Can't login when using kdm (KDE)

rs

Sep 3, 2005, 11:40:06 PM9/3/05

Debian / Sarge / main

Hi,

Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.

If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks

------------------------------------
$ cat ~/.xinitrc
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/startkde

Kent West

Sep 4, 2005, 12:20:06 AM9/4/05
rs wrote:

>Debian / Sarge / main
>
>Hi,
>
>Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.
>
>If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.
>
>Any ideas? Thanks
>
>------------------------------------
>$ cat ~/.xinitrc
>#!/bin/sh
>exec /usr/bin/startkde

Double-check that the pull-down menu that allows you to select which
window manager/environent you want is set to KDE; it sounds like it's
trying to start a wm/environment that doesn't exist.

--
Kent

rs

Sep 4, 2005, 1:30:17 AM9/4/05

> Double-check that the pull-down menu that allows you to select which
> window manager/environent you want is set to KDE; it sounds like it's
> trying to start a wm/environment that doesn't exist.

You mean the "Session Type"? Under the "session type" I have four (4) options: Default, Custom, KDE and Failsafe. I tried Default and KDE, the result is the same, i.e. the screen flickers a couple of times and kdm prompts for Id and password again. Thanks

------------------------------------

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Kent West

Sep 4, 2005, 2:10:06 AM9/4/05
rs wrote:

>>Double-check that the pull-down menu that allows you to select which
>>window manager/environent you want is set to KDE; it sounds like it's
>>trying to start a wm/environment that doesn't exist.
>>

>You mean the "Session Type"? Under the "session type" I have four (4) options: Default, Custom, KDE and Failsafe. I tried Default and KDE, the result is the same, i.e. the screen flickers a couple of times and kdm prompts for Id and password again. Thanks

Yes, that's what I meant.

Well, in that case, I believe I'd try creating a new user and try logging into KDE via KDM as that user. This will tell you if the problem is system-wide or specific to your user.

--
Kent

Rob Bochan

Sep 4, 2005, 8:10:13 AM9/4/05
On Sunday 04 September 2005 01:23 am, rs wrote:

> You mean the "Session Type"? Under the "session type" I have four (4)
> result is the same, i.e. the screen flickers a couple of times and kdm
> prompts for Id and password again. Thanks

Do you have the kpersonalizer package installed?
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=kpersonalizer&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

I've had similar issues and installing that made things work properly.

--

...Rob
Return address is obfuscated.

Nate Bargmann

Sep 4, 2005, 9:50:06 AM9/4/05
* rs <rusty...@myway.com> [2005 Sep 03 22:41 -0500]:

> Debian / Sarge / main
>
> Hi,
>
> Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.
>
> If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

I moved ~.Xauthority out of the way and let it be recreated. Works for
me now.

- Nate >>

--
Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

rs

Sep 4, 2005, 10:20:07 AM9/4/05

> Do you have the kpersonalizer package installed?

Yes. I installed kdebase and kpersonalizer is a part of it.

> Well, in that case, I believe I'd try creating a new user and try logging into
> KDE via KDM as that user. This will tell you if the problem is system-wide or
> specific to your user.

Created a new user. KDE shows the new user in the list of users available for login. But a login attemp via KDM fails with the same effects as before.

Thanks for any clues.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

rs

Sep 4, 2005, 10:40:11 AM9/4/05

> I moved ~.Xauthority out of the way and let it be recreated. Works for
> me now.

Removed ~.Xauthority and tried to login via KDM. The ~.Xauthority file was recreated but it had the size of 0 bytes. Not sure why.

When I login via regular console first and then start KDE with "startx", the ~.Xauthority appears to have some valid info and everything works fine.

Thanks

Andrew Sackville-West

Sep 4, 2005, 7:10:13 PM9/4/05
check the sticky bit on /tmp. sometimed it loses the sticky bit during
installs (IIRC) and then you can't log in.

andrew@basement:/$ ls -l | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt 13 root root 2048 Sep 3 15:01 tmp
^--- you should have a t here.

chmod 1777 /tmp should do it.

NOTE: I have no idea what the rest of the permissions are supposed to be
for /tmp, but this works for me.

Bob Proulx

Sep 4, 2005, 7:40:17 PM9/4/05
rs wrote:

> Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login
> when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user
> id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back
> to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.

This is an indication that the login session failed. This is usually
an error in one of the user startup scripts in your home directory.

> If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login
> as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can
> start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.

That is strange.

What errors are logged to the .xsession-errors file when you can't log
into the machine? There should be something interesting in there.

> ------------------------------------
> $ cat ~/.xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/startkde

This is not related to your current problem. But you will want this
too. You should additionally have a ~/.xsession file with the
following:

#!/bin/bash --login
exec /usr/bin/startkde

The ~/.xinitrc is used by the startx wrapper around xinit. The
~/.xsession is used by kdm/gdm/xdm when logging in from the graphical
login managers.

Bob

signature.asc

rs

Sep 4, 2005, 9:00:15 PM9/4/05

> What errors are logged to the .xsession-errors file when you can't log
> into the machine? There should be something interesting in there.

True, when login fails, it does create the .xsession-errors file.

# cat ~/.xsession-errors
Xsession: X session started for luser at Sun Sep 4 19:59:37 EDT 2005

That's it. Just one line, not much to go on.

> check the sticky bit on /tmp. sometimed it loses the sticky bit during
> installs (IIRC) and then you can't log in.

Seems fine.

# ls -l / | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt 7 root root 4096 Sep 4 20:17 tmp

Thanks

Bob Proulx

Sep 5, 2005, 1:10:25 AM9/5/05
rs wrote:
> > What errors are logged to the .xsession-errors file when you can't log
> > into the machine? There should be something interesting in there.
>
> True, when login fails, it does create the .xsession-errors file.
>
> # cat ~/.xsession-errors
> Xsession: X session started for luser at Sun Sep 4 19:59:37 EDT 2005
>
> That's it. Just one line, not much to go on.

I expected to see more than that. On a machine of mine I see this

Xsession: X session started for rwp at Mon Jun 27 13:18:44 MDT 2005
startkde: Starting up...

If you are not seeing the starting up message from startkde then I
would start debugging there. It is a shell script. The starting up
message is about half way down. So it should be possible to trace it
and to see where it goes bad for you.

Bob

signature.asc