unable to burn DVD

Paul Cartwright

Dec 24, 2008, 10:10:19 AM12/24/08
I'm not sure when this started, I don't burn that many discs of any type..
started up braseros, to burn a DVD that was only 1.8Gb. got this error:
<SNIP>
roGrowisofs stderr: Done with: The File(s)
Block(s) 713532
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing: UDF Anchor end volume
Start Block 713812
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Anchor end volume
Block(s) 1
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing: UDF Pad end
Start Block 713813
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Pad end
Block(s) 150
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Max brk space used 0
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: 713963 extents written (1394 MB)
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ WRITE@LBA=ae4e0h failed with
SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error
BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error
BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error
error = 1
message = "Unhandled error, aborting"
BraseroGrowisofs stopping
BraseroGrowisofs got killed

Session error : Unhandled error, aborting (brasero_burn_record burn.c:2369)

any clues or where to look??
I was using the command line ( tovid, using ffmpeg) and was getting the same
error, so I thought I'd try braseros..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Ron Johnson

Dec 24, 2008, 10:40:14 AM12/24/08
On 12/24/08 09:05, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I'm not sure when this started, I don't burn that many discs of any type..
> started up braseros, to burn a DVD that was only 1.8Gb. got this error:
> <SNIP>
> roGrowisofs stderr: Done with: The File(s)
> Block(s) 713532
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing: UDF Anchor end volume
> Start Block 713812
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Anchor end volume
> Block(s) 1
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing: UDF Pad end
> Start Block 713813
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Pad end
> Block(s) 150
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Max brk space used 0
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: 713963 extents written (1394 MB)
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ WRITE@LBA=ae4e0h failed with
> SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
> BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error

This seems to be the key. Are you running out of disk space, maybe?

> BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error
> BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error
> BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error
> error = 1
> message = "Unhandled error, aborting"
> BraseroGrowisofs stopping
> BraseroGrowisofs got killed
>
> Session error : Unhandled error, aborting (brasero_burn_record burn.c:2369)
>

> any clues or where to look??
> I was using the command line ( tovid, using ffmpeg) and was getting the same
> error, so I thought I'd try braseros..

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Paul Cartwright

Dec 24, 2008, 12:00:20 PM12/24/08
On Wed December 24 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error
>
> This seems to be the key.  Are you running out of disk space, maybe?

paulandcilla:/home/pbc# df -h
/dev/sda6 20G 11G 8.2G 57% /
tmpfs 1013M 12K 1013M 1% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 144K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 1013M 0 1013M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda7 165G 90G 67G 58% /home
/dev/sdb1 19G 11G 6.6G 63% /disk2/root
/dev/sdb2 154G 74G 72G 51% /disk2/home
/dev/sdb5 68G 180M 65G 1% /disk2/cillas
/dev/sdb6 82G 184M 78G 1% /disk2/pictures
/dev/sdb3 138G 92G 39G 71% /disk2/pauls

I'm doing this in either /home or /disk2/pauls

I'll try to monitor it next time, while it is burning to see if something
GROWS..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459

A. F. Cano

Dec 24, 2008, 5:20:15 PM12/24/08
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:54:31AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed December 24 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error
> >
> > This seems to be the key.  Are you running out of disk space, maybe?
>
> paulandcilla:/home/pbc# df -h
> /dev/sda6 20G 11G 8.2G 57% /
> tmpfs 1013M 12K 1013M 1% /lib/init/rw
> udev 10M 144K 9.9M 2% /dev
> tmpfs 1013M 0 1013M 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda7 165G 90G 67G 58% /home
> /dev/sdb1 19G 11G 6.6G 63% /disk2/root
> /dev/sdb2 154G 74G 72G 51% /disk2/home
> /dev/sdb5 68G 180M 65G 1% /disk2/cillas
> /dev/sdb6 82G 184M 78G 1% /disk2/pictures
> /dev/sdb3 138G 92G 39G 71% /disk2/pauls
>
> I'm doing this in either /home or /disk2/pauls
>
> I'll try to monitor it next time, while it is burning to see if something
> GROWS..

Are these disks real SCSI or are they USB disks that appear as sd[ab]?
This might be important. I have recently used a laptop disk in
a usb external box and it appears that the usb-storage sub-system
generates such a voluminous (debugging?) output that /var/log/syslog,
/var/log/kern.log and /var/log/debug grow amazingly fast. If your /var
is in /dev/sda6, 8.2G could be filled up quicker than your CDs. If your
/var is somewhere smaller, so much the faster.

A.