really- know what
you are
doing. It per-
mits APT to temporarily remove an essential package to
break a
Conflicts/Con-
flicts or Conflicts/Pre-Depend loop between two
essential
packages. SUCH A
LOOP SHOULD NEVER EXIST AND IS A GRAVE BUG. This
option
will work if the
essential packages are not tar, gzip, libc, dpkg, bash or
anything that those
packages depend on.
---

I do -not- really know what I am doing :). How / where should I report
this
"GRAVE BUG", and how might I solve this problem? Is it safe to do a
'Force-
LoopBreak' in this case?

I can supply the output of 'dpkg -l' and the exact list of packages
that I was
attempting to install / upgrade upon request.

Kent West

Oct 26, 2005, 9:40:08 PM10/26/05
cel...@gmail.com wrote:

I've run into this on my last two installs, using an older pre-Sarge
netinstall CD, and then trying to upgrade to current Sid.

In both cases, I was able to get around the problem by creating the file
"/etc/apt/apt.conf" and putting in it the line:

APT::Force-LoopBreak "true";

After doing my upgrade, I remove/rename that file to avoid potential
issues in the future.

I'm not sure where to file a bug report; probably against apt-get. I
believe the package "reportbug" might help in this process.

--
Kent

cel...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2005, 2:40:15 PM10/27/05
Well, I bit the bullet and went ahead with it. My sytem seems to be
sane, although I did get many scary warnings from dpkg during the
upgrade. I also got many complaints from perl about problems setting
the locales for several packages, but I suppose that has nothing to do
with the original problem. Now I'm going to look into where to report
this. Thanks for the help, Kent.