kernel-package: 2.6.37 kernelrelease target no longer works

Cameron Hutchison

Jan 17, 2011, 7:00:02 PM1/17/11
I've built a new 2.6.37 kernel with kernel-package where I use an
"--append-to-version" option to add a hostname a build number.

Due to a change in the kernel Makefile, "make kernelrelease" no longer
gets the kernel release from include/config/kernel.release , but instead
uses scripts/setlocalversion . This causes problems because the extra
stuff added to EXTRAVERSION by --append-to-version is no longer there
when you run "make kernelrelease", so I get a bare kernel version
instead of my version.

The Linux Makefile change was made in commit 7b8ea53d.

I don't know whether this should be considered a bug in kernel-package
or the kernel. The kernel is no longer preserving the value of
EXTRAVERSION passed on the make command line when make is subsequently
invoked, whereas it previously did. But then, the kernel people don't
seem to care much about stable interfaces, so perhaps kernel-package
should adapt somehow.

What are people's thoughts?

For now, I'm going to revert 7b8ea53d in my tree so I can get VirtualBox
installing again (it compares $(uname -r) to $(make kernelrelease)), but
this should probably be fixed somewhere.